ADVERTISEMENT

One More Sobering Thought on the 2023 OC Hire

Indy_Sooner22

Gold Member
Nov 28, 2021
I will preface this by saying OU absolutely should’ve held a serious national search for a new OC once Lebby left last winter. At this point I don’t think anyone is arguing otherwise.

However, I think an argument can be made that BV didn’t even retain/elevate the right internal OC from the 2023 staff….

Matt Wells was hired as the Co-OC/QB coach at K State. I’m not saying Wells would’ve been the answer….BUT….their offense is ranked in the mid 40s nationally, they’ve scored at least 30 every game except one stinker against BYU, and they seemingly have built around Johnson’s strengths at QB.

This OU team would be a top 15, 8-4 caliber team with an offense ranked in the 40s. I know it isn’t apples to oranges (Big12 vs SEC), but I do think there’s a legitimate argument we didn’t even hire the right OC from our own staff. That is….something…..

Maybe KState lays an egg here tonight and this post looks stupid, but that was another thought that crossed my mind tonight regarding just how badly this entire situation has been botched.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.