ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB

newnasty

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
It's sports. Live sports. Albeit no crowd in the stands. It's hard to believe but unless something blows up between now & Friday, MLB will finally start in 5 days. The run to the playoffs is only 60 games. Pitchers must now face a 3 batter minimum unless the inning changes. It'll be interesting.

Who you got? I'm going with the Astros or Cards.

On paper, the Yankees look like the team to beat, but given the short season, playing in front of empty stadiums, new rules and injuries, anything can happen.

On paper, the Yankees look like the team to beat, but given the short season, playing in front of empty stadiums, new rules and injuries, anything can happen.

Agree. But they've been pre-season paper champs for 4 or 5 years now. Maybe this is their break through season.

Last edited:
Agree. But that've been preseason paper champs for 4 or 5 years now. Maybe this is their break through season.
Still hard for me to be excited over such a short season, but at least the players are getting 60 games under their belts to hopefully return to normal in 2021....but that looks like a doubtful scenario right now.

Heck I'm excited. It's MLB. At least it's not NBA or NFL.

Baseball does seem to be the least crazy of the major US pro sports. But it's a crazy time for everybody.
Baseball is definitely the LEAST crazy of the US professional sports, but still with its own issues:
Night games on weekends....some of which are last minute scheduling changes from day games for television.
The absurd length of games.
The obscene cost of attending games.
Juiced baseballs.....MLB knows about this, but wants it to have long ball appeal to the new generation of fans.
Small ball is getting phased out: bunting, hitting behind the runner, stealing bases, are becoming lost arts.
Too many strikeouts and walks....therefore less action in a 3-1/2 to 4 hour long game.
The emphasis on home runs with needless stats like launch angles and exit velocity.
Trying to get 5 "good" innings (3 runs or less) from starting pitchers....stemming from the fragility of pitchers and the overall decline in pitching due to expansion and protecting pitchers with huge contracts.
The constant righty-lefty pitching vs hitting matchups, which to some degree I accept, but it has become excessive these days.
A DH rule in one league and no DH in the other league (huh ??).....although that may change soon if the MLBPA has its way, which it usually does.
No salary cap.
The lack of a commissioner who oversees MLB with a true, sincere love and knowledge of the game...and its fans.
All this said, it's not going to change and I still want baseball even with its many flaws.

Sorry, but baseball is dead to me until next year. I've had the MLB TV package for a decade but I cancelled it. Hopefully, things will be back to normal by the spring of 2021.

Reactions: newnasty and CTOkie
In Plano, I'm not allowed AT&T where I live specifically. So without a dish, which I don't want, I have Frontier (used to be Verizon here) . Frontier got rid of the MLB Network "due to a failure in negotiations." But they dropped several things that I like including that, and three good, non-premium movie networks. Of course, I still have to pay their old fee.

I can watch all the Ranger games this year I want. But they will likely be pretty bad again this season.

Baseball is definitely the LEAST crazy of the US professional sports, but still with its own issues:
Night games on weekends....some of which are last minute scheduling changes from day games for television.
Juiced baseballs.....MLB knows about this, but wants it to have long ball appeal to the new generation of fans.
Small ball is getting phased out: bunting, hitting behind the runner, stealing bases, are becoming lost arts.
Too many strikeouts and walks....therefore less action in a 3-1/2 to 4 hour long game.
The emphasis on home runs with needless stats like launch angles and exit velocity.
Trying to get 5 "good" innings (3 runs or less) from starting pitchers....stemming from the fragility of pitchers and the overall decline in pitching due to expansion and protecting pitchers with huge contracts.
The constant righty-lefty pitching vs hitting matchups, which to some degree I accept, but it has become excessive these days.
A DH rule in one league and no DH in the other league (huh ??).....although that may change soon if the MLBPA has its way, which it usually does.
No salary cap.
The lack of a commissioner who oversees MLB with a true, sincere love and knowledge of the game...and its fans.
All this said, it's not going to change and I still want baseball even with its many flaws.
Walk rate really hasn’t changed (partially because teams rarely utilize an international walk anymore) but yes strike outs and home runs are WAY too high. Ks have increased 14 consecutive seasons

Product of juiced balls and obsession on velocity and hitting ball in air

I don’t like and won’t follow the current game

Last edited:
16 teams....8 from each league....will qualify for the postseason ? Can the regular season be rendered more insignificant ?
My baseball bumper sticker says "Honk if your team makes the 2020 playoffs".

Reactions: iasooner1
No salary cap.

You have some valid points. Having said this... I think baseball has evolved for years & years. I mean who was to say that MLB back in the 40's, 50's, even the 60's did not change things around to take advantage of situations in that time frame?

Personaly speaking, changing the schedules around to fit televison schedule isn't a big deal. I mean one either is going to the gasme or they're not. For me, today's game is an event. I don't get to attend but maybe a handful of games per year and when I do, I clear the calendar so I can attend.

The cost is out of line. But people are still paying the prices. So while I can't go to as many games as I liked, they haven't priced themselves completely out of the market...YET.

Walks & Strike Outs have been part of the game forver. I do think batters & pitchers are better today than years past. A lot of cat & mouse games. But for me the length of the game is due to pitching changes, line up changes, pinch runners, pinch hitters for bunting etc. Those things take a huge amount of time that stretches the game. But I love them. Time of a game in baseball is no biggee for me.

Launch & Exit stats are the latest technology. I remeber baseball before the pitchers had clocked speed. Infusing technology into the gsme is a good thing. The technology of a elctronic scoreboard was a fascinating time when the Astrodome was opened. Good stuff.

I think the 'fragility' on pitchers today stems for a number of things. But primarily from kids throwing 'junk' at a very young age. This tears up arms badly. Many of today's pitchers are simply worn out by the age of 35. Their arms are dead from throwing curves & sliders for 25 yers. But I also agree that sometimes a fat contract is in play as well. Many pitchers re-hab today moreso than they did years ago. Perhaps their union has something to do w/ this.

The picthing/batting match ups have been addressed this year. Which is a good thing and also should speed up the game as well.

I do not like the new extra innings rule. Bseball is a team sport and if you go through your lineup to win a game, that's a good thing. If you go through your line up and lose a game, get better players.

There is a salary cap, but it's not really effective. Teams can pay a fine and move on. I don't remeber any Commisoner that was good for the fans. They've always been a tool for the owners to control the game and players. Some teams just manage better than others when it comes to their fans.

I love baseball. It has continually changed in my lifetime and most likely will do so in it's future as well.

Scheduling games around the whims of TV is a big deal.
Weekend and holiday games should start in the afternoon at 1 pm LOCAL time. And afternoon "matinee" games on weekdays have always been a fan friendly event. Parents should be able to take their kids to such games during the day.
Walks and strikeouts are increasing which reduces the game's action. It is excessive from years past. Its excess should NOT be part of the game.
Pitching is diluted with 30 teams playing...and MLB wants more expansion.
Hitters are much fewer in number with the ability to bunt or hit behind the runner or hit to the opposite field against a shift. They're too busy swinging for homers, even with an 0-2 or 1-2 count on them.
Players today are better athletes than those of 40-50 years ago, but they are not as well versed in the fundamentals of the game.
The bullshit of bat flips (which ESPN glamorizes) is just another attempt of pimping bad sportsmanship.....along with posing at home plate to watch a long fly (which often makes a triple or double into just being a single). I would have loved watching juiced up Barry Bonds do his posing "act" with Gibson, Koufax, Seaver, Spahn or Ryan.
The head-first slide is too prevalent, especially when running to first base. It has been shown that running is generally quicker than the head-first slide for one thing....the chance of injury is reduced as well.
3-4 hour rain delays....such delays should last no more than 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
The game clearly is NOT better than it was 40-50 years ago. Baseball never needed to improve its on-field nature or rules from the 50 years ago.
The best change in baseball that's happened in my lifetime was integrating Blacks and Hispanics into the game, starting in 1947.
Check out the complete game video of game 7 of the 1960 Series between the Pirates and Yankees, and note the number of strikeouts in the 10-9 win by Pittsburgh won on Mazeroski's Hall of Fame entry walkoff homer in the 9th inning.

CT,
I’ve asked about this before; do you recall in a “new” park in the mid 60s, a futuristic pop up automated new ball provider behind the ump ? I used to love the Saturday afternoon games on tv when I was a kid and could swear I saw such a device

CT,
I’ve asked about this before; do you recall in a “new” park in the mid 60s, a futuristic pop up automated new ball provider behind the ump ? I used to love the Saturday afternoon games on tv when I was a kid and could swear I saw such a device
It was the Kansas City A's and was a Charlie Finley creation. They moved to Oakland after the 1967 season.

Aww.. won't happen. In fact, last night no one through at a batter.
I know pipe dream I guess. I was about as optimistic for that as I was about getting to go to the army game in September, and yes a trip to Cooperstown was also in the plans.

I know pipe dream I guess. I was about as optimistic for that as I was about getting to go to the army game in September, and yes a trip to Cooperstown was also in the plans.
I had plans to attend the Army game too, then on to Gettysburg to check out some retirement communities.
Hope you get to Cooperstown. It's a great place to visit.

I had plans to attend the Army game too, then on to Gettysburg to check out some retirement communities.
Hope you get to Cooperstown. It's a great place to visit.
Oh it’s gonna happen. Just hope it’s when I can take my oldest. He was stoked then crushed. Gettysburg is probably the most somber places I’ve ever been too. Fall would have been perfect too with the early morning fog.

They're seriously going to start a man on 2nd base in the event of extra innings? That's grade school stuff.

Today's Braves-Mets game went to extra innings in New York. In the top of the 10th inning, Atlanta's Dansby Swanson became the first player in MLB history to lead off an inning with an RBI single. LOL unbelievable...

