ADVERTISEMENT

OU Wrestling just became big time!

MiccoMacey

Sooner starter
Sep 21, 2002
OU's Head Wrestling Coach Lou Rosselli announced today that OU is the site of a new Olympic Regional Training Center (RTC). And the new head coach for the RTC is OSU's second in command and 3x NCAA National Champion and former Olympian Eric Guerrero!

I talked to my Dad about Eric and he said he's their best technician in the room. Said the knock on him is he's not a good recruiter, but this is a position where he won't need to recruit so it fits him better. We also agreed that a lot of kids today weren't even born when he won his three National Championships (1997-1999). So the high school kids wouldn't really know anything about him, but the former NCAA champs who are trying for the Olympics do.

I talked to Eric a couple of weeks ago, and my Dad used to call Eric once a week or so. And vice versa. Hoping to keep that pipeline open. :)

Either or, this is huge for OU. This will bring the best post-college wrestlers who are training for the Olympics to Norman. And our kids who are good enough can practice with them. That'll bring some higher, more elite recruits to OU, the type of kids who are looking to wrestle past their college career (International and Olympic style wrestling).

It's not that impressive; sadly the 'city leaders' built the thing in downtown waterloo, next to a strip club in a "100 year" flood plain and it took water a few years back. I'm not sure how much damage and loss they had. They could & should have done much more for a favorite son...

Sorry man; me commenting on it in the first place wasn't some kind of 'setup'.

A former Pastor friend of mine that is the UNI (who have a strong tradition of their own) chaplain. One of his son's used to (and may still) be the director of the museum. I'll let you know what I can find out about the collection.

ADVERTISEMENT