ADVERTISEMENT

OU's next national title in any sport?

The softball team is as close to a sure fire bet that I know of.

As for the football team, I think we're going to surprise. We are not devoid of talent and I think this team is going to have a chip on their shoulder. I don't think all the pieces are there to win it but I think we make the playoffs and hold our own. Maybe win the semi and fight like hell for it all.

I'm with Plano, I think the women's gymnastics is the next, followed by softball, then men's gymnastics.

Reactions: Oklabama
women's Gymnastics followed by Women's Tennis then softball. Men's gymnastics and men's golf have a great shot as well.

Reactions: 8085sooner
Sure it is!!! It has a much different competitive flavor when you play a round with me. It is about finding that very fine line between "not enough". and "too much" beer to keep the fun. What other "sport" or activity can you drink beer and participate simultaneously?
Bowling? Fishing? Softball? 😁

I've always considered golf to be a game and not a sport.
OK, I understand to some extent. Is baseball not a game and a sport? Can chess be considered a sport? It is certainly a game. Hunting is considered a sport but I would not think of it as a game. I can see how gymnastics would be considered a sport but not a game. My point is that golf is both a game and a sport, like baseball.

Reactions: iasooner2000
OK, I understand to some extent. Is baseball not a game and a sport? Can chess be considered a sport? It is certainly a game. Hunting is considered a sport but I would not think of it as a game. I can see how gymnastics would be considered a sport but not a game. My point is that golf is both a game and a sport, like baseball.
In my opinion a sport should be something that does require athletic ability. Car racing, golf, and chess do not really require it. Thus, they are games.

In my opinion a sport should be something that does require athletic ability. Car racing, golf, and chess do not really require it. Thus, they are games.
What? Car racing? Formula One doesn't require athletic ability? You ever see a fat F-1 driver? So you think Moto Cross is not a sport? I believe studies show it is the hard sport on the human body just by trying to stay on the bike. Chess is recognized by the International Olympic Committee as a sport although it is not an Olympic event.

This is a needless debate as anything the human body has to do, from golf to auto racing to motor cross to baseball, basketball and football is a sport. And how did chess enter the discussion?

This is a needless debate as anything the human body has to do, from golf to auto racing to motor cross to baseball, basketball and football is a sport. And how did chess enter the discussion?
How did curling become a winter olympic "sport?" 😁

Sure it is!!! It has a much different competitive flavor when you play a round with me. It is about finding that very fine line between "not enough". and "too much" beer to keep the fun. What other "sport" or activity can you drink beer and participate simultaneously

I'm worn out after 9 holes of golf. I'm exhausted after 18 holes and I use a golf cart.. I need to get more exercise! 😄

Reactions: calokie104
I wouldn't argue that the PBA guys are athletes, though what they do is remarkable. But if you've been to any PGA event, and watched what those guys do, and call them something other than an athlete, is ludicrous. And unlike the men in the NFL, who often can run as fast as anybody ever to wear a team uniform, they only are paid for what they earn. Not many guaranteed contracts.

The golfers don't get paid if they don't play well, and they pay their own travel expenses. That's pressure. The best of them perform brilliantly. They may not run 4.5's, but neither did Tom Brady, and he's considered the GOAT in football. His 40 didn't look a whole lot better than Landry Jones' which has been ridiculed widely here. Great golfers are great athletes.

Reactions: loopafied68
I wouldn't argue that the PBA guys are athletes, though what they do is remarkable. But if you've been to any PGA event, and watched what those guys do, and call them something other than an athlete, is ludicrous. And unlike the men in the NFL, who often can run as fast as anybody ever to wear a team uniform, they only are paid for what they earn. Not many guaranteed contracts.

The golfers don't get paid if they don't play well, and they pay their own travel expenses. That's pressure. The best of them perform brilliantly. They may not run 4.5's, but neither did Tom Brady, and he's considered the GOAT in football. His 40 didn't look a whole lot better than Landry Jones' which has been ridiculed widely here. Great golfers are great athletes.
During my time in Dubai I hosted young Americans playing in the Dubai Desert Classic Golf Tourney. The names have come and gone because most of them never made it. I never doubted their physicality and their conditioning regime. My hosting was not limited to room and board. I carted them to the golf course for practice rounds and use of the members only gym and fitness facilities. 18 holes of golf is one of the least strenuous parts of their day. It was not uncommon for the collection hat to be passed amongst the American community for the guys that did not make the cut or finished out of the money. BTW: Mark O'Meara has a place in heaven awaiting him. He was a savior saint for many of these starving golfers. He provided many of them with air transportation to/from Dubai.

Really? So John Daly was a great athlete? Give me a break. They may have mental toughness and all that, but you do not have to be a great athlete to be a great golfer. A 55 year old man can still win championships. That doesn't happen in a sport that requires athleticism. There are no 55 yr old basketball or football players.

Really? So John Daly was a great athlete? Give me a break. They may have mental toughness and all that, but you do not have to be a great athlete to be a great golfer. A 55 year old man can still win championships. That doesn't happen in a sport that requires athleticism. There are no 55 yr old basketball or football players.
But then again, there's the senior tour. It's all good my man.

Reactions: OUnabomber
Well……if you put it that way, I gotta say that you may have something. By definition, a sport is an activity that involves physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes for entertainment. So I guess anything that has a fan following could argue is a sport as long as sweat and skill is a byproduct. 😂

There is a seniors tour where players 55 compete. John Daly did not last for many reasons. I'm sure poor fitness played a part somewhere. Now have a look at Dustin Johnson' fitness routine. And Dustin has staying power on the PGA tour.

There's an early 40's guy who is still considered the GOAT. George Blanda was an NFL MVP after 45. MVP, not just a player. John Daly was no less athlete than some OL's who have carried over 350 pounds, or a few Nose Tackles who can't run a lick, but can stop up the middle. Hoyt Wilhelm was still getting hitters out in his late 40, and could have continued had he not been afraid of guys ripping the ball back at him. Not every athlete is about jumping higher and running faster. In my 20's some Russian guy set new records about twice a year, for lifting weights over his head. He was the best in the world for dang close to a decade. Was he not an athlete. Multi gold medalist in the Olympics.

Some centers in basketball, historically, were not great athletes; they were just extremely tall. The skills of a great golfer were every bit equal to those guys. John Daly was just a great athlete who drank too much. He smoked too. But then Len Dawson smoked at halftime of Super Bowl I.

There is a seniors tour where players 55 compete. John Daly did not last for many reasons. I'm sure poor fitness played a part somewhere. Now have a look at Dustin Johnson' fitness routine. And Dustin has staying power on the PGA tour.
Well I'm not saying that some golfers aren't indeed good athletes and that it probably helps you to be a good golfer. I just don't think its a requirement. A good example is Plaino. We all know he isn't athletic and I bet he is a decent golfer.

Reactions: 8085sooner
That would be a bet you'd lose.
Just wanted to say I really enjoy listening to Tony Evans (pastor from your sig). Love his no-nonsense approach to the Gospel and the way he communicates his messages. He is exactly the type of leader the Church & our world needs in our current "whatever we feel is okay" society.

Just wanted to say I really enjoy listening to Tony Evans (pastor from your sig). Love his no-nonsense approach to the Gospel and the way he communicates his messages. He is exactly the type of leader the Church & our world needs in our current "whatever we feel is okay" society.
We need an AMEN! icon. When Tony was a graduating seminary student, my church knew his vision for OCBF and paid his salary for a couple of years until that church got on ground solid enough to be self sustaining. I love his teaching. Spent a year going down there on Wednesday nights to get involved in their ministry. But my ex wasn't up for the idea, and it was almost a 40 mile drive, so I backed away. But I still listen to Tony's radio show on KCBI when I can. It's a good place, and it was good for me to be in a place where I was the minority. You learn stuff. When David Lawson was on Tony's staff, we tried to build a relationship with the goal of creating some kind of ministry for white folk and black folk to be able to have genuine, valuable communication with each other. But David took a job with Chuck Colson's prison ministry in D.C. This was in the days before most people had the internet, and we lost touch. I've tried to find him a couple of times, but unsuccessfully.

Tony's metaphors are so Christlike in their presentation, that I love hearing his teaching. It's hard for me to believe he's in his 70's now. WOW! He's accomplished a lot, but there is much more to be done.

Reactions: tansoonerfan
We need an AMEN! icon. When Tony was a graduating seminary student, my church knew his vision for OCBF and paid his salary for a couple of years until that church got on ground solid enough to be self sustaining. I love his teaching. Spent a year going down there on Wednesday nights to get involved in their ministry. But my ex wasn't up for the idea, and it was almost a 40 mile drive, so I backed away. But I still listen to Tony's radio show on KCBI when I can. It's a good place, and it was good for me to be in a place where I was the minority. You learn stuff. When David Lawson was on Tony's staff, we tried to build a relationship with the goal of creating some kind of ministry for white folk and black folk to be able to have genuine, valuable communication with each other. But David took a job with Chuck Colson's prison ministry in D.C. This was in the days before most people had the internet, and we lost touch. I've tried to find him a couple of times, but unsuccessfully.

Tony's metaphors are so Christlike in their presentation, that I love hearing his teaching. It's hard for me to believe he's in his 70's now. WOW! He's accomplished a lot, but there is much more to be done.
I listen to his talks about family & parenting. I want to emulate his parenting style and be able to communicate with my kids like he did & does now that his kids are grown. You can tell a lot about a man by watching his kids talk about him. Their eyes light up and glow when they talk about their dad.

That is very cool that you got an opportunity to help him get that church going. Nothing better than to be used by the Lord to accomplish His work. Dr. Evans is very witty as well, but it is his testimony that moves me the most. We need more Tony Evan's in this world, and I am thankful for his ministry and teaching.

Hope your heart issues have improved Plaino. I remember hearing about that on the Corner. Glad you seem to be doing better.

I listen to his talks about family & parenting. I want to emulate his parenting style and be able to communicate with my kids like he did & does now that his kids are grown. You can tell a lot about a man by watching his kids talk about him. Their eyes light up and glow when they talk about their dad.

That is very cool that you got an opportunity to help him get that church going. Nothing better than to be used by the Lord to accomplish His work. Dr. Evans is very witty as well, but it is his testimony that moves me the most. We need more Tony Evan's in this world, and I am thankful for his ministry and teaching.

Hope your heart issues have improved Plaino. I remember hearing about that on the Corner. Glad you seem to be doing better.
I agree about Tony Evans. I mow a lot of grass during the summer and have listened to him, as well as others, many times on my headphones while sweating it out.

Reactions: tansoonerfan

Frankly, I'm a mess. I've had two strokes in the last 12 and a half months and I just don't feel good. I still do a couple of appointments most days, because it's good for me, and the extra income helps. But I'm 70, and just resigned to the fact that the best is behind me. If God takes me home tomorrow, I'm very okay with that. But I don't want to not be able to take decent care of myself. But I trust God's sovereignty. His will be done.

It's a little weird. My memory has taken a hit, but the old memories are still pretty reliable. I just can't remember last month's important stuff. I am blessed. But I'd really love it, if He would put one more good woman in my life for the long term. who is His follower, and would at least put up with my Sooner passion. Thought I'd found one, but she cut me loose last week. She was an OSU sorority gal, who liked OU too.

ADVERTISEMENT