ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just Wondering

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
For new cars sold in Oklahoma, are turn signals considered optional equipment?

Seriously, I've lived all over the country and I've never seen a state whose drivers suck so badly at using their blinkers. Does this bother anyone else or are other Oklahoma drivers just used to it?

Reactions: K2C Sooner

Seriously, I've lived all over the country and I've never seen a state whose drivers suck so badly at using their blinkers. Does this bother anyone else or are other Oklahoma drivers just used to it?

Blinker fluid is a rarity in Oklahoma. You've got to give folks here a brake...

Try Texas. Blinker use is a rarity.

My first lesson at a professional driving school in 1990. You sit at a stop sign planning to turn right.. From the left, a semi truck approaches with right turn signal flashing. What it means. The driver plans to turn right so you may proceed with caution.

You sit at a stop sign planning to turn right. From the left, a light vehicle approaches with right turn signal flashing. What it means. The light vehicle's turn signals work.

I blame that on Hydrocodone abuse...that's right.

Here's a fun fact:
There is as much Hydrocodone use in this state as there is in California...and California has 10 times the population.

Oh, and this one is just off the map...Oklahoma has more Hydrocodone in its possession at any given time than the entire (current) country of Russia.
Chew on that nugget folks!

As an add on, considering all the factoids above, one should consider the turn signal thingy as pretty trivial.
No one crashed and burned you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner

Obviously you've never driven in Atlanta traffic. ATL drivers are the worst and that includes not using turn signals, texting while driving, tailgating, going speed limit or slower in the passing lane, etc., etc., etc.

Obviously you've never driven in Atlanta traffic. ATL drivers are the worst and that includes not using turn signals, texting while driving, tailgating, going speed limit or slower in the passing lane, etc., etc., etc.

Actually, I've driven through Atlanta a number of times and, to me, it's just typical of most large cities. For my money (and I have driven through about 45 of the 50 states), the five worst ones are:

Massachusetts
Maryland/DC
New York
New Jersey
California

Not surprising given the numbers of people who live in those states, the first four are exacerbated by the nasty winter conditions that cover several months of the year. Oklahoma's pretty bad for having a smaller state population based just on things like blinkers, slow drivers in the left lane, etc.

I blame that on Hydrocodone abuse...that's right.

Here's a fun fact:
There is as much Hydrocodone use in this state as there is in California...and California has 10 times the population.

Oh, and this one is just off the map...Oklahoma has more Hydrocodone in its possession at any given time than the entire (current) country of Russia.
Chew on that nugget folks!

As an add on, considering all the factoids above, one should consider the turn signal thingy as pretty trivial.
No one crashed and burned you.
are you down to 4-10 mgs a day yet?...heh

Oh 83, that hurts to the bone...nope, they've (the DEA) made it so difficult to get that I just gave up.
I could've gone to the 'streets' for it I suppose, just don't have the strength.
Never mind that I have five herniated lumbar disc, pain builds character!
At least that was one of my Dads favorite sayings...

Oh 83, that hurts to the bone...nope, they've (the DEA) made it so difficult to get that I just gave up.
I could've gone to the 'streets' for it I suppose, just don't have the strength.
Never mind that I have five herniated lumbar disc, pain builds character!
At least that was one of my Dads favorite sayings...
yeah I don't get it..those with actual high levels of actual pain don't have access, just because the abuse of many and doctors that wrote 3 month scripts and now don't want to hassle with 30 day ones. Take some Tylenol 3 and call me in a month...pfft

Yep WP, (West Point, right?)
My brother lived in Boston for a while. I, I just couldn't believe how they drive there.
Defensive driving? Hell to the no!
I just can't relate to you all in this format how utterly terrified I was riding with my idiot little brother in Boston traffic. He, and they would cling to their 'right of way' to the point of ridiculous absurdity.
Screw physics, dying, the messy aftermath of a seriously tragic accident, if you were in the right you didn't give one damn inch!

That people can live like that, on top of each other, totally bereft of all considerations for one another is something I can't deal with.
But that's just me.
Time to tell the old lady to churn some more butter...we're almost out!

Traffic. I've driven in NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC., Dallas, and Houston. Nothing compares to Athens, Greece.

Got to Athens about 5PM on a Sunday. It went OK until I got to the first rotary. The traffic was stalled. Drivers were sitting on top of their cars talking. One set of drivers was involved in some sort of game. Some kids were playing in between the cars. We didn't move an inch until about 8PM. Fortunately, there were some Greeks that knew a little English and could explain that this was normal.

Had a friend in Athens who was a professor at the University of Athens. The hotel clerk found out I knew someone in Athens and spent all day tracking him down for us. Refused to accept a tip. Thought it was great that we knew someone in Athens. But, he did let us know that it took so long because he was at U. Athens Medical School, not U Athens. Told us our friend would be there to pick us up at 5:00. I looked for his car. Never saw it. Instead, a bus stopped, and he jumped off the bus. Why would someone with a brand new car ride to bus to pick us up and leave his brand new VW at home? We rode to his apartment in a taxi.

Turns out that his wife, whom we also knew, was within a week or so of delivering her first child. They had a parking place within three blocks of their apartment, and they didn't want to give it up while she was pregnant. They wanted to be able to get to the car in a hurry if she went into labor. So, having a parking place, they didn't drive their car in the last month of her pregnancy.

Now, we can talk about traffic and parking problems.

In Port of the cow, Texas... I'm curious as to how many people who are driving even have a Driver's License. Use turn signals? I think there are only 6 cars in town that use them. Most people don't stop for those red octagons on a pole that say "STOP" right on them... Maybe they should read "ALTO" instead?

Yep, one has to believe that a lot of those freaks are pissed off about something entirely other than traffic. Geez,
To have that much hate and contempt for someone you don't know is just nuts.
I do have some street cred on this.
I lived in the Dallas Fort Worth metro for several years in the late sixties, early seventies. I don't remember such hostility, even on the worst days on the LBJ loop or the dreaded Central expressway in Dallas.

Yep WP, (West Point, right?)
My brother lived in Boston for a while. I, I just couldn't believe how they drive there.
Defensive driving? Hell to the no!
I just can't relate to you all in this format how utterly terrified I was riding with my idiot little brother in Boston traffic. He, and they would cling to their 'right of way' to the point of ridiculous absurdity.
Screw physics, dying, the messy aftermath of a seriously tragic accident, if you were in the right you didn't give one damn inch!

That people can live like that, on top of each other, totally bereft of all considerations for one another is something I can't deal with.
But that's just me.
Time to tell the old lady to churn some more butter...we're almost out!

You're right about the WP and about Massachusetts. If there are cars in hell, the traffic will be no different than that in Boston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT