ADVERTISEMENT

Perkins off to the NFL

The one dominant guyI hoped would stay. Who will be his big replacement? The DL got knocked down a few steps...
Good luck to him. I am not an expert but I thought he would benefit from a full year and could be a first round pick after a great year. Pot essentially being legal in the NFL can change things. I think at best he is mid to late 2nd as it stands; only takes one team. I wish him the best. I think we will still have our best dline in many years, next year. If he had returned they might have been a dominant unit

We're in a new era of recruiting where recruits are leaving after three seasons or deciding to transfer at any time.
Meanwhile, the NFL continues to get a free "farm system"....one that is now more enhanced.

Reactions: Oklabama
DL probably shaping up as Bonitto (Edge LB) Thomas Redmond Ellison and Winfrey...with Stokes, Kelley, and Stripling getting into the rotation. Marcus Hicks is coming into the picture also.

Reactions: iasooner1
DL probably shaping up as Bonitto (Edge LB) Thomas Redmond Ellison and Winfrey...with Stokes, Kelley, and Stripling getting into the rotation. Marcus Hicks is coming into the picture also.

You know I shouldn’t be but I’m very disappointed. I was hoping for Creed, Rhamondre, and Ronnie to stay for another year. Seems like they’re leaving money on the table, a lot of money.

How good was Perkins & Stevenson? They were game changers for us. We never lost a game since their return this year. They are NFL good.

Reactions: ShamWowed
You know I shouldn’t be but I’m very disappointed. I was hoping for Creed, Rhamondre, and Ronnie to stay for another year. Seems like they’re leaving money on the table, a lot of money.

With that said, in this day and age, you have to develop your young players quickly. We need to have some production from the young guys.

he will be kicking himself next year after we win a national championship and he is getting his brains beat out

We're in a new era of recruiting where recruits are leaving after three seasons or deciding to transfer at any time.
Meanwhile, the NFL continues to get a free "farm system"....one that is now more enhanced.

college football is going down the shitter.

Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR
So now the two players (Stevenson and Perkins) who returned after their costly suspensions to salvage OU's 2020 season are gone to the NFL.....and yet there's so much talk of a possible national championship in 2021 without these two players, as well as a starting offensive lineman (Ealy), an elite defensive back (Tre Brown), the starting center (Humphrey) who's projected as a first round draft pick and both backup quarterbacks (Mordecai-Morris) who were solid contributors. Throw in Rambo, Conyers, Norwood, Barnes and Pledger and the "plot thickens".
I'll add that OU's early losses to Iowa State and Kansas State were directly related to the suspensions of Stevenson and Perkins as OU's win over Iowa State in the Big 12 Championship revealed. Iowa State would have likely won that game if OU was again without those two studs.
The transfer portals and early exits are wrecking CFB.....and it's probably strengthening the stranglehold on CFB by Saban's Alabama football factory. Kinda like the Dems controlling our government now.

I believe there are more talented players to be developed on the Sooners' roster that can fill the holes and the incoming recruits will have an impact.
Of course. There always are.
But what has been removed over the past two weeks may or may not be replaced fully by this coming season.
I am, however, seeing many good players available who are transferring....and February signees are in the mix.

Last edited:
Sooners get Brooks and Redmond back and face a very soft schedule. Big 12 will be worse this year, so there would be no reason we could not run the table. Iowa State is in Norman this year...hope we can pack the house if CoVid settles down and restrictions fade.

Sooners get Brooks and Redmond back and face a very soft schedule. Big 12 will be worse this year, so there would be no reason we could not run the table. Iowa State is in Norman this year...hope we can pack the house if CoVid settles down and restrictions fade.
A weak Big 12 does look very possible, but if you look at OU reaching a NATIONAL championship level....this year.....it's not likely. CFB seems to be too much about Alabama these days.

A weak Big 12 does look very possible, but if you look at OU reaching a NATIONAL championship level....this year.....it's not likely. CFB seems to be too much about Alabama these days.

Annual talk of next year being THE year makes me chuckle. OU is more likely to win another natty when least expected. 2000 style. And frankly that would be most enjoyable. Let’s face it. Winning it all is going to take luck even with a talented team as long as the B12 remains void of attracting players that can dominate both sides of the line. I’m hopeful that Riley continues to put more emphasis on running the ball and overall defense. But getting Alabama types to come play for him is still going to be a big challenge unless something changes.

Annual talk of next year being THE year makes me chuckle. OU is more likely to win another natty when least expected. 2000 style. And frankly that would be most enjoyable. Let’s face it. Winning it all is going to take luck even with a talented team as long as the B12 remains void of attracting players that can dominate both sides of the line. I’m hopeful that Riley continues to put more emphasis on running the ball and overall defense. But getting Alabama types to come play for him is still going to be a big challenge unless something changes.
Great post, Oklabama !
Winning a weak (or weaker than most) conference annually is fine, to a point. Then getting your butt kicked by an SEC team in the post season gets old and diminishes the perception of the Big 12 as well.
I think when a Sooner fan is in my age bracket and having had 7 national championships throughout his life, there's a concern when this team goes 21 years without a championship....and shows itself to be beneath the level of at least 3-4 teams each year. It has nothing to do with wanting another 47 game winning streak or a national championship annually, but 21 years is....21 years.

Great post, Oklabama !
Winning a weak (or weaker than most) conference annually is fine, to a point. Then getting your butt kicked by an SEC team in the post season gets old and diminishes the perception of the Big 12 as well.
I think when a Sooner fan is in my age bracket and having had 7 national championships throughout his life, there's a concern when this team goes 21 years without a championship....and shows itself to be beneath the level of at least 3-4 teams each year. It has nothing to do with wanting another 47 game winning streak or a national championship annually, but 21 years is....21 years.

Well to be fair we should have beaten Georgia and we kicked Florida pretty good. I think the only SEC team that has beaten us badly as of late is Alabama and they do that to many teams. I feel pretty good going into next season primarily because of the defense. We will need luck, as all teams do, but are chances seem better than they have in a long time.

Great post, Oklabama !

I’ve got a couple years on you, CT, but one thing we have in common is this dry spell is the longest of our lives and it’s getting old like us. Lol

Well to be fair we should have beaten Georgia and we kicked Florida pretty good. I think the only SEC team that has beaten us badly as of late is Alabama and they do that to many teams. I feel pretty good going into next season primarily because of the defense. We will need luck, as all teams do, but are chances seem better than they have in a long time.
Dont forget about LSU

If Redmon can stay healthy and he stayed in shaped this year, he is just as good as Perkins.

OU did not beat Georgia in 2017, as OU's typically poor defense did what it had usually done, wasting a 31-14 lead.
OU was mauled by Alabama and LSU in 2018 and 2019.
OU did beat a Florida team that had lost three games and 7 key starters before losing to OU.
I feel good about a winning record and a bowl bid this season as I do every year. I might feel better after all the dust settles this off season with more signees and transfers looming.

Reactions: soonersoldier
OU did not beat Georgia in 2017, as OU's typically poor defense did what it had usually done, wasting a 31-14 lead.
OU did beat a Florida team that had lost three games and 7 key starters before losing to OU.
I feel good about a winning record and a bowl bid this season as I do every year. I might feel better after all the dust settles this off season with more signees and transfers looming.
I put the loss against Georgia on LR. His play calling in the second half was questionable at best. Without the defense, in the 1st half, and the fumble recovery for td in the second half it wasn't going to be close. Bama I question his approach in that game too, but I don't think OU was winning that one regardless. LR has a championship caliber defense being built, he needs to be ready to finish the job with a great in game coaching performance.

I put the loss against Georgia on LR. His play calling in the second half was questionable at best. Without the defense, in the 1st half, and the fumble recovery for td in the second half it wasn't going to be close. Bama I question his approach in that game too, but I don't think OU was winning that one regardless. LR has a championship caliber defense being built, he needs to be ready to finish the job with a great in game coaching performance.
I credit Georgia and Alabama has having better teams and more experienced coaches.....Kirby Smart and Nick Saban with long track records of success.
48 points and 34 points SHOULD win playoff games. OU lost because the defense sucked.
As for Riley, his best is still ahead of him. He's better now than he was 3 years ago and 2020 revealed that he's getting better coaches which means better recruiting. Let's not forget Riley inherited a team that never learned to play defense.

I credit Georgia and Alabama has having better teams and more experienced coaches.....Kirby Smart and Nick Saban with long track records of success.
48 points and 34 points SHOULD win playoff games. OU lost because the defense sucked.
As for Riley, his best is still ahead of him. He's better now than he was 3 years ago and 2020 revealed that he's getting better coaches which means better recruiting. Let's not forget Riley inherited a team that never learned to play defense.
Fair enough. But I will disagree, Georgia was coached better. That OU team was better than Georgia even with the sub par defense. And I will add Kirby Smart's track record does not outweigh LR by that much if at all. And do not forget sometimes you have to score to win. On most occasions will 48 (overtime) and 34 win a game yes; but there are occasions where you have to outscore the opponent...in today's football more than ever.

Georgia played defense with one bad game that year, a 40-17 loss to a good Auburn team. Bulldogs were a better balanced team and somehow held OU to 17 points in the 4th and overtime periods.
OU has had numerous games in recent years where 40, 50 and even 60 points had to be scored to win (that kind of football doesn't win championships)....and yes, I know football is a more offensive game than it was prior to this century, but OU in recent years was not able to make one critical stop to avoid defeat in too many games.

Georgia played defense with one bad game that year, a 40-17 loss to a good Auburn team. Bulldogs were a better balanced team and somehow held OU to 17 points in the 4th and overtime periods.
OU has had numerous games in recent years where 40, 50 and even 60 points had to be scored to win (that kind of football doesn't win championships)....and yes, I know football is a more offensive game than it was prior to this century, but OU in recent years was not able to make one critical stop to avoid defeat in too many games.
They were that game. They were up 17 pts. At half and had a fumble returned for a td. LR's play calling in the 2nd half and game management failed OU. Five of the last six champions scored 35 points or more . In many of those games more points would have beens scored by the winner if necessary. I ain't changing your opinion, which is fine, but that OU team was better than Georgia and their coaching staff failed them.

OU was right there with Georgia and probably would have won if not for that dumb onside kick call before the half. We lost to Bama and LSU which is nothing to be ashamed of. They destroyed pretty much everyone they played.

Reactions: coeSooner81

Yea, I tried to block that LSU game out of my mind, too.

The SEC has produced 10 of the last 14 national champions (since 2006), so the fact remains that almost all national championships have to go through an SEC team. There have also been 5 SEC teams that were runners-up.
The conference may be top-heavy with a few so-called bottom feeders, but it generally places 3-4 teams in elite rankings.
As for Saban and his Alabama team, it's my hope that Ohio State wins because I'm Alabama-weary and I want Saban's recruitment of Jace McClellan and Camar Wheaton away from OU to be avenged.
As for the 2019 season, I believe OU played an LSU team that was unbeatable and one of the top 5 college teams I ever saw. The Tigers average 48 points per game....726 points in 15 games...and yield an average of 22 points per game, with two close wins over Texas on the road early in the season and Alabama on the road. OU would not have won even with Perkins and Stevenson.

As much as I hated to like that I agree with the assessment. I will be pulling against the little b1g’s only candidate of course as I tire of their “academic excellence and endowment claims”

The SEC has produced 10 of the last 14 national champions (since 2006), so the fact remains that almost all national championships have to go through an SEC team. There have also been 5 SEC teams that were runners-up.
The conference may be top-heavy with a few so-called bottom feeders, but it generally places 3-4 teams in elite rankings.
As for Saban and his Alabama team, it's my hope that Ohio State wins because I'm Alabama-weary and I want Saban's recruitment of Jace McClellan and Camar Wheaton away from OU to be avenged.
As for the 2019 season, I believe OU played an LSU team that was unbeatable and one of the top 5 college teams I ever saw. The Tigers average 48 points per game....726 points in 15 games...and yield an average of 22 points per game, with two close wins over Texas on the road early in the season and Alabama on the road. OU would not have won even with Perkins and Stevenson.

I agree w/ the assessment of the LSU game even w/ Stevenson & Perkins. My comments regarding these two was in reference to this year. I think OU would have been undefeated going into the playoffs this season if they both played a full season. Matching up against tOSU would have been fun. Sermon vs Stevenson.

We’ll all miss Perkins he was a dandy.
Someone said he got a 3rd/4th round grade.
Gotta feel one more year at OU and he’s a late 1st early 2nd round guy.
One thing is sure we have a lot of depth at DE

We’ll all miss Perkins he was a dandy.
Someone said he got a 3rd/4th round grade.
Gotta feel one more year at OU and he’s a late 1st early 2nd round guy.
One thing is sure we have a lot of depth at DE

Yep, he probably left some money on the table. But I have no idea what his family situation is. He may need to go now for his own personal reasons. Best of luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT