ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I have seen enough....

Nov 14, 2011
Bella Vista, AR
I have been a Sooner fan since 1968. Been through the good times and the bad times. But these are the worst times. I cannot deal with Mike Stoops any longer. Done and done until that clown is gone.

Reactions: td71sooner
I don't like him either, but there is no way I can give up watching the Sooners on Saturday. In spite of what we feel about the defensive coordinator I think we owe it to these young men that have chosen to play football for our favorite team the support that they need.

Whatever. Army ran over this D. Baylor ran over this D. Today we watched a 1980’s offense obliterate our D. WV will crush this D in a few weeks. Our defense is the most poorly coached and undisciplined group I’ve seen at OU in 30 years. They are checked out and done.

Mike Stoops is the white elephant in the room and his team is in deep trouble. AND BTW we all support these fine young men. But their DC is horrendous and if you don’t think they all know it your crazy. These kids are begging for us to publicly ask that M Stoops be canned! They’ve all lost faith in him and are needing us to influence the firing to oust him and bring in someone with a clue who isn’t chasing tail around campus.

You want Stoops canned in the middle of the year? That isn't going to happen and shouldn't. That won't solve any issues right now and would make the program look unstable and bad. Now next year? I hope he is gone........meaning he will probably have to man up and quit.

You want Stoops canned in the middle of the year? That isn't going to happen and shouldn't. That won't solve any issues right now and would make the program look unstable and bad.
No, continuing down a path of historically bad performance and doing nothing about is not helping in any way. There is at least one other on the D staff with DC experience. If there’s any chance of salvaging this season, can Mike now, take advantage of the Bye and let whoever takes over have 2 weeks to make some changes, maybe, just maybe we can win out.

Keeping Stoops in through the end of the year does what good exactly?

No, continuing down a path of historically bad performance and doing nothing about is not helping in any way. There is at least one other on the D staff with DC experience. If there’s any chance of salvaging this season, can Mike now, take advantage of the Bye and let whoever takes over have 2 weeks to make some changes, maybe, just maybe we can win out.

Keeping Stoops in through the end of the year does what good exactly?

Recruiting is all I got. We'll lose this class and most likely next year's class if he's fired now. But having said this, I really don't care as MS has recruited the players that fill out the defensive roster. Adding more of the same isn't going to help.

Reactions: yubnolck
You want Stoops canned in the middle of the year? That isn't going to happen and shouldn't. That won't solve any issues right now and would make the program look unstable and bad. Now next year? I hope he is gone........meaning he will probably have to man up and quit.
At this point, I really don't care if firing MS this week or tomorrow is the wrong thing to do, the disrespectful thing to do, or the classless thing to do. Whats wrong, disrespectful and classless is him drawing a 1mil/year salary for what we saw yesterday. Up till yesterday I really still was wanting to hope the defense would turn a corner this year and we would be pleasantly surprised by the end of the year. But it's the same crap. For Mike to salvage has job in my mind, OUs defense better become just brutally dominant in every single game the rest of the season. That's really the only way to make up for that trash we saw yesterday. I was at the game and it was just painful and embarrassing.

Think Buzzy Bolton has seen enough too. Walked out...certainly frustration related. When you have a stubborn dolt for a coach...certainly will be some deep questioning by players made to look bad in horrible defensive alignments.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Recruiting is all I got. We'll lose this class and most likely next year's class if he's fired now. But having said this, I really don't care as MS has recruited the players that fill out the defensive roster. Adding more of the same isn't going to help.
Name me one player that sited Mike Stoops are the guy that recruited him? Most say Thibodeaux and Viney.

Mike Stoops is truly a problem......but the defensive issues, in my opinion, are also a fault of the hurry-up offense that keeps the defensive unit on the field too often. The Oklahoma offense is sexy and exciting to watch, but it comes at the expense of the defense to a certain degree.
Texas and Army played ball control and wore down Oklahoma's defense and what I'm seeing now is fatigue taking its toll as much as poor tackling, confusion, missed assignments and poor preparation...all byproducts of terrible coaching.

Mike Stoops is truly a problem......but the defensive issues, in my opinion, are also a fault of the hurry-up offense that keeps the defensive unit on the field too often. The Oklahoma offense is sexy and exciting to watch, but it comes at the expense of the defense to a certain degree.
Texas and Army played ball control and wore down Oklahoma's defense and what I'm seeing now is fatigue taking its toll
as much as poor tackling, confusion, missed assignments and poor preparation...all byproducts of terrible coaching.
You may have a point here, but that certainly didn't apply yesterday. OUs defense didn't get a single stop in the first half yesterday. Fatigue had nothing to do with that. OUs defense just couldn't make plays needed to get off the field.

If they wouldnt give up 3rd and long play to extend drives then they wouldnt be so tired. 3rd and 20 should result in a punt, but not with the way our db's play. Mike is a terrible DC, but the DB's coach is just plain trash. The DB's never even look back for the ball, the were playing outside in on man coverage. Watch Bama, Georgia, Clemson their db's all turn and locate the ball which leads to ints.

Recruiting?
Bobo Stoops has been a lazy recruiter ever since he's been back. Every team is already saying Bobo is gone when they recruit against us. It happen last year.
I think Bobo being fired could help but Riley will have to pickup the slack, and he can, offense is almost done.
The issue will be naming a DC and it would have to happen in Dec, before the 1st NSD. That would make the list, pretty short for Coaches willing to leave that early. Or worst McNeil gets named

Do we really want to recruit players for a Bobo style defense anyway? We are crazy deep this recruiting cycle on that hybrid LB/DE and thin at safety and true LB's.

Reactions: Senior Sooner
Several observers mentioned how much OU's defense had to play against Army and Baylor and that fatigue may carry over in the Texas game. Based on what happened, that's hard to dispute.

If this were 1958 or 1978, I might be on suicide watch after that performance. But, it has become commonplace. Somehow, we learned to accept 10-2 as a good year and 11-1 with a blowout loss in a playoff game as the way it is. In 1978, the fans noticed when a player missed a block or got faked out on a tackle. I don't remember ever seeing a player push a pile ten yards after he was tackled. I don't remember seeing wide open players all over the field for a QB to throw to.

Army takes a group of guys, not one of whom we would have recruited out of highschool, and shoves us around. They are even wide open on their passes, and they don't pass. We couldn't tackle guys that wouldn't make our four deep. A big deal was made about the fact that it was a unique style, the wishbone. This is the same wishbone that we abandoned because everyone in the country had caught up to it, and we couldn't compete at the top level even with the best talent in the country, because we couldn't throw---except that we did and won another title. It's funny that we have won only one title since we abandoned the wishbone.

We didn't get pushed around because it was the wishbone. We got pushed around because we forgot something Switzer taught. You run each play a hundred times a day in practice because 99 are not enough. You don't miss blocks. You don't fail to execute, on offense or defense.

We lost a title because we couldn't make one yard in four downs from the one. How many times do we see a talented running back get stuffed at the line of scrimmage? We send a 240 pound running back off tackle, and he is stood up by a crowd. Same play comes at us, and they push us six yards downfield.

Defense is on the field too long because they don't do anything to get off the field. We backed Texas up to 3rd and 20, and they made it easily in two plays. How many 3rd and tens did we give up? