ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I'm finally a resident of Gettysburg...

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
as of December 20th.
My desire to live here started in July of 1960 when my family moved from Houston to New Jersey (a Shell Oil transfer) and my dad decided his sons needed to see Gettysburg. Since then, I've had a lifelong obsession of living here but never really talked about it as I considered it a far-fetched fantasy. It's a dream come true for me.
Our home is 5 miles northeast of Gettysburg, away from the tourists and I can be on Little Round Top from my driveway in less than 15 minutes.
I have visited Gettysburg at least 20 times since 1990 from my home in Connecticut and I never had an easy time leaving.
At 74, this is where I want to stay the rest of my life.

as of December 20th.
My desire to live here started in July of 1960 when my family moved from Houston to New Jersey (a Shell Oil transfer) and my dad decided his sons needed to see Gettysburg. Since then, I've had a lifelong obsession of living here but never really talked about it as I considered it a far-fetched fantasy. It's a dream come true for me.
Our home is 5 miles northeast of Gettysburg, away from the tourists and I can be on Little Round Top from my driveway in less than 15 minutes.
I have visited Gettysburg at least 20 times since 1990 from my home in Connecticut and I never had an easy time leaving.
At 74, this is where I want to stay the rest of my life.
Congratulations, heading in the right direction towards footballs promised land, Norman . We,ll miss having Sooner “kin” back here here in the Waterbury barons.Best always , take care.

Reactions: iasooner2000
CT, you have told us many times that Gettysburg was your dream home town. It’s wonderful to hear that dreams really do come true. Congratulations, CT.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I've done seven or eight battlefield tours but never really considered settling there. One of my favorite duty stations was at the US Army War College in Carlisle. I forget but I think it's about 45 minutes away.

Congratulations on your new home.

I've done seven or eight battlefield tours but never really considered settling there. One of my favorite duty stations was at the US Army War College in Carlisle. I forget but I think it's about 45 minutes away.

Congratulations on your new home.
A bonus for me is having Antietam 80 minutes away. It’s the best preserved Civil War battlefield.

For those of you who haven't been - spring is the time to visit (maybe fly into Pittsburgh - cool city to visit - and drive down from there). The city is lushly landscaped but the whole battlefield and environs are littered with blooming redbuds, especially Little Round Top. Place just has a magical feel that time of year (I just lucked out it was spring when I was there a few years ago). Make sure to pay your respects to Sallie the dog - cool story: http://paheritage.wpengine.com/article/sallie-dog-pennsylvania-volunteers/

For those of you who haven't been - spring is the time to visit (maybe fly into Pittsburgh - cool city to visit - and drive down from there). The city is lushly landscaped but the whole battlefield and environs are littered with blooming redbuds, especially Little Round Top. Place just has a magical feel that time of year (I just lucked out it was spring when I was there a few years ago). Make sure to pay your respects to Sallie the dog - cool story: http://paheritage.wpengine.com/article/sallie-dog-pennsylvania-volunteers/

Little Round Top is closed for rehabilitation until the spring of 2024.
Some long overdue landscaping is being done to create a look as it was 160 years ago and to make it more tourist friendly.
80% of the tourists here visit LRT as it is the most popular site on the battlefield with its overlooking view of the battlefield.

ADVERTISEMENT