Well the 60 game run to the ALCS & WS is basically over for my team already. The Astros Verlander is out for the remaining of the 2020 season w/ elbow injury. They now won't have enough horses to get them to the promised land this year. In fact, it's probably the official end of an era for the Astros. Springer's contract is up for renewal and I don't think they'll sign him. Baylor was only a stop gap temp Manager to get them through this season. The GM is place now is a green first time GM that has most likely been instructed to manage a lower budget. I can see a trading away of players next year in an effort to rebuild the farm system.

Well the 60 game run to the ALCS & WS is basically over for my team already. The Astros Verlander is out for the remaining of the 2020 season w/ elbow injury. They now won't have enough horses to get them to the promised land this year. In fact, it's probably the official end of an era for the Astors. Springer's contract is up for renewal and I don't think they'll sign him. Baylor was only a stop gap temp Manager to get them through this season. The GM is place now is a green first time GM that has most likely been instructed to manage alower budget. I can see a trading away of players next year in an effort to rebuild the farm system.
With 16 teams in the playoff hunt, the Astros can still qualify.
MLB has decided to incorporate a "participation" postseason berth for 16 of the 30 teams.

With 16 teams in the playoff hunt, the Astros can still qualify.
MLB has decided to incorporate a "participation" postseason berth for 16 of the 30 teams.

ALCS or WS I think will be out of their reach w/o Verlander. They lost Cole to FA, and now Verlander to injury, that was a lot of innings and wins last two seasons.

Jim Click, the new Astro GM was V.P. of baseball operations for Tampa Bay these past three years and is widely considered a genius for how well he has kept the Rays competitive. There is no way Jim Carine, the Astros owner let's this franchise slide. He is no Drayton McClane. I think they'll figure out Springer's deal. Rettick will be jettisoned and maybe Gurriel. This year is a crap shoot regardless.

Jim Click, the new Astro GM was V.P. of baseball operations for Tampa Bay these past three years and is widely considered a genius for how well he has kept the Rays competitive. There is no way Jim Carine, the Astros owner let's this franchise slide. He is no Drayton McClane. I think they'll figure out Springer's deal. Rettick will be jettisoned and maybe Gurriel. This year is a crap shoot regardless.

Well he better open his check book then because Springer is going to command alot of money and sending Reddick down the orad won't do it. I can see Correa being shipped out as well.

Verlander is down for two weeks.
He’s out for 2 weeks for sure & then they’re going to re-evaluate the situation, so either one of y’all may be right. I’m no Astro fan whatsoever, but I do hope he can come back; he’s fun to watch when he gets it rolling.

The control and/or cure for this Chinese pandemic keeps eluding our ability....and our common sense.....to harness it. We need to all be on the same page now, but there's too much racial and political divisiveness (riots, demonstrations, blame, carelessness). The BLM movement has been hijacked by people who have turned it from a noble cause into an excuse for vandalism, arson and revolution which makes the pandemic even more of a nightmare.....and it's done nothing to do to improve black lives or to demonstrate concern for the growing and continuing slaughter of blacks in our cities. The Left seems to embrace this upheaval, both the Covid-19 pandemic and the domestic turmoil.
Having had my venting, right now, I'm not sure if there will be a continuation of the MLB season or if there will be football this year. With August only 5 days away, a decision must be made very soon. OU looks to have done its part for player safety, but it's only for one team. This could be a busy week for college football.

Reactions: WP76
Sorry, but baseball is dead to me until next year. I've had the MLB TV package for a decade but I cancelled it. Hopefully, things will be back to normal by the spring of 2021.

My love and enjoyment of baseball has me taking a while to get to this level. But I'm on board now. As if placing a runner on 2nd base at the start of every extra inning isn't enough, 7 inning games will change the entire complex of the game. With this new Double Header 7 inning game rule... I'm out.

Reactions: pssooner
My love and enjoyment of baseball has me taking a while to get to this level. But I'm on board now. As if placing a runner on 2nd base at the start of every extra inning isn't enough, 7 inning games will change the entire complex of the game. With this new Double Header 7 inning game rule... I'm out.
The 7 inning double header rule exists in the minors as yet another way to coddle pitchers. MLB won't do it because it would remove 4 innings of baseball.
I'm still not biting on baseball this year.
This pandemic has pulled my interest in sports out from under me. My hope now is for normalcy in 2021, and that's not a certain thing.

The 7 inning double header rule exists in the minors as yet another way to coddle pitchers. MLB won't do it because it would remove 4 innings of baseball.
I'm still not biting on baseball this year.
This pandemic has pulled my interest in sports out from under me. My hope now is for normalcy in 2021, and that's not a certain thing.
this is the “new normal “ you haven’t heard!! That’s what they want us to believe!!!! Get used to the mask and people living off the government..........at least until the election!

ADVERTISEMENT