ADVERTISEMENT

OT, WP76....

and anyone here who enjoys history:
I will be closing on a house next week in Gettysburg.
A lifelong desire (from July 1960, when I was 11) will be a reality.
My twilight years will become much brighter.
My man, yer twilight years don't start until after you fix that rusty bucket. Then you bathe in the twilight. 😉

I’m happy for you, CT. I remember, yes I still can sometimes, you considering moving back to the Houston area. Or am I wrong? Lol. Gettysburg is a great choice for you!

I’m happy for you, CT. I remember, yes I still can sometimes, you considering moving back to the Houston area. Or am I wrong? Lol. Gettysburg is a great choice for you!
I will travel to Houston to see family and friends, but Houston is no longer for me. It was great in the 1960's-to mid=1980's, but I don't want to live there now. Heat and traffic too much plus I like the landscape and history in this area. Maine and Gettysburg are my "meccas".....and Connecticut has been good to us.

I loved living in Houston (1971-79), but I was younger and could tolerate the traffic back then. Not any longer. Besides (Sonny) Look’s Sir Loin Inn isn’t open any longer.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Hi, CT, sorry about being late to the party but congratulations! Gettysburg has always held a special place in my heart and I think it's really neat that you've bought a home there. You and President Eisenhower have something in common but I hope you get to live there longer than he did.

You're about 4.5 hours from West Point should you decide to attend any more games there 8^)

Again, congrats.

Hi, CT, sorry about being late to the party but congratulations! Gettysburg has always held a special place in my heart and I think it's really neat that you've bought a home there. You and President Eisenhower have something in common but I hope you get to live there longer than he did.

You're about 4.5 hours from West Point should you decide to attend any more games there 8^)

Again, congrats.
My future attendance of ballgames will likely by the football games at Gettysburg College....where maybe a few hundred people attend and games are played by actual students.
I'm still in mourning over the OU-Army game in 2020 being cancelled by the Chinese virus. That was to be my last attended game and would have fulfilled my long time dreamof seeing OU play in Michie Stadium....59 years after I saw OU beat Army 14-8 in 1961 at Yankee Stadium.

Reactions: iasooner2000
My future attendance of ballgames will likely by the football games at Gettysburg College....where maybe a few hundred people attend and games are played by actual students.
I'm still in mourning over the OU-Army game in 2020 being cancelled by the Chinese virus. That was to be my last attended game and would have fulfilled my long time dreamof seeing OU play in Michie Stadium....59 years after I saw OU beat Army 14-8 in 1961 at Yankee Stadium.
The next (and one of the few remaining) Army games I'll attend at Michie Stadium will be at my 50th reunion. Although my wife will accompany me for the reunion activities, she's not nearly as fond of the FB games as I am. That said, perhaps we could attend that game together in October 2026. [My wife will easily find something to pass the time of a missed game LOL.} Getting a couple of tickets shouldn't be difficult. If that's something you'd be potentially interested in please let me know. You never know what might happen between now and then (or what the rest of the reunion schedule might look like) but it's certainly worth considering.

Reactions: CTOkie
The next (and one of the few remaining) Army games I'll attend at Michie Stadium will be at my 50th reunion. Although my wife will accompany me for the reunion activities, she's not nearly as fond of the FB games as I am. That said, perhaps we could attend that game together in October 2026. [My wife will easily find something to pass the time of a missed game LOL.} Getting a couple of tickets shouldn't be difficult. If that's something you'd be potentially interested in please let me know. You never know what might happen between now and then (or what the rest of the reunion schedule might look like) but it's certainly worth considering.
And if I'm still breathing that sounds good.
I'm to undergo a heart valve replacement soon, perhaps no later than April, and I expect a new lease on life at 73.

And if I'm still breathing that sounds good.
I'm to undergo a heart valve replacement soon, perhaps no later than April, and I expect a new lease on life at 73.
If ANY of us have to have Medical Issues, 2022 is the Best Possible Time for it. Technology, and Expertise have NEVER been better! Closer to the time, please update us, and we'll be sure to get in touch with 'The Man', in your behalf!!

Last edited:
What Seniorita said is truth. My oldest son had major heart issues when he was born 36 years ago and had two procedures before he was 2. He had a valve replacement about 6 years ago. Open heart surgery and home in less than a week (these days) is the new normal

Having spent every one of my 75 years here in Waterbury (even commuted 4 years to college in Bridgeport ) , yes, a very hearty congratulations on a move to a dream destination. Thought more than a few times we might get together and reminisce about the Yankee Stadium game we attended, separately, together. Meeting half way between our homes will now mean rendezvousing in central New Jersey instead of some place like Meriden. You take care.

CT this is a nice post for the board. Thank you for sharing. And congratulations Sir. You've posted your affinity for Gettysburg and settling in that area will be special for you. Keep us posted!

CT, I think I have mentioned on this board that I was raised in a trailer following pipeline projects to all corners of the US. The trailer was necessary in order to move locations fast and easy as the line progressed by "miles per day". My father was promoted to project superintendent at a very early age in the industry. We lived outside Manassas, Virginia for a few months in the late 50s. While cleaning right-of-way and digging the pipeline ditch the crew came into contact with hundreds of Confederate rifles that had been laid down to stabilize crossing a marsh. The project was stopped by the Historical Society and was eventually re-routed to everyone's satisfaction. My father became an avid reader of Civil War history in his later years because of his many experiences like this. He could talk for hours because of his familiarity with places and events. I inherited a collection of coins, watches, knives, tools and other various artifacts from his 20 plus years of digging. We donated his collection of Civil War books to the Bartlesville Public Library. I wish you all the best in realizing your life's dream of settling in the area of your desire.

I hope you all enjoyed the new 3-day series on Lincoln on History that aired Sunday-Tuesday night as much as I did. I wasn’t aware of how often he visited the front lines, sometimes under fire.
Hopefully Brandon waits until after the election to attempt similar visits obviously

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
ADVERTISEMENT