ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movie Review - American Sniper

Schoonerman

Sooner starter
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
Saw this one last week and here's what I thought of the movie in a nutshell.... It left me wanting more.

AS is the true story of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, who had the most kills of any sniper in U.S. history, while protecting U.S. troops in Iraq. The scenes of the SEAL training and the combat scenes in Iraq are gripping and quite intense. Director Clint Eastwood does a good job of capturing how combat has such a life-altering effect on many of our soldiers. Many come back severely wounded, missing limbs or horribly disfigured. But many come back physically intact, but are suffering from PTSD that makes it difficult for them to acclimate back into civilian life.

Sienna Miller plays Kyle's wife, Taya, who is struggling to raise the family while Kyle is overseas. But when he's home, he's not there due to him wanting to be back in Iraq with his "brothers and sisters." This leads to many conflicts between them and many scenes involving the two are about her wanting him to stop fighting, come home and be a full-time father to their growing family. There is a very strong message about why Kyle feels it is important to be fighting terrorism overseas instead of on our shores. And there is an equally strong message about the folks back home supporting our troops. And not just supporting them while they are overseas, but when they return home as well. This is where I felt the movie came up a little short.

After his service ended, Kyle comes back home and learns to adjust to civilian life. He also decides to help out his fellow vets who are struggling to "get back to normal" and works with many of them to help them deal with their issues. This is where I would have liked to have seen more about Kyle's work to help out others returning from combat. In the end, it is his work with other vets that ultimately leads to his death (Sorry if that spoils the movie for some who are not familiar with Kyle's story).

I will say that the ending of the movie is one of the most dramatic and emotionally charged endings I can recall. After the movie ended, not one word was spoken by the audience leaving the theater. Eastwood does a fine job of bringing the message home that these brave men and women need our support at home, just as much as they do when abroad. Although I felt this movie did not live up to all of my expectations, it's still a very good one and I give it 8 out of 10 Sooner Schooners.

I was eager to get your take on this. So far, your opinions have matched mine on almost all of your Reviews, and I was hoping this one would show up sooner, rather than later. THANKS, Mr. Dependable!

Senior, Thanks for the kind words. I'm just glad you are reading my reviews.

ps (former CalOkie), no plans on coming to the beautiful Palm Springs area this year. I've got a 30th wedding anniversary this summer, so I need to come up with something exotic for the wifey. We went to Negril, Jamaica a few years ago and she loved it, so I'm kicking that idea around. Also, her sisters want to set up a "family reunion" at a resort in Tulum, Mexico, so that is on the radar screen as well.

Enjoy the movie!

Originally posted by Schoonerman:

Although I felt this movie did not live up to all of my expectations, it's still a very good one and I give it 8 out of 10 Sooner Schooners.
This kinda sums up my impressions of the movie as well. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie!! But I think it's one of those situations where the media and such has made such a point of selling it and building it up, it maybe raised my expectations to an unfair level. I think I was expecting too much. I will say this though that Bradley Cooper did an AMAZING job at portraying Chris Kyle. There are plenty of interviews out there of Kyle before he was killed for people to watch. And I am utterly amazed at how well Cooper was able to portray Kyle.

This is certainly a movie I recommend everyone to go see. Even if you aren't a fan of war movies, it can be an eye opener for people to get a taste of what our troops have to deal with when trying to adjust to civilian life and how stressful the deployment tempo can be on military families.

Thank you once again, Schoonerman. And you too BillyRay. Without your review I am certain I would have expected more than the film can deliver. I'm still very anxious to see it and I'm sure I won't be disappointed now.

After his service ended, Kyle comes back home and learns to adjust to civilian life. He also decides to help out his fellow vets who are struggling to "get back to normal" and works with many of them to help them deal with their issues. This is where I would have liked to have seen more about Kyle's work to help out others returning from combat.
I may be mistaken on this, but it was my understanding the book covered much of what you're referring to, that I also wish could have been covered in the movie. And my point to that comment is that this is certainly one of the drawbacks to the movie version. There's not much time to cover everything with sufficiency, or it would last 4-5 hours. I'd certainly watch it, but we all know that wasn't gonna happen.

All that being said, I do agree with your comments, including the section about Kyle's work post combat.

