ADVERTISEMENT

On the same day, USC loses their coach and USC loses their coach.

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
How many times in history have two coaches at big time colleges lose their coaches on a Monday in October?

I'm guessing never.

I suspect that the recruitment of Jadeveon Clowney added five years to Spurrier's career. But now he's 0-4 in SEC play and at 70, will let somebody else worry about the last six games.

And as they sort something out at USC west, some think that Pat will the next to go. Maybe Matt Leinart could be convinced to take the job.

He apparently decided to walk away. After practice tonight, he notified the powers at USC east that he was leaving immediately. They will announce who the interim HC is Tuesday morning. I'll bet Bob is a little distracted the next day or so.

I suspect that the recruitment of Jadeveon Clowney added five years to Spurrier's career.

That's more accurate than you think. Back in 2009, they had just lost a bowl game to Connecticut and I think went 7-6 (although they did beat Clemson). After the game, Spurrier made a comment something to the effect, "If it doesn't get better in the next couple of years, it's time to give somebody else a chance." Of course, the next year they won the East and the rest is history.

That's more accurate than you think. Back in 2009, they had just lost a bowl game to Connecticut and I think went 7-6 (although they did beat Clemson). After the game, Spurrier made a comment something to the effect, "If it doesn't get better in the next couple of years, it's time to give somebody else a chance." Of course, the next year they won the East and the rest is history.

I meant it. Except when Bob was his DC, Spurrier's teams were known for multiple quarterbacks, and mediocre defense most of the time. Clowney gave them an unblockable defender who occupied two blockers and still made plays. Not hard to be pretty good on defense when you have a guy that dominant. They never could get over the hump of beating the West.

But going 11-2 Clowney's three seasons there gave them serious credibility and it was fun for Steve again. Meanwhile he showed he could run an offense that emphasized running it over throwing it, pretty much a requirement to keep your SEC membership card.

I think he'd have left four years ago if he hadn't signed Clowney and had 33-6 combined for the three years he was there. But they never did win the East. All three 11-2's included two conference losses and they never made it to the CCG. But all three years, they beat the team from the East who did make it. In fact, in 2011.

Clowney's first year, they swept the East opponents, but lost both games against the West and with two losses, finished behind Georgia The Bulldogs got to play the two Mississippi schools whose combined regular season record was 8-16. USC east played Auburn and Arkansas, whose combined record was 19-7. UGa won both, USC east lost both and that was the difference. They both beat everybody else in the East.

It just quit being fun for Steve after that. I'm a bit surprised he left in the middle of the year, but he's 70, and I guess he's earned the right to do the unusual, even if it seems a little selfish.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT