ADVERTISEMENT

OL Demetrius Hunter 4-star commits to OU

I hear you. I hope we have a decent showing in the draft with Perkins and our corner(s). That may help. Regardless, it is clear Grinch and co. are making improvements. I hope recruits take notice.

Grinch will prove himself, if he keeps 5 Star Gentry Williams from leaving Oklahoma. If another great Tulsa area DB leaves the state. That will tell me a lot about Grinch.

Grinch will prove himself, if he keeps 5 Star Gentry Williams from leaving Oklahoma. If another great Tulsa area DB leaves the state. That will tell me a lot about Grinch.
We are up against Corey Raymond at LSU. He has a very good resume of putting D backfield in the pros. Let's hope proximity plays a bigger part. He grew up a big OU fan.

Heck, I guess I never paid much attention to centers recruits much, but, has there ever been a 5 star center?
I'm not sure about 5* centers. I get most of my recruiting news from you chaps or the football fans on my street. Mostly ASU, U of A and USC alums. We hold our weekly covid parties on Friday at 5 pm in a rotating driveways to fix all the problems of the world. College football, past, present & future gets much attention. I will ask about 5* centers.

OU has Andrew Raym who the coaches are raving about and he's been discussed in playing center.
My guess is that he sees time at center behind Murray, the UCLA transfer, or plays guard. I hope he wins the starting job at center.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Heck, I guess I never paid much attention to centers recruits much, but, has there ever been a 5 star center?

You got me thinking, "who's the best center I can think of in recent years?" I looked up Travis Frederick's Rivals page. Offensive Tackle, #85 at the position, #5 in the state, 4 offers. Ended up arguably the best center in the NFL over the past decade.

OU has Andrew Raym who the coaches are raving about and he's been discussed in playing center.
My guess is that he sees time at center behind Murray, the UCLA transfer, or plays guard. I hope he wins the starting job at center.
Raym's a ****ing pit bull, Kelly Gregg like. Imo

Reactions: kcstorm06
You got me thinking, "who's the best center I can think of in recent years?" I looked up Travis Frederick's Rivals page. Offensive Tackle, #85 at the position, #5 in the state, 4 offers. Ended up arguably the best center in the NFL over the past decade.
Unsung heros who's stats and acclaim aren't glorified by the press. These kinda kids work their way up from the bottom (late round draft picks) and end up with some of the longest careers at the most brutal positions along the line, where the shit starts and gets down imo.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Mike Webster of Steeler's lore, greatest center to play the game was a fifth round draft pick and played 16 seasons during the 70s and 80s. Jeff Saturday, I'd rank 2nd, in terms of domination and longevity, Peyton's center with the Colts during their most successful run was undrafted.

Reactions: soonersoldier
without a doubt
Nebraska’s Rich Glover had a career game against OU in the 1971 game and won his individual match with Brahaney, but I still believe Brahaney was OU’s best center ever.
Nebraska contained OU’s wishbone that day, especially OU’s outside run game.
OU lost three fumbles and Johnny Rodgers’ punt return, which was aided by a block from behind that was not flagged, also factored in to OU’s loss.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Nebraska’s Rich Glover had a career game against OU in the 1971 game and won his individual match with Brahaney, but I still believe Brahaney was OU’s best center ever.
Nebraska contained OU’s wishbone that day, especially OU’s outside run game.
OU lost three fumbles and Johnny Rodgers’ punt return, which was aided by a block from behind that was not flagged, also factored in to OU’s loss.
Game of the century. I was a bit young 3 maybe. My first recollection of Sooner football was of Bob Barry hollerin Sooners games over the radio when Steve, Leroy, Rod and Silver shoes were dominating the country. Nothin like hearing the game on radio as Barry give it. Sure do miss the Nebraska rivalry. During the 70s, 80s, 90s, that was the game that kept the house quiet and you on the edge of yer seat as I remember.

As much as OU dominated Nebraska in the decade of the 1970's, going 7-3, two of the losses in 1971 and 1978 cost OU possible national championships (pending bowl game results).
Make that 3 championships coughed up if you figure in OU's no-show against Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl following the 1977 season. Switzer's revenge game against Arkansas in the 1986 Orange Bowl in which he ran an end-around by TE Duncan Parham with less than 2 minutes to play for OU's final score did little to avenge that 1986 Arkansas meltdown. as far as I'm concerned. OU 42 Arkansas 8.

Reactions: iasooner2000
As much as OU dominated Nebraska in the decade of the 1970's, going 7-3, two of the losses in 1971 and 1978 cost OU possible national championships (pending bowl game results).
Make that 3 championships coughed up if you figure in OU's no-show against Arkansas in the 1978 Orange Bowl following the 1977 season. Switzer's revenge game against Arkansas in the 1986 Orange Bowl in which he ran an end-around by TE Duncan Parham with less than 2 minutes to play for OU's final score did little to avenge that 1986 Arkansas meltdown. as far as I'm concerned. OU 42 Arkansas 8.
'78 and '05 Orange bowls are still stuck in my craw to this day. Goddam almighty! OUr 2004 squad was STACKED, I MEAN "STACKED".

Last edited:
Reactions: kcstorm06
ADVERTISEMENT