ADVERTISEMENT

OU players that died to early......

Jack Mildren died younger than Steve Davis, and pancreatic cancer is a horrible way to go.

Larry Roach was a starting corner in the GOTC and a friend who was on my intramural basketball team. I don't think he made 40. Brain tumor.

Both Casteel's died young. Rick and Steve.

Just from the GOTC, nearly a third of our starters didn't make it to retirement age: Lionel Day, Steve Aycock, Roach, Bruce Deloney, Albert Qualls, Daryl Emmert, Mildren, Eddie Foster played a little that year.

And the greatest Sooner of them all, Lee Roy Selmon, was a high school senior that year.

Jack Mildren died younger than Steve Davis, and pancreatic cancer is a horrible way to go.

Larry Roach was a starting corner in the GOTC and a friend who was on my intramural basketball team. I don't think he made 40. Brain tumor.

Both Casteel's died young. Rick and Steve.

Just from the GOTC, nearly a third of our starters didn't make it to retirement age: Lionel Day, Steve Aycock, Roach, Bruce Deloney, Albert Qualls, Daryl Emmert, Mildren, Eddie Foster played a little that year.

And the greatest Sooner of them all, Lee Roy Selmon, was a high school senior that year.

Thank you plaino, that's why your the best poster on this site.............

Reactions: Section22Sooner
BTW, your OP, featuring Ricky Bryan, was from my current stomping grounds...the beautiful, vibrant and intoxicating metropolis of Coweta!

Yeah, I knew a lot of the Bryan family tree. Replogle road between Catoosa and Coweta. They were all kin.

One of Rick's great uncles was my little league baseball coaches. A great guy.

One of Ricks cousins plays for the women's football league.

And I'll never forget a blonde named Anita Bryan that was one of the hottest blonde ever from Coweta.

What?
Anita Bryant, with the T on the end of her last name? The orange juice woman that lived in South Florida?

Well, that's significant, and uh, I can't elaborate on her trials and tribulations...I'd get perma banned.

No "T" on the end fitty. How long have you lived in Coweta? Do you know are heard of the Messick Boot Shop?

How about Harlan Wheeler?

Mike Babb died at the age of 23 of a cardiac arrest during surgery resulting from a knee injury he got playing in the 1982 Varsity-Alumni game. When you think back of all the different causes of death to these great Sooners, you have to wonder. Shocking sometimes.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Mike Babb died at the age of 23 of a cardiac arrest during surgery resulting from a knee injury he got playing in the 1982 Varsity-Alumni game. When you think back of all the different causes of death to these great Sooners, you have to wonder. Shocking sometimes.
Oddly I have run into his brother a couple of times at a local office supply store here. You can tell that it still haunts the family.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
My friend and classmate from H.S., Jon Benien, was killed in Vietnam. My Godfather, Roland "Waddie"Young, disappeared over the Pacific piloting his B-29, "Waddie's Wagon", during WWII.

I'm not sure who Anita Bryan was. But Anita Bryant, though born in Barnsdall, grew up with her mother in Tulsa and graduated from Will Rogers High School. She was Miss Oklahoma and second runner up in the Miss America Pageant in 1959.

And she was a brunette.

According to Wiki, she now lives in Edmond.

The Box family has a foundation set up in his name to raise awareness of prescription drug abuse. And yes, that's a shameless plug!

I always wanted to be Ricky Bryan when I was a kid. I wore #80 through HS because of him. Always heard those Bryan's were super nice! I had Boz sign a pic of him and Steven and told him I'd like to get Steven's auto some day on it. He told me to go by his farm and tell him Boz sent me. haha!

I'll add Wayman Tisdale to the list, even though he wasn't a footballer. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT