ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I went to my gun vault this afternoon and took out 2 vintage 1911s. This is my 2nd Thanksgiving.

Wufee

Sooner starter
Dec 12, 2001
without my pops. He and his 4 brothers all served in WWII , at the same time and all 5 made it back home.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, he's been weighing heavily on my mind. So what do these magnificent old weapons have to do with my pops? I'll try to explain. First the weapons are a Colt 1911 1a, mfg in 1918 and the second is a Springfield 1911, mfg in 1914. My Dad bought the Springfield for me about 8 years ago. It's one of my most treasured possessions. Over the years, I've acquired several WWI and WWII weapons (mostly for his benefit) , because he truly loved holding those old pieces and discussing them with me. Even now, I can remember our many visits, when there might occur a pause in our conversation and I would look at his ancient face and peer into his clear brown eyes, as he was gazing off into space. I would think to myself, "old Father, what distant place have you journeyed to, at this very moment? Are you reliving old battles? Are you remembering the poverty and hardship of your youth? Maybe remembering the days when you were young and full of a young mans strength and energy? Enjoy your memories, old Dad." Then, with a small smile, that seemed to take the wrinkles and seams out of his old,honorable face, he returned to our conversation. Those were precious times.

So this afternoon, I took out these old weapons and held them. with tears in my eyes, remembering the days, when an old warrior, held these very same treasures and we shared fellowship and love for each other.

As Thanksgiving 2015 arrives, it occurs to me that I'm a man who has received blessing beyond my greatest dreams.......... But, I really miss my dear, old Pops .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.