ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma 3rd Most Valuable College Football Program

JConXtsy

Sooner starter
Aug 2, 2001
Sorry, requires subscription.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-mu...otball-team-worth-1506000030?tesla=y&mod=e2fb

Oklahoma at $1.24B
Ohio State #1 at $1.5B

I was surprised they were this much, because I believe I heard similar results for NFL teams earlier this week. It was on the radio though. I believe they said the average NFL team is in the $2B range and the Cowboys are the most valuable sports team in the world (any sport) at just under $5B.

So these college teams are almost as valuable as some of these NFL teams?

The NFL salary cap is $167M.

Simple math says that if an average NFL team is worth $2B and is paying players $167M, then scaling for a good college team worth $1B, colleges are then robbing their players of around $80M/yr.
That's about $1M/player, or $4M/starter.

Reactions: iasooner1
NFL football teams don't have to pay for their cities women's volley ball, gymnastics, tennis and all the other sports that don't turn a profit either.

Good point. Still pretty surprising that college teams can be about 1/2 as valuable as NFL teams. There's probably a much steeper curve though.

32 NFL teams
128 NCAA D1 teams

NFL ticket prices are generally higher.
I'm sure NFL TV revenues are generally higher.
More NFL games especially with the longer playoffs and preseason games 20-21 games vs 12-13 college. Possibly 25 games for an NFL Super Bowl team with 5 preseason games. A college national championship contender is only looking at 15 games tops.

In my experience, far more people are NFL fans than college fans. I come across people every day that are die-hard NFL fans and couldn't care less about college. It's not often that vice versa occurs.

Actually, NFL attendance is dropping while CFB is rising. I saw a FB post last week that showed that the attendance between the two NFL games in LA last week combined did not have as large of attendance as the USC / TX game.

Well, college stadiums are generally larger than NFL stadiums.

Most L.A. natives are Raiders fans. That makes them natural Charger haters.

I believe the Chargers are also playing in the Galaxy soccer stadium too. No enticement to go.

The Rams blow. Colosseum was packed early last year, but people are tired of watching them lose already. L.A. sports fans are SUPER fickle out here. Way too many other distractions if your sports team ain't winning. Just look at the Lakers. One of the most storied teams, and you could get tix this year to see them for free.

I endured some shitty Mavs years, but no way could one ever find free tix from a stranger.

Reactions: iasooner1
Ron "The Hedgehog" Jeremy?
GROSSSSSSSSSSS. No!

This kind of hedgehog...
cute-hedgehogs-in-hats-58909ea617280__700.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT