ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question smoking a Briskit

pssooner

Sooner commitment
Sep 20, 2006
Palm Springs Ca.
Smoking my first briskit on my new smoker, using hickory chips, have the timer set for 6 hours,what should the internal temp. be at when done.....
thanks.

Well, all the other variables being equal...around 180-190 F.

It's really hard to eff up brisket really...
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
Also, I might add, a common faux pas with newbs' is they check it too much.

Leave the lid closed and remember...if you're looking, it aint cooking. (or some such corny crap as that..:)
that's not a problem. it's a new Masterbuilt electric smokehouse. just pull out the chip tray out the side to add the chips,so no opening the door.... I've used it for ribs, but this is my first briskit.

It depends on how you want it to come out. Brisket is a very tough cut of meat. It takes quite a bit of heat to do it justice. I like my brisket to be very tender. If I am going to put a brisket in the oven and want to serve it at 6:30 PM then I put it in the oven at 220 at 6:00 AM and take it out at 6:00 pm.

I always put the fat side of the brisket up. I also make sure the brisket doesn't sit in fat as I just want the dripping from the fat side up to continually keep the brisket moistened. When I take it out of the oven I immediately scrape all the fat off of it. It just slides right off really easy. I don't cut it until I am ready to serve it.

When I smoke it, I follow the same kind of routine.

Originally posted by pssooner:
Smoking my first briskit on my new smoker, using hickory chips, have the timer set for 6 hours,what should the internal temp. be at when done.....
thanks.
You can't smoke a brisket (even just the flat) properly in 6 hours. If you get it to 190 or 195 internal in that amount of time, you've forced it through the plateau and you'll end up with a tough hunk of meat.

Originally posted by veritas59:

thanks.
You can't smoke a brisket (even just the flat) properly in 6 hours. If you get it to 190 or 195 internal in that amount of time, you've forced it through the plateau and you'll end up with a tough hunk of meat.
Veritas,
its only a 5 lb flat cut not a ten or twelve lb cut.... it's just me and the wife.

Originally posted by roygbell:
It depends on how you want it to come out. Brisket is a very tough cut of meat. It takes quite a bit of heat to do it justice. I like my brisket to be very tender. If I am going to put a brisket in the oven and want to serve it at 6:30 PM then I put it in the oven at 220 at 6:00 AM and take it out at 6:00 pm.

I always put the fat side of the brisket up. I also make sure the brisket doesn't sit in fat as I just want the dripping from the fat side up to continually keep the brisket moistened. When I take it out of the oven I immediately scrape all the fat off of it. It just slides right off really easy. I don't cut it until I am ready to serve it.

Roy I've set it at 250 for 6 hours. right now at 4 hours in it's at 174

Originally posted by veritas59:

thanks.
Agree, depending on the size of the brisket I generally smoke at least 12 hours at 200-225

Originally posted by roygbell:

Roy I've set it at 250 for 6 hours. right now at 4 hours in it's at 174
Good for you. You asked a specific question in your OP "Smoking my first briskit on my new smoker, using hickory
chips, have the timer set for 6 hours,what should the internal temp. be
at when done.....
thanks."

That is what I tried to respond with your "saying you have never smoked a brisket before". It isn't all about the internal temperature. As I said brisket is a tough cut of beef. It takes some time at temperature to break it down to a degree of tenderness that most people prefer. It is always preferable to cut back on the temperature and add cooking time to the process.

Roy.
I think I get it. It was really good..... But it could have been better, next time I will cook it longer for sure. it was still very moist. but I think I get it from everyones responses..........thanks to all of you.

Roy.
I think I get it. It was really good..... But it could have been better, next time I will cook it longer for sure. it was still very moist. but I think I get it from everyones responses..........thanks to all of you.
My first "lesson learned" when it comes to smoking beef was PATIENCE. Just plan on an entire day of working with, and waiting on that beef to properly cook.

I can cook a brisket in 8 hrs that is tender and moist. Once you get eternal temp to 190 + then pull of smoker and let it rest for about 30 minutes before slicing.

The best barbeque that I have ever had was at an old abandoned gas station in north Georgetown, Texas in 1971. An eighty-year-old man started it after retiring. He was only open for Sunday lunch, and he only had one table that had uneven legs. We found the place because we asked a gas station on the highway where the best restaurant in Georgetown was, being on our way back from South Padre (before there were buildings on the island).

He put everything into his grill Saturday evening about 8 P.M. and let it cook slowly overnight. He said it was usually finished about 10:00 on Sunday morning. He had brisket, sausages, chicken, and ribs. There must have been a solid line of cars trying to park at this old station as they went from church to get takeout, and he probably made enough profit from that one meal to last a week. He did use hickory. I have no idea where he found hickory in Georgetown, Tx. But, he believed in slow-cooking everything. It had no sauce. He had a little of everything that had been cooked with a sauce. Most of it was simply smoked. He did sell the sauce of his own making. I found that just the smoked brisket was quite sufficient. If you cook it that long, you can avoid using high temperatures, and it tastes better if most of the meat is intact, letting some of the fat remain.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ateu6Ah5vk5MrIHQ0xyDO5qbvZx4?fr=yfp-t-314-s&toggle=1&fp=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=animal%20fat%20melting%20point%20chart

If you notice, animal fat tends to melt at 44-45 degrees Celsius which is only about 113 degrees Fahrenheit. It doesn't need a lot of heat. It needs time.

I cook to the 190-195 range and then most important let that thing rest like a steak. I'd say a good hour if not longer the bigger you get in brisket size.

Living in Texas i've learned a lot about smoking brisket but I still have so much to learn; it's definitely not an easy process.

ADVERTISEMENT