ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Another life-perspective post

kjfreeze

Sooner starter
Jan 17, 2005
Thanks in advance for letting me share with you some thoughts of mine as this football season gets kicked off.

Football can dictate my mood. If OU loses, I get pissed off at the world. The Rose Bowl is the latest example. I haven’t watched a rerun of the game and never will because it will dictate my mood. But just the other day, my focus and love for the game has once-again been dampened because I was reminded about the realities of life. In light of this moment, I simply cannot and will not take it as seriously as I used to and I certainly cannot and will not let it overpower me and dictate my mood like it used to.

Heck, it’s not just football but many other things, like road rage. I swear I let a dozen drivers a day get me pissed off because of their stupidity. So many things in life that disrupt my intentions can put me in a bad mood. I can get angry easily at the stupidity of people.

But…

What happened the other day that brought back the reality of life’s perspectives is that a long-time patient of mine came to my office with tears in his eyes. He told me he has recently been diagnosed with ALS. As soon as he told me that the finality of life entered that room. We both know what lies ahead for him. He has already started feeling the affects of ALS in his shoulders and arms. He’s unable to even lift them over his head. He had to quit his job as a crane operator and has applied for disability. We hugged. He let go of his tears and wept. The events soon to come will be very hard for him and his family. So, for him, football has taken a back seat. He now looks at his wife and son and life itself differently. He sees them knowing he will soon not be alive, so he tries to grab every moment and hold on to it.

When death has been given to you it will change your mindset. The littlest of things that used to be important are no longer a priority but the littlest of things also become a priority. What matters in life becomes a whole different perspective of life.

Life is a precious gift that is constantly being abused by us.

Once again, this event has made me appreciate every single day God gives me here on this earth. Whether you believe in God or not, love life, love family, love football, love food, love the great outdoors, love people. Give thanks for every single beat of your heart and breath of air going inside your lungs. Appreciate a good bowel movement. Laugh when you miss the toilet when you pee with a hard on. Love the blessings of good fortune and the struggles of financial burdens that can bring about an inner strength and closeness to God and your family. Just be at peace Sooner brothers and live life to the fullest and lets enjoy this season of Sooner football without Baker and having Kyler at the helm. Sorry @pinnaclesw

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.