ADVERTISEMENT

OU/UT not the same this year

hOUston...

OU scholarship offer
Sep 4, 2003
The State Fair of Texas announced on Tuesday that its board of directors has voted to cancel the 2020 event due to concerns about COVID-19.

Gina Norris, board chair of the State Fair of Texas, said the health and safety of all involved was the top priority in the decision-making process.

Marks the first time since World War II that the State Fair of Texas has not opened.

Regarding the 2020 college football season, the National Collegiate Athletic Association has yet to determine if games at the onsite Cotton Bowl Stadium will be played. Although University of Texas athletic director he expects the Longhorns' football game with Oklahoma to still be played at the Cotton Bowl.

Reactions: iasooner1
We as fans may not even be able to attend. There is so much unknown these days.

Novavax granted $1.6B by the US Federal government to fast track vaccine.

This vaccine most likely will work well and will begin rolling out late this year with 100 million (all owned by the federal government based on the $1.6B grant - or $16/dose) doses committed by January or February 2021. It's based on decade long research and testing, so safety has already been proven out.

Novavax believes they can make 1B doses per year.

We're going to be cramped by this thing until about February of 2021, but we'll be back to packing stadiums after that.
100 million doses is probably enough to account for most Americans that would even bother getting any vaccine, but I'm sure they'll prioritize them to the people most endangered by the disease.

Novavax granted $1.6B by the US Federal government to fast track vaccine.

This vaccine most likely will work well and will begin rolling out late this year with 100 million (all owned by the federal government based on the $1.6B grant - or $16/dose) doses committed by January or February 2021. It's based on decade long research and testing, so safety has already been proven out.

Novavax believes they can make 1B doses per year.

We're going to be cramped by this thing until about February of 2021, but we'll be back to packing stadiums after that.
100 million doses is probably enough to account for most Americans that would even bother getting any vaccine, but I'm sure they'll prioritize them to the people most endangered by the disease.
Wake me up when this becomes a reality.

Wake me up when this becomes a reality.

Expectations don't always become reality, but in this case, I believe it will be.

That's a big grant. Again, this is a vaccine that's been in development for more than 10 years and has already gone through extensive testing. It merely needed a minor adaptation to account specifically for COVID-19. This is a perfect example of why we research things we don't necessarily need right now.

The only doubts I can find about it is whether it will require humans to take 2 doses or 1 dose. 1 dose has been 100% effective in mice and primates to block COVID-19.

The newest History Sunday night mini series reminded me that the Revolutionary War was fought in the midst of Smallpox. We played football through the 57 & 58 ‘Asian flu’ that killed 1-2 million worldwide and the far worse ‘Spanish flu’. Time to put on big boy pants !

ACC announces no sports before 9/1. This means normal fall sports other than football will not start as usual. Not a significant ruling but a harbinger none the less.

CBS Sports says the OU-Texas game is still on.
I was talking to the son of a friend this week. The son is selling a bunch of softwar e to the NFL and multiple NCAA colleges, including OU. He surprised me, assuring me that there will be college and pro football this season. He said he knew for sure, and that the plans are underway. He didn't think there would be many, if any people in the stands, but that there will be football.

One part of the equation is that college teams are likely to be better compensated for TV than had been anticipated, because it's in the best interests of both the networks and the schools for football to happen for tv. And since fewer if any people will be in the stands, the tv audience would be expected to be higher. Apparently, plans are in place, to somehow simulate fans in place for tv.

Not giving credence to this. But the guy might have a lot of credibility. I guess we'll see. I still think that the political stuff that's going on by BLM is going to hurt tv interest, but I guess college sports are a lot like hockey and other tv sports, where teams may not have national appeal, but just about everybody has regional appeal, at least for their alums. And we're all looking forward to watching sports that is going on now.

Call me skeptical, but more than curious.

All that said, we will know before August what the fate of the 2021 season will be and right now, the logic of having college or pro football and baseball this year elude me.
Everyday seems to bring more hurdles for this to happen and a reckless, divided strategy (which seemingly has taken over) is not going to resolve this pandemic.

Reactions: Oklabama
I never thought I'd say this, but at this point I wish they would just forget about football this year and wait til next season. Its going to be so watered down that I can't see it having much meaning
Ditto.
I just want this damn virus to be a memory....or very treatable....by this time next year.

The virus isn't going away. We will always have the flu. And we will always have this. We're going to have to learn to live with it. They'll have a vaccine, but like the flu, they'll need a new one every year as it mutates.

This isn't going away.

I don't care if I go to any of the games as I'm pretty much an arm chair QB sports watching kind of fan. So I'm really interested in seeing Rattler do his thing. It's such a cool name for an OU QB and to see it go to waste is a shame. The snake killing the cow would be a good thing to watch.

The virus isn't going away. We will always have the flu. And we will always have this. We're going to have to learn to live with it. They'll have a vaccine, but like the flu, they'll need a new one every year as it mutates.

This isn't going away.
We know that, Plaino.
But a vaccine (or vaccines) to control it and save lives is making it treatable and its severity a memory.

We know that, Plaino.
But a vaccine (or vaccines) to control it and save lives is making it treatable and its severity a memory.

I think they are getting closer to a vaccine and to some pretty reliable treatments, but probably not in time for fall sports. Depressing

Texas renamed field to Ricky/Earl

Players don’t have to sing Eyes of Texas anymore (uncomfortable tradition anyway)

At least they said no to donating to terrorist group Black Live Matter

I like the song and wish I was physically able to do an 8 hour or more shift or play tennis with Schoonerman again but probably cannot so I’m oppressed too by my body and the Medical Sciences. I demand reparations !

ADVERTISEMENT