ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Easter weekend

I guess the times are definitely changing: I looked earlier and believe this is the first time in my life that one of the three major networks (CBS I think usually) did not air the Ten Commandments on Easter
Update, apparently this year ABC aired the classic on Saturday 4/3. Strange but true

Last edited:
I guess the times are definitely changing: I looked earlier and believe this is the first time in my life that one of the three major networks (CBS I think usually) did not air the Ten Commandments on Easter
Update, apparently this year ABC aired the classic on Saturday 4/3. Strange but true
I made the same observation to my wife. Who, by the way, had no idea what I was talking about in old biblical movies. The Robe, Ben-Hur, Barrabas, Ten Commandments, Quo Vadis, etc.

Reactions: iasooner2000
TCM aired Barrabas and King of Kings yesterday afternoon and last night; I had never seen the first which is rated higher than the second. Both have interesting characters and qualities.

Last edited:
Was that the Barrabus version with Anthony Quinn? If so, I saw that when I was a preteen. The one of those great old classics I love the most was Ben-Hur. Lew Wallace, who wrote the book, was an atheist who set out to prove that Christianity was not true, and ended up becoming a believer instead, who wrote this great book of fiction, that everybody loved, long before there were such a thing as movies. 1880.

I tried to watch the more recent version yesterday, and it about put me to sleep. A lot of fun was made of Charlton Heston's lack of acting ability. But he was the lead in the movie that won the most Oscars ever, and he was great in the role. The more recent version actually made the first 30 minutes so boring, that I changed channels. Hard to make Ben-Hur boring, but they did.

Was that the Barrabus version with Anthony Quinn? If so, I saw that when I was a preteen. The one of those great old classics I love the most was Ben-Hur. Lew Wallace, who wrote the book, was an atheist who set out to prove that Christianity was not true, and ended up becoming a believer instead, who wrote this great book of fiction, that everybody loved, long before there were such a thing as movies. 1880.

I tried to watch the more recent version yesterday, and it about put me to sleep. A lot of fun was made of Charlton Heston's lack of acting ability. But he was the lead in the movie that won the most Oscars ever, and he was great in the role. The more recent version actually made the first 30 minutes so boring, that I changed channels. Hard to make Ben-Hur boring, but they did.
Wallace was also the Governor of New Mexico before it became a state.

Yes to the Anthony Quinn version of Barrabus. I caught about the last 45 minutes after lunch/dinner only though. Good stuff

Wallace was also the Governor of New Mexico before it became a state.
I read that on Wiki after I looked up his profile there. He was a general during the Civil War I believe. A man with an honest heart, to seek to prove something, then when the evidence was a 180 from what he was expecting, went full bore where it took him. My own coming to believe wasn't as dramatic as his, but I understand. God did it for me, the night before Easter in 1977. Changed my life.

ADVERTISEMENT