ADVERTISEMENT

OSU at OU

Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops might be ahead of Gasso.
MIGHT is the operative word in your text. Let's be realistic. In her field, Gasso is better than Bud, Berry & Bob. She has more trophies and more championships and faced pretty talented competition in her achievements. She has the national reputation now that eases her recruiting efforts. The greater Phoenix area has very good softball programs in and out of high school. OU/Patty gets much attention in the Valley of the Sun.

MIGHT is the operative word in your text. Let's be realistic. In her field, Gasso is better than Bud, Berry & Bob. She has more trophies and more championships and faced pretty talented competition in her achievements. She has the national reputation now that eases her recruiting efforts. The greater Phoenix area has very good softball programs in and out of high school. OU/Patty gets much attention in the Valley of the Sun.
Son of a bitch, yer right on my man. But, they're all on the same level of excellence imo. OUr program has been blessed. 👍

“In her field”, Gasso surpasses every OU coach from football on down with her 5 championships and winning record.
That said, since OU is predominantly a football factory, Gasso’s records against the seven football championships by three coaches will likely be less regarded through no fault of her own.
This softball team is fun to watch and makes for a nice offseason in football. Gasso loses some big stars next year but her teams will always be championship caliber.

In a different....but not lesser....sport, she certainly is.
Lesser sport is purely an opinion. By what measure is softball a lesser sport than football? By competition, number of games in a season, odds of losing, odds of winning, play offs? Baseball/softball is considered a very individually difficult sport. It combines the individual skill challenges of golf and pairs it with team skills like basketball (both sexes being considered here). The speed of the game with regards to hand/eye reflexes is unique. I beg to differ with you on "lesser".

Gasso has won the regular season Big 12 the last 10 years. If she wins the Natty this year that means she has won a National Championship in 5 of those 10 years. Nothing or no one compares to that statistic at OU. Not Bud, Barry or Bob. They have won 7 in something like 65 years or so.

Lesser sport is purely an opinion. By what measure is softball a lesser sport than football? By competition, number of games in a season, odds of losing, odds of winning, play offs? Baseball/softball is considered a very individually difficult sport. It combines the individual skill challenges of golf and pairs it with team skills like basketball (both sexes being considered here). The speed of the game with regards to hand/eye reflexes is unique. I beg to differ with you on "lesser".

Gasso has won the regular season Big 12 the last 10 years. If she wins the Natty this year that means she has won a National Championship in 5 of those 10 years. Nothing or no one compares to that statistic at OU. Not Bud, Barry or Bob. They have won 7 in something like 65 years or so.
Read what I said again.
I did not refer to softball as a lesser sport. I said it was NOT a lesser sport. You have no need to " beg".

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I thought for sure the umps were going to take a tv look at Alo's grand slam. I thought the kid that caught it might get called for interference. Upon a few looks the fielders glove was a good 2' from the kids. Whew!!

Reactions: iasooner2000
I don't know how we'd ever find out if Bull had moved on, though I talked to him on the phone, I'd guess six months ago. Haven't seen him post anywhere recently. He was a Sooner homer in the best since, and we both appreciated each other. We got to be great posting buds back in 1999. He so valued my old stories about the inside of Sooner football from my 4 years as a manager, and just a memory of Sooner football dating back to 1961, that when OU won the 2000 football natty, he got my address and mailed my two t-shirts that commemorated the 2000 season. They're a bit holey now, but I still have them and sleep in them when the weather is warm. One is not long for the world. He'd call me on the phone just to talk, out of the blue maybe twice a year and we'd talk for over an hour. But the only time we've talked in the last year, was when I called him out of the blue.

He's very private, and never wanted to meet anyone from the board, and when we talked last, he let me know he wasn't feeling well, but without detail. I just hope he's still hanging in there. He left the pay board long ago, after being treated horribly there. And I can't remember the last time I saw him post here. Given this thread, I may try to call him this week and see if we can connect. He's a little quirky, in the way all of us who are great fans of anything might be occasionally, but one of the greatest Sooner fans on this board ever. I always enjoy our communication.

Bullmarket (David) and I (Dubai Sooner) became much better acquainted in his quest to help a few members when they were facing terminal illness. David raised money for "Frank Fangston" and his wife. It was a very dire situation that completely consumed him until he was satisfied with the results. I was happy to help Bullmarket under the circumstances. I will never whisper a cross word about Bullmarket's over-the-top Sooner rants and raves.

If anyone makes contact please give him my regards.

ADVERTISEMENT