Excelent review Schoonerman. And I might add, when we watched the movie, at the end, it was quite & solemn as you mentioned and then one guy proudly stated aloud. God Bless Our Military.

A great movie and I think Eastwood's best work to date as a Director.

I think the movie review is pretty much right on the spot. It was really eerie when the movie was over and as Schoonerman said not one word was spoken. Most times when you leave a movie somebody is usually talking about it on the way out. My wife didn't go with me and she asked me when I got home if it was good. I simply said it was a good movie but I wouldn't have called it great. With that being said as a veteran I think we need to get these guys more help when they return because those that have witnessed war it usually finds a way to change ones life. My nephew is one of those people as he served 2 tours in Iraq and I can attest it certainly took some effect on him.

BTW, if you like life movies one should see these when they get a chance.

1. The Good Lie (Reese Witherspoon )

2. Rudderless (Billy Crupup ) and this film actually takes place in Oklahoma.

Both movies I rented on a whim and was really pleased. However if your wife is like mine she may need a tissue.

I know I'm in the minority, but I felt the same way about Saving Private Ryan. The initial fighting scene was life like and dramatic, but the story line left a lot to be desired. I felt myself waiting for the movie to be over

Well, OK for you...
laugh.r191677.gif

Reactions: Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc
BW, your's is an interesting take. I'm not finding fault in it at all, but I struggle with understanding how this could be. But that's on me. The Iraq war and it's soldier(s) of the war holds a special place. I realize my view my on all things Iraq a bit different than some as my son served 13 months in Iraq as an IED hunter. It was a very diffcult time for us as a family unit and we were blessed that he returned safely. It is for these reasons that I believe I've formed a thought process that can't rationalize many things of the war that others can see.

To me, the movie showed the personal struggle and tug of war of between the love of a soldier to his military brothers and his own family. This personal struggle exists among many soldiers. Many soldiers anti up again while on tour. I never understood this either. I still don't. But they did. We were blessed however as a family. He came home safe and never really struggled with a great deal of PSD. Although he had some stuggle with adjusting. The ability to drive in traffic, attend events w/ large crowds, and/or go out at night w/ friends at bars that had bright flashong lighting. There was a level of mistrust of everyone, everywhere he went. Especially driving. This lasted only a couple of months before he re-acclimated to his surroundings.

But I thought the storyline was pretty spot on. It echoed the storyline of many, many soldiers & their families. But in the end, I agree, it is not something to be desired. I'm glad the war in Iraq is over. War is ugly, hard, difficult and unflortunately needed.

I guess I just never was able to buy into the movie and its characters. I can see how someone with a military background might have looked at it differently.

Originally posted by barkingwater2000:
I know I'm in the minority, but I felt the same way about Saving Private Ryan. The initial fighting scene was life like and dramatic, but the story line left a lot to be desired. I felt myself waiting for the movie to be over
I think i can understand where you are coming from. I think soonerdave said it well, that if they tried to cover everything in the time span the movie happened, it would have been 4-5hrs or more. Watching the movie it did seem like it covered large chunks of time very quickly. Watching the movie it's virtually impossible to even come close to the feeling of being deployed for as much as Kyle was since the movie shows a few events over in Iraq, then a few events in the states, then a few events over in Iraq, then a few events over in the states, etc. It bounces back and forth between deloyments very quickly. In a way it made the movie feel a bit rushed and disjointed, but I think Eastwood did the best he could.

Myself, since I was in the military and know the feeling of going through long deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, so it certainly wasn't lost on me. But I could very much see how others may feel a bit confused at the rushed timeline that was presented in the movie.

Originally posted by soonerdave:

After his service ended, Kyle comes back home and learns to adjust to civilian life. He also decides to help out his fellow vets who are struggling to "get back to normal" and works with many of them to help them deal with their issues. This is where I would have liked to have seen more about Kyle's work to help out others returning from combat.
I may be mistaken on this, but it was my understanding the book covered much of what you're referring to, that I also wish could have been covered in the movie. And my point to that comment is that this is certainly one of the drawbacks to the movie version. There's not much time to cover everything with sufficiency, or it would last 4-5 hours. I'd certainly watch it, but we all know that wasn't gonna happen.

