ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Losing my patience

Patriotgame

Sooner commitment
Oct 22, 2002
I don't want to come off as unkind or unsympathetic, but I am tired of the constant meetings, protests, statements etc. over what, in my opinion, doesn't exist: systematic racism...I hate calling it racism because there is only one race; the human race

Are there racists out there? Of course there are and they come in ALL genders and skin colors. Does the USA as a whole have a racism problem? I have not seen it especially in the last 20+ years.

I am NOT going to be swayed by a bunch of pimple faced athletes "taking a stand" but I am really close to shutting off my money and my time to watching sports, even OU.

No need to respond. Just ranting.

I don't want to come off as unkind or unsympathetic, but I am tired of the constant meetings, protests, statements etc. over what, in my opinion, doesn't exist: systematic racism...I hate calling it racism because there is only one race; the human race

Are there racists out there? Of course there are and they come in ALL genders and skin colors. Does the USA as a whole have a racism problem? I have not seen it especially in the last 20+ years.

I am NOT going to be swayed by a bunch of pimple faced athletes "taking a stand" but I am really close to shutting off my money and my time to watching sports, even OU.

Systemic racism exists.

Some reading for you: The New Jim Crow, The Color of Law.

Look up the court case against Wells Fargo where they gave higher APRs to minorities with better credit references than whites.

Patriot... I'm in your corner as well. This whole rascist world we live in is being blown up for political reasons and the use of 'Cancel' and sports is part of it. The NBA is a joke these days, the WNBA is even worse. MLB is only playing the game because it's a covid year anyway. If the owners locked out the players, they'd be scrambling. I'm done w/ them all. And if OU wants to play sit out football, well go for it. None of it is worthy of my time. So somebody wake me up when it's all over.

The carefully planned, systematic division going on these days, unfortunately, is working and it's being enhanced by protests that are neither peaceful or with constructive dialogue.
The worst of this is yet to come.
The Democrats are content to let it snowball as they regard it as a nail in Trump's political coffin.
Not one Democratic or liberal network has come forward with condemning the violence as they have fallen in line behind the likes of Pelosi, AOC, Schumer, and Clinton....whose only real "platform" is removing Trump from office.

In the same boat as Patriot.
I will agree that racism exists in America today. There are those who wouldn't change if their lives depended on it. You can't force evil to be good.
First, MLK, JR started his movement in the 50s and 60s, nearly 60-70 years ago.
BLM had a good movement, but, so far, have elected to let rioters, looters, violent folks use their platform. If BLM won't take the steps to separate themselves from that violence, then they likely won't achieve much success with the movement.
I won't get in to my thoughts on Kapernick's motives on the kneeling issue, but it is what started this train running. Problem is, all that has been accomplished since he first decided to set on a bench during the National Anthem, is more protesting, and now eruptions of violence across America.
What is the next step?
You have the nation's attention with all the protests. What is the next step?
If it is just more protests, then it is not a protest at all. It is just civil unrest.
If the purpose was to bring recognition and a pathway for change, the recognition has been achieved. When do we move to the next stages?
I think there are those who have a vision. But, if you were to interview say all NBA players, and ask them what they want, the response would be something like Social Justice. The hard question for them would be what do you see as Social Justice? In other words, you are protesting for it, what would happen to make you say "Mission Accomnplished"? You can't answer with Social Justice has been achieved. What is it specifically that needs to happen? I bet at least 85%-90% would not be able to answer.
And, just a word to the wise, if you are looking to have "the discussion", it would probably be much easier if you didn't offend those you want to have the discussion with.
How about these athletes kneel immediately before the National Anthem, stand for the National Anthem, then kneel again immediately after? Just one suggestion.
But continuing to offend people while protesting for a voice to make things right is not likely to lead to much success.

Reactions: Patriotgame

Agreed. Life has many other interest for me beyond sports. If the players want to play social justice warrior games that’s fine. Good luck with that as fans by the millions say peace out on it all as well. It time for all former sports fans to take their own knee against following, watching, or caring about about any of it.

Systemic racism exists.

Some reading for you: The New Jim Crow, The Color of Law.

Look up the court case against Wells Fargo where they gave higher APRs to minorities with better credit references than whites.

So, are you with the protesters, all for tearing down the system you speak of? Or is the USA "system" worth salvaging? There is no riding the fence here. If you think America is worth salvaging and improving, you are against "the movement" that wants to tear it down. Which side are you on?

I'm for the spirit of the BLM movement, but not for all the violence and destruction that has hijacked so much of the BLM's good intentions.
I'm only with the peaceful protests.....as I was 50-60 years ago during the Civil Rights and anti-war protests.

I'm for the spirit of the BLM movement, but not for all the violence and destruction that has hijacked so much of the BLM's good intentions.
I'm only with the peaceful protests.....as I was 50-60 years ago during the Civil Rights and anti-war protests.

The serious problem is that the BLM has moved from a humble initiative and is now something violent and lawless. That turn of events has turned me off from this movement. News is not worth watching as it’s slanted so far that it cannot be trusted or believed in. Nobody points out that criminals that resist arrest or create a hostile situation from years of drug abuse and living the thug life. I am to point of watching OU games on You Tube.

So, are you with the protesters, all for tearing down the system you speak of? Or is the USA "system" worth salvaging? There is no riding the fence here. If you think America is worth salvaging and improving, you are against "the movement" that wants to tear it down. Which side are you on?

The “movement” is not for tearing it all down, at least not the majority. I am for massive reform. I am 100% behind the protesters who are looking for true equality. I don’t think it’s fair to paint any group of people with broad strokes. There are some out strictly for personal gain. There are some seeking justice and equality. And I’m sure there are others with other motives too. The same can be said for those who don’t support the need for change. Not all are racists. Not all are ignorant.

Reactions: CTOkie
The “movement” is not for tearing it all down, at least not the majority. I am for massive reform. I am 100% behind the protesters who are looking for true equality. I don’t think it’s fair to paint any group of people with broad strokes. There are some out strictly for personal gain. There are some seeking justice and equality. And I’m sure there are others with other motives too. The same can be said for those who don’t support the need for change. Not all are racists. Not all are ignorant.
Would you agree that BLM needs to separate themselves from the violent rioters and looters in order to have a chance to achieve any of the goals?

Would you agree that BLM needs to separate themselves from the violent rioters and looters in order to have a chance to achieve any of the goals?

I don’t think a lot of the ones rioting and looting are BLM supporters. Hell, it was proven that a lot of the instigators of the damage in Minnesota were white.

I think it would help if they denounced the riots and violence. I also am not fully behind the BLM organization - the meaning and the fight for real equality, YES! But the actual org has some philosophical ideologies that I don’t support. I am friends with one of the leaders in Oklahoma and we have had good, honest discussions about it. I think White people need to do a better job of rooting out racism instead of leaving alone until something happens.

I don’t think a lot of the ones rioting and looting are BLM supporters. Hell, it was proven that a lot of the instigators of the damage in Minnesota were white.

I think it would help if they denounced the riots and violence. I also am not fully behind the BLM organization - the meaning and the fight for real equality, YES! But the actual org has some philosophical ideologies that I don’t support. I am friends with one of the leaders in Oklahoma and we have had good, honest discussions about it. I think White people need to do a better job of rooting out racism instead of leaving alone until something happens.
In my opinion, the first thing that has to happen is BLM needs to separate themselves from the violent rioters and looters. Don't understand why they haven't done so. Until they do, again in my opinion, it is normal for people to think "If they won't separate from their violence, they must support it". As you stated, a lot of them are not members of BLM. But, if BLM won't separate from them, they are part of them. The rioters and looters are claiming BLM, so it is up to BLM to take the action, if they want to be heard.

People can protest until the cows come home. It won't bother me a bit. But when they start destroying lives and properties in the named of social justice or any other name, they eventually will met with others that think differently. Kenosha, Wi is just the beginning. A 17 year old boy, the same age as today's recruits made hard choices that he was going to help and assist others. You can discuss whether was right or wrong in his actions, but bottomline, he took out two rioters. Shot them dead when they charged him. And blew the upper arm off another that was armed and chasing him. My point is, Kenosha will not be the last time this happens. The farther these guys go into small town America, the more killing is going to happen. We have no MLK leadership that is vocal against the violence. As a result, we'll kill one another for awhile until a leader steps up. I don't mean to say that you or I will do any killing, but we as in Americans will.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR

If you say there is no systemic racism in the United States, you are either being disingenuous or you have been living under a rock. These black people are not making things up. You are lucky to be white in this society. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06...te-people-still-dont-understand-about-racism/

Reactions: BoomerMatt

If you say there is no systemic racism in the United States, you are either being disingenuous or you have been living under a rock. These black people are not making things up. You are lucky to be white in this society. https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06...te-people-still-dont-understand-about-racism/

I like that our players stand for more then just football. I would never want to make them, one dimensional.

I like hearing about leadership qualities, outside of football. I never heard anyone complain about Huepel, and his roll with leadership of Christan athletes. These issue matter to them and I support their passion.

Let's see--we have Black History Month, a national holiday in honor of a great black leader, black colleges and universities, black networks on TV, black beauty pageants, black clubs and bars, epithets that only black people can use, affirmative action, equal employment opportunity, preferential promotion quotas in civil service and the military, favorable (to put it mildly) college admission standards, and yet any white person who points out any of these things is a racist?

I'm absolutely aware of the brutal injustice and inequality that has happened and sometimes still does. I just don't get why no one dares to mention any of those things I've cited. My "white privilege" consists of having worked my butt off, made good choices, and stayed out of trouble. I've done nothing that anyone my age, regardless of race, couldn't have done under the same circumstances. I came up from generations of lower/lower middle class ancestors of farmers and laborers. I can also see no evidence of anything they got that they didn't earn through their own sweat and sacrifice. In addition to that sacrifice on my behalf, I'm grateful for the examples and family structure they provided. You'll have to excuse me when I'm sometimes less than sympathetic to the current racial narrative with which we are continually pummeled.

