ADVERTISEMENT

OU - Az

Terrible base running in Top 7 cost OU dearly. After tying the game up at 4 with runners at 1st and 3rd and no outs Alo bunts the ball straight up in the air and Snow at 1st evidently didn’t see it and was doubled up. In the end OU left Donihoo stranded at 3B as Hanson fouled out to C. The DP cost OU the big inning and possible lead.

Headed to 8th

Sooners escape the 8th after loading the bases with a force out at home then a line drive DP to 1B.

This years team is really struggling to do the routine things like bunting to advance runners, fielding as errors cost them 2 runs in this game and cost them in the LBS game earlier.

2 of the 3 runs Az scored in the 5th to give them a 4-2 lead were unearned.

With bases loaded and 1 out Grace Greens routine can of corn to LF is dropped by Az resulting in a 6-4 OU lead. We head into the bottom of 10th and hopefully OU hangs on.

Reactions: iasooner1
Better question, why has G only pitched 2 innings on the season. Co-worker told me that she is pitching for the Puerto Rico national team and they want her to save her arm, and not pitch as much this season.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Better question, why has G only pitched 2 innings on the season. Co-worker told me that she is pitching for the Puerto Rico national team and they want her to save her arm, and not pitch as much this season.

Good ?. Haven’t heard any news about her being hurt or anything.

Not sure maybe Plaino knows?
I'm not sure anybody knows for sure. I think she felt slighted a bit by always being the number two starter at OU. Of course she is likely to be number 2 at Arizona, also. She also saw that not only were two solid starters returning. But there was a redshirt freshman and three true freshmen to be added to the 2020 staff. I suspect she envisioned before last season that she'd be number one, when suddenly G Juarez joined the staff and she was not the expected top starter, once again.

I also suspect that when her pitching coach got the Oregon HC job, that it was a factor. Many thought she'd end up in Eugene.

SOONERBORN, I heard a bit of speculation that made a lot of sense about the catastrophe that occurred after OU tied the game in T7 and had quick runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs, and Alo and Kinzie Hansen scheduled to hit. For an unimaginable reason, Alo bunted on the first pitched, and with the runner going from 1st, popped up, into a double play. Hansen fouled out to quench a very promising threat.

The speculation was that either Alo missed a sign, or more likely, profoundly screwed up the execution. It was most likely a common 1st and 3rd play that Gasso frequently uses, sending the runner off first, and having the batter fake a bunt, or actually bunt through the ball, to screen the catcher, making a drawn in infield unlikely to be able to cover second, setting up 2nd and 3rd and eliminating the force play.

Alo, instead of missing the bunt, as she was supposed to do, bunted the bottom of the ball. A worst case scenario. Fortunately, Freshman pitcher Olivia Rains pitched five shutout innings against the nation's number 5 team, and allowed the Sooners to win 6-4 in 10.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Thanks to all for the Sooner Softballers updates. The play-by-play info is good for those who can't get the game, but the info on the players is interesting.

Reactions: iasooner1
I'm not sure anybody knows for sure. I think she felt slighted a bit by always being the number two starter at OU. Of course she is likely to be number 2 at Arizona, also. She also saw that not only were two solid starters returning. But there was a redshirt freshman and three true freshmen to be added to the 2020 staff. I suspect she envisioned before last season that she'd be number one, when suddenly G Juarez joined the staff and she was not the expected top starter, once again.

I also suspect that when her pitching coach got the Oregon HC job, that it was a factor. Many thought she'd end up in Eugene.

SOONERBORN, I heard a bit of speculation that made a lot of sense about the catastrophe that occurred after OU tied the game in T7 and had quick runners at 1st and 3rd with no outs, and Alo and Kinzie Hansen scheduled to hit. For an unimaginable reason, Alo bunted on the first pitched, and with the runner going from 1st, popped up, into a double play. Hansen fouled out to quench a very promising threat.

The speculation was that either Alo missed a sign, or more likely, profoundly screwed up the execution. It was most likely a common 1st and 3rd play that Gasso frequently uses, sending the runner off first, and having the batter fake a bunt, or actually bunt through the ball, to screen the catcher, making a drawn in infield unlikely to be able to cover second, setting up 2nd and 3rd and eliminating the force play.

Alo, instead of missing the bunt, as she was supposed to do, bunted the bottom of the ball. A worst case scenario. Fortunately, Freshman pitcher Olivia Rains pitched five shutout innings against the nation's number 5 team, and allowed the Sooners to win 6-4 in 10.

Thanks. When Alo bunted I was like WTH as I was watching it on the Arizona live feed. It was a good comeback after getting down 4-2 though by OU.

ADVERTISEMENT