ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Has anyone seen the movie Dunkirk yet ?

I'm still waiting for a really good Civil War movie....say a remake of "The Red Badge of Courage", using black and white film, smaller reenactors (or women) instead of the overweight ones used in "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" (average size of a man back then was 5'7" 145 lbs), and using Band of Brothers-The Pacific type combat scenes. "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" had some good moments, but there were too many Ted Turner "fingerprints" in them.
"Glory" was okay and I liked it more than the other two.
The movie "Cold Mountain" had a great scene at the beginning of the Battle of the Crater fought in 1864 during the siege of Petersburg.
Wish I had Ron Howard's phone number.

I'm still waiting for a really good Civil War movie....say a remake of "The Red Badge of Courage", using black and white film, smaller reenactors (or women) instead of the overweight ones used in "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" (average size of a man back then was 5'7" 145 lbs), and using Band of Brothers-The Pacific type combat scenes. "Gettysburg" and "Gods and Generals" had some good moments, but there were too many Ted Turner "fingerprints" in them.
"Glory" was okay and I liked it more than the other two.
The movie "Cold Mountain" had a great scene at the beginning of the Battle of the Crater fought in 1864 during the siege of Petersburg.
Wish I had Ron Howard's phone number.
Rumor has it that Spielberg has a Civil War historically correct time piece in the works. Reported to be along the lines of Amistad. He has a slate of movies on his plate now..."The Post" with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep and "The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara" with Mark Rylance & Oscar Issac. The issue is that these types of movies are not considered grand slam box office draws and takes on a different tone with financiers.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT