ADVERTISEMENT

OU Golf Fans

Scottsdale.Sooner

Sooner starter
Jan 2, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona (most of the time)
Congrats to the baseball team. This team is peaking at a good time

OU is in first place and the only team under par after 54 holes of golf. We lead OSU by 4 and Vanderbilt by 6. The field of teams was cut from 30 to 15 for today's fourth round of stroke play. The field will be cut to 8 by the end of today for beginning Match Play tomorrow. The field drops off pretty quick after the top 5. Ariz State is #6 with 19 over par. Arkansas is 8th with 26 over. OU's Patrick Welsh was -7 yesterday with 7 birdies and no bogey's. The tournaments best single round. Chris Gotterup is OU's most consistent and best player. He is a Rutgers transfer and looks like he could play LB for Brent. Hits the ball a mile. OU has been well repped this weekend at Grayhawk Golf Club. Many fans in Crimson and Cream. Second only to ASU, of course. I will see them around the course again today starting at 1150 am local time. Good Luck Boomer Sooner.

Thanks for the update. I assume that if we finish first or second, we'll face 7 or 8 in the first round.
Correct. The bottom half of the current top 8 have big numbers. We cannot fall far enough to eliminate ourselves. Ryan Hybl has these boys focused. If OU plays to +2 or better today we are in good shape. Match play can be very tricky but our singles play is good. Two of the only four players under par are Sooners.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Our #1 player could not putt today. had a chance to win the individual championship on 17 and again on 18 but could not, 3 putted and took himself out of the playoff. OU #1 team but Arizona St is the home team, not sure who has advantage.

At present, going into Match Play, Texas is playing the best golf. They were the only team under par yesterday. They play OSU today. 4 of the 8 remaining teams are Big 12. Grayhawk is not ASU's home course but they are well supported by their fans. OU fans were an impressive #2 in fan participation.

Our #1 player could not putt today. had a chance to win the individual championship on 17 and again on 18 but could not, 3 putted and took himself out of the playoff. OU #1 team but Arizona St is the home team, not sure who has advantage.
Chris Gotterup was very uncharacteristically off on his putts all day. Pat Welsh was a liability. He was -7 on Sunday and +7 yesterday. Let's hope they settle down and hit their targets today. BTW the best player up and down on the course is Lopez-Charcarra from Oklahoma State. He didn't win the individual but was in the play off. This guy gets out of trouble better than many pros. He had a triple bogey and then birdied the next 3 holes.

Nate Hybl is another one of Joe C.'s excellent hires. A Tar Heel fan told me that Hybl is a superior recruiter and has very good connection with his team.

Last edited:
Nate was a gamer. I’ll never forget that BigXII crown or especially the Rose trophy that assured Bob being the only one to win all the four “Major” or bcs bowls.
Iowa would have sold their soul to have had the chance that year but had to settle for an Orange

Texas beats Arizona State 3 - 2 for the National Championship. ASU had many opportunities to win but never seemed to seize them. Texas had upper classmen and it was evident in their ability to get out of troubled shots. ASU not so much. I would have preferred anyone other than Texas to win but they were playing better golf than anyone this week.

• Sad
Texas beats Arizona State 3 - 2 for the National Championship. ASU had many opportunities to win but never seemed to seize them. Texas had upper classmen and it was evident in their ability to get out of troubled shots. ASU not so much. I would have preferred anyone other than Texas to win but they were playing better golf than anyone this week.
We'll get em next year! 😁

ADVERTISEMENT