All that being said, I do agree with your comments, including the section about Kyle's work post combat.
I think if they had done that then it would have been a 4+ hour movie. They also left out him getting shot 3 times . The best thing would have been for them to do a true detective like series. Not the detective part, but one season about 9 episodes on showtime or hbo but it would not have brought in anywhere close to what it did in the theaters $$$ wise. He also had some larger than life stories that were not true, one being that he punched jesse ventura, but overall I think most of what is on film is factual.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the movie Saving Private Ryan. I haven't seen American Sniper.
Wait. What?

You posted this earlier

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:

Just to clarify, I was talking about the movie Saving Private Ryan. I haven't seen American Sniper.
Wait. What?

You posted this earlier

kinda how I read it...

12673315.jpg

Originally posted by BillyRay:

Although I felt this movie did not live up to all of my expectations, it's still a very good one and I give it 8 out of 10 Sooner Schooners.
This kinda sums up my impressions of the movie as well. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie!! But I think it's one of those situations where the media and such has made such a point of selling it and building it up, it maybe raised my expectations to an unfair level. I think I was expecting too much. I will say this though that Bradley Cooper did an AMAZING job at portraying Chris Kyle. There are plenty of interviews out there of Kyle before he was killed for people to watch. And I am utterly amazed at how well Cooper was able to portray Kyle.

This is certainly a movie I recommend everyone to go see. Even if you aren't a fan of war movies, it can be an eye opener for people to get a taste of what our troops have to deal with when trying to adjust to civilian life and how stressful the deployment tempo can be on military families.
I agree with Schoonerman and Billy. This is my thoughts on the movie as well.

I thought about as much of it as I did Lone Survivor. I don't see any reason to make it. I'm 100% for fighting these Islamic terrorists anywhere they want to battle, but making a movie about it makes no sense to me. I haven't really liked war movies since A Bridge Too Far, or maybe the Dirty Dozen or John Wayne in Iwo Jima.
To make a movie in the reality medium they are able to film in today about what is going on right now to me defeats the purpose of going to a movie. The older flicks I mentioned dealt in broad stroke WWII at a time when no one was bleeding from it.
Why do we want to see this? I don't know..hell I went to both and wish I had not. I will say I have never really bought into the Marcus Luttrell story because there are so many holes that never added up, and he seems so eager to continue to publicize and earn from this unlike a thousand SEAL's before him who have as horrible or even worse stories to tell and won't because they want no part of glorifying a job they did because they were trained to do it. Hey it's America and everyone has a right to earn as he can, no doubt nor any inclination to alter that but I will say I know a few former vets from more than one conflict, and whom also lost buddies who have no respect for how he has handled all of it.
As for Kyle, he served with honor as best as anyone can tell and deserves the recognition as such. But to watch an attempt by Hollywood to portray him at a time when others are serving and dying against the same enemy is in bad form and I don't think does his service justice. I felt just as strongly about him writing his book which I have not nor now will read.
His death was tragic and filled with sad irony. I was on a shooting range 60 miles away from the one he was killed on at the same time his life was taken.
I am a patriot, and if his experience and service stirs our patriotism that's awesome.

Originally posted by sabbott1958:

I thought about as much of it as I did Lone Survivor. I don't see any reason to make it. I'm 100% for fighting these Islamic terrorists anywhere they want to battle, but making a movie about it makes no sense to me. I haven't really liked war movies since A Bridge Too Far, or maybe the Dirty Dozen or John Wayne in Iwo Jima.
To make a movie in the reality medium they are able to film in today about what is going on right now to me defeats the purpose of going to a movie. The older flicks I mentioned dealt in broad stroke WWII at a time when no one was bleeding from it.
Why do we want to see this? I don't know..hell I went to both and wish I had not. I will say I have never really bought into the Marcus Luttrell story because there are so many holes that never added up, and he seems so eager to continue to publicize and earn from this unlike a thousand SEAL's before him who have as horrible or even worse stories to tell and won't because they want no part of glorifying a job they did because they were trained to do it. Hey it's America and everyone has a right to earn as he can, no doubt nor any inclination to alter that but I will say I know a few former vets from more than one conflict, and whom also lost buddies who have no respect for how he has handled all of it.
As for Kyle, he served with honor as best as anyone can tell and deserves the recognition as such. But to watch an attempt by Hollywood to portray him at a time when others are serving and dying against the same enemy is in bad form and I don't think does his service justice. I felt just as strongly about him writing his book which I have not nor now will read.
His death was tragic and filled with sad irony. I was on a shooting range 60 miles away from the one he was killed on at the same time his life was taken.
I am a patriot, and if his experience and service stirs our patriotism that's awesome.
You are nothing but a f'ing idiot. Please go away. These men have written books about their experiences in war. If you don't believe them then that is your problem. Stuff your head back in the sand and go back to tending to your ant farm. People like you make me sick.

You do nothing but prove this world is full of morons.

Let me ask you something.....did you serve this country in the military?? I ask this since I very much sense from reading your post that you watch these incredible stories of real life war veterans and heroes and maybe you look back and wish you had served and that you missed your chance?? Or it's possible you did serve, yet you look back on your service and are jealous that Kyle and Luttrell achieved such recognition for what they went through and you are jealous that your military service didn't come close to the same level of recognition??

Whether you buy into Luttrell's story is irrelevant, and is meaningless. You weren't there. He was. You have zero ground to stand on as far as questioning his events or memory of what happened. I've watched him admit in interviews that he can't possibly remember everything that happened in every single moment. And oddly enough, the families of both movies have overwhelming supported the movies made about the persons being portrayed on the screen. You may not support it, but they do and their opinions and feelings carry FAR more weight than yours.

And in on sentence you say Kyle deserves recognition, then another sentence you seem to criticize the guy for writing a book about his story. So what gives?? You admit you haven't even read the book, so why even attempt to criticize something you admit you have no clue about in the first place?? I literally don't understand how anyone can be critical of a person's book and story when they haven't even read it. That's about as ignorantly hypocritical as it can get.

This post was edited on 1/31 5:17 AM by BillyRay

I actually think there will have to be another 911 attack to wake up the American people. When will you and others wake the eff up & realize that America is at war, has been at war, and will continue to be at war with Islamic terrorism for years and years to come. I will also add, that we no longer see anti-war activists on our TVs now that were protesting the war while, as you say, "serving & dying". I have no issue with those that serve in a war to profit off their service. God knows everyone else does.

Amazing. Debou, I make you sick? My head in the sand? You don't read and comprehend well do you? To disagree about making a movie like this makes me a f-ing idiot.

You are the problem. Unlike you I can separate Hollywood from real life.

I ask you the same question Billy Ray asked me: did you serve? If you did, which by your very act of trashing anyone's right to their opinion makes me doubt that that very strongly, then you should know better.

My dad's dad was career military, my dad was and I served as well. My opinions of both men are based upon what I feel and those I know who also served in harm's way feel.

And Billy Ray, vets who survive don't worry nor are they jealous of what anyone before or after them do or have done or what recognition they received. That's a an armchair response and not worth my time.

As I said: I was on a range just 60 miles from where Kyle was when he was murdered by a nut he was trying to help. My son who also serves was with me.

And last, if you think I am asleep when it comes to what we face from radical Islam, you are wrong. My opinion is to engage and defeat them anywhere they are present and that means a policy of off the chain use of our firepower and technology as well as boots on the ground. And to not stop until we have complete and total victory, not an assumption of one.

Here is a lesson. When someone disagrees with you, don't react like our enemy does with intolerance of anyone else's viewpoint.

And Billy Ray, vets who survive don't worry nor are they jealous of what anyone before or after them do or have done or what recognition they received. That's a an armchair response and not worth my time.

As I said: I was on a range just 60 miles from where Kyle was when he was murdered by a nut he was trying to help. My son who also serves was with me.
What does being 60 miles away from where Kyle was murdered have to do with anything?

And I stand by what I said. It's not an armchair response. Ever heard of Stolen Valor? This country is littered with people who lie about their military service and claim they did far more than they actually did. They want the kind of recognition of guys like Luttrell or Kyle get since deep down they are either jealous or simply feel as if they want to get some time in the spotlight as well. And that includes people like you who want to run down their stories/actions as if you want to bring them down to your level. I've known people like you in my life who do this exact thing. You say Kyle deserved recognition, but he wrote a book to share his stories and you blasted him. You criticize Kyle and Luttrell for writing books about what they went through, then you even admitted you hadn't read Kyle's book, and I doubt you have even read Luttrell's book either. Pretty sad you are putting them down for something you know absolutely nothing about.

If you want to run anyone down, then bash on the Hollywood machine that decided to make a heap of money of their stories. It does leave a sour taste in my mouth knowing that so many Hollywood bigwigs are making millions of the painful stories of veterans. But don't put down or try and discredit the actions of vets who come back and want to share their stories. Those veterans decided to write books and share their experiences and honor the sacrifices their buddies made over there in hopes the people of this country could come to some level of understanding of what they went through over there. And Luttrell, Kyle's family, and the families of those killed in both Kyle's and Luttrell's stories have overwhelmingly supported these movies.

If the families read your response they would probably put your opinion in the same heap as Micheal Moore's opinions/comments.

Just got home from taking my 16 yo son to see it. I believe it's brilliant and Bradley Cooper's portrayal even more so. It is the fairest, most realistic portrayal of war I've ever seen. I agree with some of the posts above that it had mostly elements that I did not expect.

I don't think Kyle is portrayed as a hero, so much as an obsessed man because of combined sense of responsibility and patriotism.

I think that the chief "bad guy" the sniper who is killing Americans as effectively as Kyle is killing the enemy, is fairly portrayed. He is brilliant, handsome, athletic, and unfortunately very very effective.

This is a tragedy as good as any that Shakespeare wrote, with the primary difference that we don't see Kyle's death happen. We're only told about it. I suspect this is mostly because we don't know exactly what happened.

Kyle's sense of obligation is much like many American men of had over the history of the nation. He's really good at it. And it's unspoken, but his greatness at what he does, adds to that sense of obligation.

You care about the characters. It's affecting.

I've heard Clint Eastwood call it a fair, anti war, war movie. I think that's close to exactly right. The horror is real. The good guys are flawed, but in unexaggerated ways.

Best movie I've seen in more than a decade. But while there are many movies I enjoy watching over and over, I wouldn't want to see this again, any time soon. But I think an 8 out of ten is way to low. On a scale of 1-25, I'd give it a 23 or 24. If great movies affect us deeply and make us think, I don't know that I've seen a movie that did that more in a decade or two.

I understand that they left out significant parts of the book, but this isn't something I'd want to spend six hours watching in a mini series. I thought the length was about right, and the points were made close to perfectly.

I've earned the right to an opinion Billy Ray. Have you?
Yes I most absolutely have, and my service helped pay for the rest of this country to have have an opinion whether they served or not. But I'm not going to tear down other veterans who have been through much tougher experiences then chose to write books and share it with others and I'm certainly not going to disrespect them by accusing them of distorting the events of their stories to increase their personal gain.

Originally posted by bcsoonerfan:
Haven't seen it but I already don't care to because of all the drama.
BC, don't do that. Drama's drama. Don't let it stop you. It's worthy of the theatre admission mores0 than most movies I've seen. It's a good one, go see it.

Yes I most absolutely have, and my service helped pay for the rest of this country to have have an opinion whether they served or not. But I'm not going to tear down other veterans who have been through much tougher experiences then chose to write books and share it with others and I'm certainly not going to disrespect them by accusing them of distorting the events of their stories to increase their personal gain.
Our country's founders gave us our Liberty. They are the only ones who earned it. Because of them we don't have to earn it,we just have to keep it. Those who have served after the birth of our nation, are serving now, and serve in our future are the keepers of Liberty.

Originally posted by WhyNotaSooner:

Our country's founders gave us our Liberty. They are the only ones who earned it. Because of them we don't have to earn it,we just have to keep it. Those who have served after the birth of our nation, are serving now, and serve in our future are the keepers of Liberty.
You're right, I agree that our founders gave us our freedoms, but it's up to each generation to protect those freedoms. And that protection is paid for in the blood and sacrifices of the people who serve and die to protect those freedoms. Just because our founders gave us the foundation of freedom doesn't mean it's automatic and can never be taken away from us.

This post was edited on 2/2 6:51 PM by BillyRay

ADVERTISEMENT