ADVERTISEMENT

OU / WVU Canceled

CRAP!

We were going to get pretty decent weather this weekend. Now, it looks like we'll get mid December weather in Morgantown. I really hope we play middle of the day. Just wondering with all the contract tracing, how much of a team we'll be able to field against Baylor. And we're really really lucky that WVU was available on the 12th.

Reactions: iasooner1
There is a hidden silver lining here. WVU was open last Sat. so 2 weeks to prepare for us. They travel to Ames on 12/5 which means no extra prep week and they play arguably the 2 best teams in the conference back to back. We get an extra week to get healthy and prep for the final push.

How will things improve by 12/12 when the surge is still rising ?
That's the problem not just for OU but all college games being postponed. If you listen to people in the know, Covid is going to blow up bigtime after all of the travelling and family get togethers after Thanksgiving. Look for several more games to get cancelled in the next week or two,

Vaccines are rolling out around Dec. 12th so if nothing else, at least the basketball season will be saved this time. As for football, I think it can be saved as well, but there might be some pushing back of the postseason due to postponements of games.

We may be in this pandemic longer than we have believed or have been led to believe. There's too much political spin on this pandemic and I don't believe too many straight forward facts are being fed to us by both media and our "esteemed leaders". We seem content giving these two elements so much credibility.
This season for me was going to be special as I was planning to see OU play at West Point....my favorite team playing in my favorite football environment.
But if there's no more football, I can watch past OU teams play on YouTube and take advantage in seeing the great Oklahoma teams of the past, as far back as the Wilkinson years. Found a color video today of OU's 7-0 upset win over Maryland in the 1955 Orange Bowl. The picture quality was very good although by today's standards it was not too exciting with its "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offenses and slow white guys.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Vaccines are rolling out around Dec. 12th so if nothing else, at least the basketball season will be saved this time. As for football, I think it can be saved as well, but there might be some pushing back of the postseason due to postponements of games.
While the vaccines should be out in your time frame, they will not have much to do with saving the basketball season. The initial report is 50 million doses would be available now. Half of those will be for the U.S. The vaccine requires 2 injections. So 12.5 million people will get the first ones. Medical, first-responders, nursing homes, elderly will all be way ahead of 18-22 year old athletes.
It could be summer before vaccines are available for student athletes.

While the vaccines should be out in your time frame, they will not have much to do with saving the basketball season. The initial report is 50 million doses would be available now. Half of those will be for the U.S. The vaccine requires 2 injections. So 12.5 million people will get the first ones. Medical, first-responders, nursing homes, elderly will all be way ahead of 18-22 year old athletes.
It could be summer before vaccines are available for student athletes.
Good points. What is needed more is patience, that is, MORE patience.

ADVERTISEMENT