ADVERTISEMENT

OU MBB

tansoonerfan

Sooner signee
Oct 29, 2002
Every time I think they might have a chance or aren’t as bad as their record indicates, I get reminded why I don’t watch the sport anymore except for the NCAA tourney. I know my limits and they’re about as frustrating to watch as the football team this past fall.

We desperately need shooting so where in the heck is Bamisile? The motion O sucks, no players taking the ball to the basket, the Grove boys suck, they should put Jacob as 6th or 7th man, let Godwin start in his spot, Owega play more, and 1 more body to have a 9 man rotation. This team is headed back to the NIT so start getting some fresh faces in the game, continue taking your lumps, and make the most🤏🏼out of what's left of your 10 game regular season schedule.

Reactions: Patriotgame
I haven’t watched a full OU Basketball game since the days of Blake Griffin. In basketball you’re either a small team , or a big team.
Small teams don’t win Titles.
The End

I pledged to stop watching OU BB when they were up by 10 over Kansas in Lawrence with about 4 minutes to play and lost. OU poor passing and bad shots and stupid grade school turnovers have ended it for me. Losing is one thing. Giving it away if another.
This sums up college basketball in my opinion. I'd rather watch a housewife reality show than college basketball of any type. It's horrendous, and I'm a guy that can watch every NBA game, regardless of team and matchup, so basketball isn't my issue.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Reactions: tansoonerfan
I hear that the XII are doing us & the steers no favors for our football schedule next season

Our MBB is very difficult to watch most of the time. They have difficulty creating or sustaining any offensive flow. I know, based on his resume at other schools, that Porter Moser knows how to coach but it's a slog for him right now.

Our MBB is very difficult to watch most of the time. They have difficulty creating or sustaining any offensive flow. I know, based on his resume at other schools, that Porter Moser knows how to coach but it's a slog for him right now.
I stopped watching them for the rest of the year. Let me guess, they led for most of the game then committed a dozen turnovers and missed countless shots in the last five minutes of the game?

This team has issues for sure. Its like they dont know how to win close games. However they arent exactly getting many calls go there way either. Here is some FT data from games just in conference play

Vs Texas lost by 1
Tx 15-16 at the line
OU 8-11 at the line
15-8 difference in game points.

Vs ISU lost by 3
ISU 12-16 FT
OU 9-9 FT
3 pt difference same as game difference

Vs TT won by 5 in OT
TT 19-25 FT
OU 5-6 FT
14 pt difference but the 19 line trip difference OU was fortunate to win.

KU lost by 4
KY 31-39 FT
OU 19-23 FT
How one team makes 39 trips to the line vs 23 should be questioned. It was @KU so maybe some home cooking. Either way this game was lost due to a total collasp as KU outscored OU 18-4 over final 5 minutes.

West Va won by 1
WV 8-16 FT
OU 18-25 FT
Clear advantage by OU in this one and without it OU loses to WV also. OU had chances to put them away but its like they have no clue how to put anyone away. Freaking Billy Tubbs and Sampson were great at this with the talent they had.

OSU lost by 16
OSU 11-17 FT
OU 6-8 FT
OU just stunk it up so it didnt matter anyway

BU lost by 2
BU 13-17 FT
OU 3-4 FT
Another head scratcher with +13 foul difference. OU only making 4 trips to the line is just questionable.

Overall this conf season OU has seen opponents in the conf go to the line 146 times to OU 84 times. I can see why Porter is upset with this officiating. In the end though I think he is having issues finding the right combination of players on the floor late in the game. Watching them just self destruct is what makes watching them so hard to do. It would be nice if PM had a go to player in the the clutch he could count on. I dont think OU has such a player.

If they get to 4 conf wins I would be shocked.

OUr team is a hard working, well coached team. But we are just short of athleticism and is most shows up in the way we consistently give up offensive rebounds that get us beat. We play quality defense, except a good defensive possession isn't over UNTIL YOU GET THE REBOUND..Yesterday, the lack of athleticism showed up when Baylor picked us up full court, and we not only couldn't make them pay for it, but we struggled to get the ball inbounds.

It amazing to me that Baylor can press us, yet never get called for a foul. This is all part of the conspiracy theory, that the officials in the conference are screwing us in basketball and football. No details, but I believe it's a fact. And there isn't much we can do about it. OSU beat us up in the second half in Stillwater, and they were allowed to make our best offensive threat useless.

We are just going to have to live with it. It sucks. But it is more about politics than anything. And Baylor flops yesterday were consistently called fouls on Sooner players. It's just the way it is. It's not going to get better until we get outta here. I hate it. I wish we weren't leaving, but it is mostly about the politics of the matter.

Grin and bear it.

This team is very close. It is certainly frustrating to see them play so well, then have a lapse that truly costs them a chance to win (the loss at Gallagher not withstanding).
I think Joe C has hit a 2 run homer with his most recent BB coaching hires.
I think both teams are going to be nationally relevant again within 2 years.
The ladies are already making waves nationally.

This team is very close. It is certainly frustrating to see them play so well, then have a lapse that truly costs them a chance to win (the loss at Gallagher not withstanding).
I think Joe C has hit a 2 run homer with his most recent BB coaching hires.
I think both teams are going to be nationally relevant again within 2 years.
The ladies are already making waves nationally.
Tonight TCU game is a total shitstorm by OU. They have a long ways to go in my opinion to be nationally relevent within 2 years. I hope your right but I just cant see it.

BB just isn't fun to watch anymore. So many games, 1 and done, OU probably never being in the mix again, etc. The days of Kelvin and Billy Ball seem to be gone forever.

Did you see what TCU did in Lawrence over the weekend? They won by 24. In Fort Worth, I didn't expect us to better that.
I expected a better showing from our players. KU is starting to show cracks so I would not exactly over estimate that win by TCU.

Did I expect OU to win? No, not at all but you have to admit the product on the floor was not good for OU. This OU team doesnt shoot well nor rebound well. They are also obviously a fouling machine. I believe those fouls led to TCU going to the line 29 times while converting 21. OU went to the line 10 times. OU lost though because TCU plays with discipline and that is something this OU team lacks.

Plano can you name one OU starters who you would think would start on any current Top 25 team in the country?

I expected a better showing from our players. KU is starting to show cracks so I would not exactly over estimate that win by TCU.

Did I expect OU to win? No, not at all but you have to admit the product on the floor was not good for OU. This OU team doesnt shoot well nor rebound well. They are also obviously a fouling machine. I believe those fouls led to TCU going to the line 29 times while converting 21. OU went to the line 10 times. OU lost though because TCU plays with discipline and that is something this OU team lacks.

Plano can you name one OU starters who you would think would start on any current Top 25 team in the country?
Not really. Here's my fear. I think we have a quality coach. But I've seen a lot of college coaches who get hired in places 1000 miles from where they excelled previously, who just don't have the recruiting connections in their new place. I also see us having too many unathletic white guys. I know you can win in basketball with guys who are big and strong, and a little short on athleticism, with good design and fundamentals.

But this group of players is too short, too unathletic, and too short of skills. Every team we play, is thicker at almost every position. A quick team who presses us, can keep us from competing. It is interesting that outside of the conference, we competed well against some pretty solid teams. But I still believe that we are getting screwed in the conference by officials on the little stuff. It's a horrible connection of factors. It sounds like whining, I know that. But there is too much there there. We're just going to have to live with getting screwed for at least a year or two

Not really. Here's my fear. I think we have a quality coach. But I've seen a lot of college coaches who get hired in places 1000 miles from where they excelled previously, who just don't have the recruiting connections in their new place. I also see us having too many unathletic white guys. I know you can win in basketball with guys who are big and strong, and a little short on athleticism, with good design and fundamentals.

But this group of players is too short, too unathletic, and too short of skills. Every team we play, is thicker at almost every position. A quick team who presses us, can keep us from competing. It is interesting that outside of the conference, we competed well against some pretty solid teams. But I still believe that we are getting screwed in the conference by officials on the little stuff. It's a horrible connection of factors. It sounds like whining, I know that. But there is too much there there. We're just going to have to live with getting screwed for at least a year or two
Unathletic white guys? I'm sorry but that is simply a dumb statement. Its basically a black mans sport because of that mentality.

Most of what you say I agree with except the part in bold above. I think the OU players are athletic but just not near as athletic in terms of basketball skills as many other teams across the country have. OU certainly lacks the overall talent compared to many other teams right now in basketball. The bottom line is that Porter is doing the best he can with this group but I doubt it has anything to do with the color of the players skin. Maybe I am wrong but to me an athlete is an athlete no matter his race.

Tonight TCU game is a total shitstorm by OU. They have a long ways to go in my opinion to be nationally relevent within 2 years. I hope your right but I just cant see it.
Yeah - I'm surprised I didn't get crucified over this post. Looks like the Gallagher debacle was just the beginning. A few good showings have been wiped out by the recent embarrassments.
I like PM and think he could be the right guy for us. Just hope another school doesn't see his worth and lure him away.

not that is would make much difference but I don't think he is starting the right players...many of the bench kids have better effort and results than many of the starters

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Yeah - I'm surprised I didn't get crucified over this post. Looks like the Gallagher debacle was just the beginning. A few good showings have been wiped out by the recent embarrassments.
I like PM and think he could be the right guy for us. Just hope another school doesn't see his worth and lure him away.
I thought I heard somewhere that the ND job was opening up and his name was being mentioned for that job

OSU is a bad match up for us. Last night, a team if lousy shooters, shot lights out. Part of that is lousy defense. But in Big XII games, OU isn't getting any breaks from officials.

OSU is a bad match up for us. Last night, a team if lousy shooters, shot lights out. Part of that is lousy defense. But in Big XII games, OU isn't getting any breaks from officials.
They got plenty of breaks last night as OSU went to the line only 12 times while OU went to line 33 times converting only 24. That is 9 free points left off the board. OU shot lousy from the field only hitting 35%. 5-22 from 3 pt range. No team is going to win shooting like that.

The Bama game was the shining moment for this team and I doubt they have another one this season.

They got plenty of breaks last night as OSU went to the line only 12 times while OU went to line 33 times converting only 24. That is 9 free points left off the board. OU shot lousy from the field only hitting 35%. 5-22 from 3 pt range. No team is going to win shooting like that.

The Bama game was the shining moment for this team and I doubt they have another one this season.
I saw the score. No more OU BB for me until next year. Too painful to watch. Question: Did OU suit up the same guys as they did against Bama? It does not appear so.

I saw the score. No more OU BB for me until next year. Too painful to watch. Question: Did OU suit up the same guys as they did against Bama? It does not appear so.
Same starting 5 and pretty much all the others. Like you I am not sure I can watch any more this year. It is pretty ugly basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT