ADVERTISEMENT

OT: OK boys, here goes nothing. I don’t even know where to start. Cancer is a shithead.

Wufee

Sooner starter
Dec 12, 2001
Sooo, 3 weeks ago I find out that I’ve got a brain tumor.

A little later, I’ll fill everyone in on my terror filled cancer history. Needless to say, this is my 4th life threatening, cancer experience, since 1986. Each time, was supposed to be my last. Each one of them is/was, a very bad actor, with deadly intent.

After absorbing the initial shock of the brain prob, my Pham and I sat down to start formulating a plan to deal with this new threat.

unfortunately, the virus problem complicated our planning, in unbelievable ways.

Because of my cancer history, we didn’t have to go thru any wasted time of fear and gridlock. Decisiveness and clear thinking, is mandatory or you may hurt your survival chances.

So we spent a day , thinking about , strategy and locations and finally settled on The Mayo, Rochester.

We reached out and they were willing to work us right in. It takes a bit to get records transfers, appts set up, and all the other issues that need to be dealt with, in order to get you in the system. At this point, we have no idea what we’re dealing with.

We’re pretty sure that we’re dealing with a primary malignancy.

At this part of the story, I’m gonna switch over to a figurative approach to telling the rest of the experience.

Two weeks ago, we load up in my sons new ride, and head North. We decided to drive, over flying, for virus reasons.

My attitude was that we’d go up there, I d take over the joint, take care of some business, fix the problem, and come home. Pick up where I left off, and keep on bogeying down life’s highway of adventure and intrigue.

Whoa Nellie, sometimes I can be very stupid.

We get into town and in my minds eye, we drive up to this amazing, world class, Mayo Baseball stadium. All lit up with lights blazing. Just waiting for my appearance.

I ease out of the car, take Ol Lightening out of his case and do a slow pimp stroll up to the plate.

Thinking, man this is easy, I’ll be be back in Tulsa in a few days and all these Northern cats will remember, this Tulsa dude, who came up and showed them how the cow ate the cabbage.

I step in the box and WHAP. I look around and am wondering, what the heck was that?

I was just served up a 95mph, high inside hummer that nearly took off my cap. I didn’t even see the filthy thing.

I looked down at the catcher, he was holding the pitch and grinning. The nonchalant Umpire was busy deep diving for a booger and I was standing there all confused.

I looked out at the mound and this lanky lefty was standing out there grinning. I scowl out at him and yell out , get that jackass look off your face before I come out there. He grins.

About that time, WHAP. He did it it again. I never saw it coming and my cap is on sideways. I look at the grinning catcher, holding the ball and the ump is checking out his treasurer

I glance out at the grinning lefty and he says, get your ol ass back in there and check out this next one.

I step out of the box, all rattled, and think, wuf, you might just be in serious do do.

I look back at the lefty and say, I’ll see your dumb ass tomorrow and we’ll Just see what happens then, as I try to salvage a little pride.

At this point, I realize that there’ll be no fast trip to The Mayo, but in fact, I’ve got a real live, major problem on my hands. This tumor is the real deal and I’m in for a real tussle.

So I slip off to my room , ready to check into The Mayo the next day.

That night, as I girded my loins, I dream a dream. I’m standing in the Great Plains of Kansas.

Sadie is tied to my left leg growling and snarling and Buster is fastened to my right leg, going insane with anger and fierceness.

I’m standing there with spread legs and a fighting tornado, in each of my hands.

Standing before me is a gigantic swirling typhoon. It’s jinking left and right, looking for an opening thru my defenses.

But I’m standing there,In complete confidence. I stair intently, at the mighty force before me. Seeing pure evil in its most basic form.

But wait a minute, I just picked up a fear and worry vibration, from the beast. It’s vulnerable.

I grip my mighty fighting tornados and prepare to launch myself, at this evil, I smell fear all over it.

Suddenly, I wake up, feeling very strong and resolute.

We get up and head over to The Mayo, to get checked in. Thus is the beginning of 2 weeks of intense medical work begins.

The primary purpose of this visit was to do a brain biopsy and complete a genetic breakdown of the tumor. This would help define the treatment plan.

But I found out, very quickly, that I had a low platelet and blood sugar problem. They were dead in the water until these probs were solved. It took over a week.

The biopsy was completed but the final analysis is not complete. It definitely is cancerous and so the war begins.

My cancer history is a real stemwinder.

In 1986 , my thyroid had 2 tumors and so bye bye thyroid.

In 2011 , I got prostate cancer, with a very bad high risk factor. MDA was concerned that it had spread to surrounding lymph nodes. Not good and maybe end game. But , didn’t happen. I’m still sucking down good oxygen And booking down the road.

In 2012, I found myself with Chronic leukemia, also with a high risk element. Something called 17 P deletion. At that time, there were no treatment options and I might have 5 years.

But, they said if I could go cancer free, for 2 years, that I could then qualify for promising clinical trials.

I did make the 2 years and the leukemia is now in the rear view mirror.

So here we are today. The Mayo and I haven’t talked serious turkey yet. Probably this week.

But it doesn’t really make any difference. I’ll continue to be me and do what I do. Whether it is 3 months or 10 years and 3 months.

I’m in a complete peaceful state of mind and at complete peace with the state of my soul and will continue to savor and taste each day. Besides, I have pups to raise.

You men will continue to play an important roll in my life and for me, this latest life chapter, will play itself out and we’ll keep on doing what we do.

We’re formulating a very solid treatment plan. More to come.

Ok, play very close attention. I’ve got a few Hospital Life Hacks, that you need to pay attention too.

If you live long enough, you’ll probably have some hospital stays.

The subject is hospital gowns, ball sacks, and saggy asses.

Repeat, I repeat, do not be concerned about any of this. My young nurses loved my independent nature.

My ol ass and ball sack saw more freedom than restraint. I’ve earned the right lol.

Fellas, there’s nothing about life that is supposed to be fair, uncomplicated, easy sledding, and so on. It’s just life.

I’ll keep everyone In the loop.

I’m probably headed back to The Mayo this week.

Later fine Broheims.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.