Last edited:
There is systemic racism from whites and blacks in America, because people sin, and some of that includes blaming others for their problems. I read the article you posted, and found it superficial, typical of left wing rhetoric (not surprising) and missing many of the important points in the racial problems of America. I share some of the OP's frustration with what's going on in America at the moment, and in recent history.

I've heard a litany of things cited as evidence of why African Americans ought to be angry, and therefore, ought to be free to exercise their anger. I have yet to see anyone on the political left, EVER give any sort of credence to the failure of black leadership in America to talk about the very real issues within black America to do within those communities to fix things that need to be fixed. People like Tony Evans, who pastors a great church in south Dallas, talk about these things regularly. I'm sure there are others. But their voices are drowned out by the anger mongers.

Every liberal discussion about race, between blacks and whites, seems to always focus on what is wrong with whites, and how that is the only solution to black problems in the country. That that is the wrong solution for any problems for any person. We all need friends and especially people in our lives to encourage us to change what we need to change for ourselves. But in race, that never seems to be considered as any part of any solution. I went through more than three years of counseling, futilely trying to fix my 33 year marriage. First thing you learn in the process is this: You can only fix yourself. I really improved personally in that process.

There are plenty of advantages for African Americans in the country. The most obvious, is getting into colleges with lower qualifications. If my son were African American, he could have gotten into just about any great college in the country, with plenty of scholarship help, if he were black or hispanic.

The article you posted, mostly talked about the unfairness of over 150 years ago or 50 years ago, and some recent police shootings of African Americans. But white guys get shot by the police too, when they are disruptive when dealing with the police. It just doesn't show up on liberal news programs. And there is still no evidence that the death of George Floyd had anything to do with race. And that was the "reason" that all the recent rioting started. Assumptions were made because the cop was white, and the man who dies was black. But when the same kinds of assumptions are made in the other direction, they are immediately called out, rightly, for their unfairness. And no matter how anybody is treated, is does not excuse setting fire to business, or homes of innocent people.

This is a very political situation. The President has offered national guard help. Because his political opponents did not what him to have any positive appearance, to participating in helping to get the rioting reduced, that help was rejected in each case. It was rejected for purely political reasons.

There are lots of things about life in America that I am angry about. That does not give me any right to go destroy property. Or to loot stores. Or to put other people in harms way, when they're just trying to live their life. Until the rioting stops, and most African American leaders talk about that with the intent of helping to get it stopped, then blaming white folks is going to fall on mostly deaf ears. And should.

Until there are honest discussions on CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC and other liberal media, that includes talk about what both sides need to do to help the issues of race in America, then those problems are very unlikely to find any real solution. But that would take a miracle to occur. The democrats are not big believers in miracles.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Martin Luther King's message of a peaceful resolution to this country's racism has never achieved any traction. Neither race has ever chosen to truly embrace what he advocated, yet we have erected statues and memorials to King which most of us chose to ignore and/or even feel resentful of.
So much of what is wrong these days is worsened by blaming and hating other races, and this is ignited by fundamental human nature which has always prevented harmony of any kind (race, religion, culture, nationality) between people.
Religion has never been a cure for racism. It fuels racism as much as it condemns racism. I have observed many people throughout my life who use religion as a means to justify their bigotry. I've never understood, even as a child, people being devout church going, God-fearing people, yet living in hatred of non-white races and Jews. I have never understood the mental agility at work here.
Racial harmony is never going to be fully achieved. The quest for it now has been hampered by a population that chooses to rely on media manipulation, the social media, and politicians for "guidance", which now is all about controling us by dividing us.
We have had many historical events, especially within the past 150 years of what fear, ignorance and bigotry can do to destroy us. While these events may not have been in our lifetimes, they need to be studied and remembered. The holocaust of 1933-1945 was the most horrific event in human history. It wasn't just a Jewish tragedy. It was a human tragedy. And it should be a lesson to us now of what hatred and blame can render. We're not learning from this.

The racists can’t help but reveal themselves on this board. OP.. I hope black people demanding equality makes you never look at tv again

The racists can’t help but reveal themselves on this board. OP.. I hope black people demanding equality makes you never look at tv again

Sports was common ground for generations. It was the last bastion of sanity and unity where we could escape to. Now it has been politicized and used as a social justice platform to ridicule, demean and threaten people who did nothing wrong.

How does running off the people who pay for it (like the OP), help your cause?

Get woke. Go broke.

Well since we're hoping... My hope is that eventually the black people that are demanding equality will work just as hard on improving their lives like the millions of other successful non-white people instead just protesting, rioting, & looting. As far as TV, they're too many channels to surf to just never look at TV again.

Reactions: runningback43

Scroll down to the Department Chair Statement.
Gotta remove Whitey Photos as if that is going to fix things. Whats next, is the Athletic Dept going to remove pics of former White Star Players? What about the White Dude Heisman Statues? Surely they must be removed as well.

How about I remove my White Self from supporting OU in the future? Done!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! The only way to quell this crap is for OU to feel it financially and hopefully many more like me stop giving them money. I will not support a University that caves to Marxists.
https://www.ou.edu/cas/psc/department-chair-statement-on-blm-protests

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT