ADVERTISEMENT

OT - apt. fire 4/29

kcstorm06

Sooner starter
Aug 31, 2006
Overland Park KS
Our downstairs neighbor had a serious fire (gutted the apt,) Our apt. was directly above the fire and we received major smoke/soot damage and water damage as they contained a fire that had moved into the attic space. Much of our furniture was ruined, and our apt. is unlivable.

Has anyone else had an apt. fire to deal with before? We are certainly unsure of the next steps. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: iasooner2000
Our downstairs neighbor had a serious fire (gutted the apt,) Our apt. was directly above the fire and we received major smoke/soot damage and water damage as they contained a fire that had moved into the attic space. Much of our furniture was ruined, and our apt. is unlivable.

Has anyone else had an apt. fire to deal with before? We are certainly unsure of the next steps. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Do you have renter's insurance?

Sorry to hear about this, agree about the insurance question.

Reactions: iasooner2000
My Dad says this goes against the tenant down below insurance or apt. complex. An electrical source of fire.
If you have renter’s insurance, your insurer will likely cover your loss and then subrogate the losses with the party that it determines may be libel for the loss. In any event, your insurer should pay for the damage. If they recover the losses paid to you from the third party insurer, you will be reimbursed any loss deductible you incurred.

Were you or anyone else injured at all ? Those expenses should be covered by their insurance too (I believe)

Last edited:
Reactions: Belldozer1
My wife was returning from grocery shopping, and I was storm chasing out west of Topeka. The gal across the hall and her dog were rescued from the balcony as the fire got worse downstairs. The one apartment on ground floor, the resident and her cat headed off away from the scene. The gal directly below us lost everything in the fire. She had just left for a grocery trip. Then minutes later there were some loud pops (electrical). Smoke poured from her apt. into the stairwell as the fire intensified and tried to build up to our balcony and into the overhang. It did on one side, but fire crews got to it quick. We got heavy smoke and water damage in the main front room, and smoke damage in the 2 bedrooms. No injuries and all pets ok even with smoke inhalation.

My wife was returning from grocery shopping, and I was storm chasing out west of Topeka. The gal across the hall and her dog were rescued from the balcony as the fire got worse downstairs. The one apartment on ground floor, the resident and her cat headed off away from the scene. The gal directly below us lost everything in the fire. She had just left for a grocery trip. Then minutes later there were some loud pops (electrical). Smoke poured from her apt. into the stairwell as the fire intensified and tried to build up to our balcony and into the overhang. It did on one side, but fire crews got to it quick. We got heavy smoke and water damage in the main front room, and smoke damage in the 2 bedrooms. No injuries and all pets ok even with smoke inhalation.
Not to change the subject but since you mentioned storm chasing, I saw the article about the 3 storm chasers from OK. Killed the other day. Truly awful. Be careful out there

Not to change the subject but since you mentioned storm chasing, I saw the article about the 3 storm chasers from OK. Killed the other day. Truly awful. Be careful out there

Yes they sadly hydroplanes on way back from chasing the Andover KS EF3. Always seem to be more hazards around other than the tornado. Fortunately for many violent tornadoes are pretty rare.

ADVERTISEMENT