ADVERTISEMENT

Other than Patterson being Patterson, heres explanation for going for two

I can respect that. I can't blame him for going for it instead of going to OT. But then, they were having success moving the ball, while shutting ours down, so even if they had gone to OT, their chances of winning were pretty good. But, I can see why he wanted to end it with the two-pointer since they have a game on Thursday. I like the guy and think he's an outstanding coach.

Every game has it's pivotal moments, and all season long, one play's outcome can change the entire season. But up to this point, Steven Parker's play at the end may be the single most important pivotal play of OU's season thus far. We'll see in the weeks ahead.

Reactions: Sooners83
I thought that was just a 'Prank Post' that someone had made up, but NOT! Click on the Tweet and an entire page of equally idiotic comments unfolds. I am not believing that Patterson thought that...nevertheless SAID it...

There is some VERY Creative 'Spin' put on the tcu loss...:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's why I think it was more just Patterson being Patterson. We've seen it countless times over his coaching career. But with Big Mo on his side, he could have easily won the game in shocking fashion.

TCU would have been more likely to win had it kicked the extra point and sent the game into OT. I do not believe OU would have been able to score more than a field goal had it gone into OT. TCU's offense had the OU defense on its heels late in the game....even though it brilliantly stopped the two point conversion with great pursuit and coverage.
If Mayfield is out for the OSU game, OU is very unlikely to win. Knight's level of play has plummeted this year due to what I consider to be "playing time atrophy".
So goes Mayfield's health, so goes OU's winning more games this year. Plain and simple.

The thing about "playing time atrophy," is that TCU's quarterbacks combined to have a lot less than Trevor by himself. And he had considerable experience prior to this season, while they'd had none. So the PTA argument would be pretty hollow.

Receiver was open in the back of the end zone. QB didn't put enough lift on the ball. Play would have worked, but Patterson should have factored in an inexperienced QB into the going for 2. That was the real mistake IMHO.

The thing about "playing time atrophy," is that TCU's quarterbacks combined to have a lot less than Trevor by himself. And he had considerable experience prior to this season, while they'd had none. So the PTA argument would be pretty hollow.
yes!

Receiver was open in the back of the end zone. QB didn't put enough lift on the ball. Play would have worked, but Patterson should have factored in an inexperienced QB into the going for 2. That was the real mistake IMHO.
What unfolded was not the play that was called. TCU did not call a play that was going to work. The playground play after the original play broke down was what put them in a position to have a chance to win. Had that been the called play, he would have known he needed to put it up higher. He was surprised t see the open receiver and couldn't get it to him.
Patterson's 5 day excuse is lame. He has the game won in OT - maybe 95%-98%. Only chance OU has is a TCU turnover. Instead he made a decision that gave him maybe a 50% chance with the way OU's defense was playing. He only got one play to win or lose. In OT, much more of a chance. He didn't give his players the best chance to win. These players don't care about 3 OT's or 5 days. They wanted a win and didn't get to take the best chance available. This was 100% a dumb call. Even if they made the play, it was 100% the wrong call.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Humble, totally agree. You play to win what's right in front of you. Not sure wtf Patterson was thinking. I was just pointing out the guy was open and often on these type of plays, it's not the original one called. In those situations, you want an experienced QB. Also on 2 pt conversions it's good to have a QB that can run or pass like Boykin can do. Just a weird way to end that game. Game does reinforce how important a QB is and why Texas continues to suck.

What unfolded was not the play that was called. TCU did not call a play that was going to work. The playground play after the original play broke down was what put them in a position to have a chance to win. Had that been the called play, he would have known he needed to put it up higher. He was surprised t see the open receiver and couldn't get it to him.
Patterson's 5 day excuse is lame. He has the game won in OT - maybe 95%-98%. Only chance OU has is a TCU turnover. Instead he made a decision that gave him maybe a 50% chance with the way OU's defense was playing. He only got one play to win or lose. In OT, much more of a chance. He didn't give his players the best chance to win. These players don't care about 3 OT's or 5 days. They wanted a win and didn't get to take the best chance available. This was 100% a dumb call. Even if they made the play, it was 100% the wrong call.

Nope, that was pure spite...and to elaborate, it was designed to put a dagger into Stoops' and the Sooner Nations hearts in sinister fashion.
Just didn't work out that way.:eek:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT