ADVERTISEMENT

Opposing Big 12 Coach's preseason review of OU (Athlon)

soonersoldier

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
They’re the most talented team in the league, by far. The QB [Spencer Rattler] made his mistakes early on; you could rattle him early in the season, and he wasn’t completely comfortable in that system. He got better down the stretch with his decision-making and looked a lot calmer. The thing is, their offensive skill is at such a level where they can bail him out. They have legit scoring threats across the field on every play. The line is really well coached. Everything that offense does is built on the counter-trey, GT-counter, whatever you want to call it. It’s a system where everyone is in sync, and they’ve got lethal dudes who can make plays. ... One of the biggest changes in this league has been the evolution of their defense under Lincoln Riley. Alex Grinch does a lot of stuff up front, stunts, twists and movement that cause you issues. They give you a lot of looks. The [Perrion] Winfrey kid, the inside DL, he was an absolute monster to handle. Their ends ar egreat. They were OK at safety and corner. If there’s an area to exploit it was probably there. But on the whole, this defense has really improved while keeping everything rolling on offense. ... I think you pencil them in as a national contender if they can bring along the QB this year. This is the most complete program in the Big 12.”

Nice. Personally, I've never really felt Rattler was a weak link last year or heading into this year. Riley pulled him in the Texas game which appears to have been a good move but at the time I was cussing Riley wondering why he never pulled Hurts after one of his many horrible decisions while playing QB for us. I'm a little apprehensive about proven talent at wr. I know there is talent there and I know Hazelwood was hurt last year and is still healing up but in the spring game he got absolutely no separation even on the circus catch he made. Mims is good but outside of him someone needs to really step up. On defense i think we're going to be pretty dang good, hoping Thomas is good to go. Just my .02

Last edited:
Nice. Personally, I've never really felt Rattler was a weak link last year or heading into this year. Riley pulled him in the Texas game which appears to have been a good move but at the time I was cussing Riley wondering why he never pulled Hurts after one of his many horrible decisions while playing QB for us. I'm a little apprehensive about proven talent at wr. I know there is talent there and I know Hazelton was hurt last year and is still healing up but in the spring game he got absolutely no separation even on the circus catch he made. Mims is good but outside of him someone needs to really step up. On defense i think we're going to be pretty dang good, hoping Thomas is good to go. Just my .02
Agreed on your concerns with JH. Hoping he is fully recovered from injury improving his separation ability. I also think a healthy Stogner and more time on the playbook for M. Henderson will translate into more firepower. I am convinced, from what I have read, that freshman Mario Williams will be dynamic with the ball in his hands. If that is correct, he and Mims will be a difficult duo when on the field at the same time! Running backs will be a rotation (again), but I think the transfer from Tennessee might stand out.

OL is the unit I'm most concerned with. That is, the one that might keep us from NC contention. IF the O-line can play at a high level, the entire Offense will be back to the near-unstoppable level of Mayfield's second or third year. We have Riley after all.

I also think the defense will be a little better than last year, thus giving us our best chance at a NC since the year Stoops and J. White lost to LSU.

Have to think we'll win the big XII again (for a sick seventh straight CC, correct?), and kick Texas's @ss all over the field, which will make for a successful year, regardless of the BCS outcome.

Still might be a year away from a Natty, but we have a puncher's chance this season, unlike the last several years, when our D just wasn't good enough (edit, it might possibly have been good enough last year, but the O was lagging a little in SR's first campaign).

Last edited:
The six WR's are Mims, Hasselwood, Stoops, Wease and freshmen Cody Jackson and Mario Williams with Darby and 2-3 walk-ons who showed well in the spring game. Plus, Billy Bowman could be a swing man playing both ways.
I don't see this team as a national championship contender at this time and the jury is still out on the offensive line and the much improved defense that has not been tested against the truly elite teams. An easy non-conference schedule should help getting the team straightened out to some degree, but until OU stops getting ambushed every year lesser teams and getting clobbered by teams of equal or better talent in the playoffs, I'm holding off on judging this team in the middle of summer. After 21 seasons since the last championship, I'm done drinking the Kool Aid hype that this team gets every year.

Agreed on your concerns with JH. Hoping he is fully recovered from injury improving his separation ability. I also think a healthy Stogner and more time on the playbook for M. Henderson will translate into more firepower. I am convinced, from what I have read, that freshman Mario Williams will be dynamic with the ball in his hands. If that is correct, he and Mims will be a difficult duo when on the field at the same time! Running backs will be a rotation (again), but I think the transfer from Tennessee might stand out.
There’s rumors floating around that you might want to tap the brakes on that one a bit.

I'm in the minority, but I'm still not totally sold on the defense, despite all the returners. The defense was great after Perkins started suiting up, but even the playmakers we have, still didn't get great performance without Perk. I really hope a true difference maker shows up, that wrecks an offense unless he's double teamed. I don't see that guy, yet.

I am, however, hopeful.

The six WR's are Mims, Hasselwood, Stoops, Wease and freshmen Cody Jackson and Mario Williams with Darby and 2-3 walk-ons who showed well in the spring game. Plus, Billy Bowman could be a swing man playing both ways.
I don't see this team as a national championship contender at this time and the jury is still out on the offensive line and the much improved defense that has not been tested against the truly elite teams. An easy non-conference schedule should help getting the team straightened out to some degree, but until OU stops getting ambushed every year lesser teams and getting clobbered by teams of equal or better talent in the playoffs, I'm holding off on judging this team in the middle of summer. After 21 seasons since the last championship, I'm done drinking the Kool Aid hype that this team gets every year.
Just a sip. 😁

Reactions: LikeClicker3000
I think momentum has been building to this season. There are still question marks, the offensive line and secondary. But even a bad Bedenbaugh OL is still pretty good, and it's not a talent issue. The secondary needs Graham and Washington play to their potential. I have more confidence in that than Pat Fields being more than serviceable and DTY not having peaked. But these aren't debilitating issues.

Rattler is worthy of the hype and the weapons around him are as talented as I' can recall. Wease is being underrated because guys like Mims, Williams and Haselwood have so much potential. Brooks is also another undervalued piece returning. He didn't have the flare of Stevenson, but this is the same guy that started above Rhamondre and Sermon, and eclipsed 1k yards each of his previous seasons. Add in Hall, Stogner, Gray, and about 3 other freshman and RS freshman who could push for time and we can reasonably conclude that, as usual, Riley's offense will do their part or more.

Defensively, there is still a lot to prove, but we have pieces that we have lacked for many seasons. It starts up front with Winfrey imo. We haven't had a beast in the middle like this kid in over a decade. Yes Thomas, Redmond and Bonito will get the stats and are pivotal pieces, but Winfrey can do things they can't. The linebackers are deep and experienced.

And very importantly, the big dogs are replacing quarterbacks, as well as a shit ton of guys off to the draft. If there were a season for it to come together, this is it.

ADVERTISEMENT