ADVERTISEMENT

OU Stadium Remodel Project Question

DallasSooner

Sooner commitment
Jun 24, 2001
Okay, I attend most OU home games and when I first saw the video advertising the remodel I was under the impression that this was a done deal and they were showing us what was about to happen. Not that they were advertising what they wanted to happen.

So I'm guessing that after the remodel of the East stands including adding the upper deck that the west side and press box had to be in their plans as well as expanding the Switzer Center and weight room.

So since the East side was finished have we just been paying that off or have we been saving money to do the West stands?

I just don't undertand the order in which we are either rasing money and then building or this seems like they showed what they wanted and now need to raise all the funds.

The oil market tanked in the last 30 days not in the last 3 years. It's not like we have LOST money that I would assume was raised.

Sorry if this is rambling.

Valid question that would have been nice to read in Carey Murdock's article instead of what was actually read.

I hope someone can shed some light on this as well.

The east side expansion was part of a stadium wide four phase upgrade plan that was released in 2002. Talk of the possible upgrade started a few years earlier. The fourth phase, which was the upgrade to student athlete areas such as the training room, locker room, etc, was completed in 2009. Talk of the west side and south end zone upgrades started in 2007 with the master plan recently released. They weren't planned at the same time.

Don't forget about Headington Hall's recent construction. That cost $75 million.

The big ol' checkbook isn't sitting with zero dollars in it. The biggest push for fundraising usually happens after the plans are released. They have raised money and are continuing to raise money. The project has to be timed to not disrupt normal daily activities or any stadium events. All of that timing is still being tweaked.

As a guy who sits on the West side I can assure you that when the East side upgrades were completed (bathrooms, concessions, etc.) we were told that they West side improvements were on their way. Here we sit many years later without any of those amenities.

I remember just because I was one of the guys on the West side wondering when in the world is our side going to be improved? Crazy

There were improvements made to the west side during the second and third phases of the 2002 plan. However, the 2002 plans did not include anything about the latest upgrade plan.

Best part of sitting on the west side? Not suffering heat stroke! They can have purple miniature elephants crapping rivers of Godiva chocolate on the east side for all I care. They will never have the one premium thing that those on the west side enjoy. Shade.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You got that right Medic, I sat on the east side for many years and roasted for the first five home games. I could not believe the difference once I moved to the west side, especially for the 2pm games.

Originally posted by rhSooner:
You got that right Medic, I sat on the east side for many years and roasted for the first five home games. I could not believe the difference once I moved to the west side, especially for the 2pm games.
As a west-sider for more than 30 years, I agree; EXCEPT that it's no longer that significant of an issue now that games are pretty much at 11:00 or 6:00+

Originally posted by DallasSooner:

The oil market tanked in the last 30 days not in the last 3 years. It's not like we have LOST money that I would assume was raised.
The Oil markets hit recent highs this past summer and have
been trending down since….

But they will recover some in the next year or 2 but the
biggest OU question by far is.... will Boren be ready?

Boren has twice failed in recent years to be ready for
higher oil prices and how they can help OU!

Daphne Boren is a dichotomy of old-style Southern ie "Conservative" Democrats that once had some good ideas like tax cuts for the middle-class but has since glaumed into support of the current status quo. He's long in the tooth and needs to step aside and pass any influence to OU to his son or see if any of his chronies can pass public muster. He screwed the pooch re: PAC XII oportunity that I'll always regret... jmo

I've considered that SI and weighing the options we had
PAC or SEC, SEC or a watered-down Big XII the Pac wins by a mile
(personally I wanted a shot at the B1G, being the obvious midwestern choice but that boat was never floated)

I think OU fits about everywhere except PAC 12 and Ivy. The Big would be good. OU women basketball makes an appearance in Pullman where 13 heavily discounted tickets would be sold.

ADVERTISEMENT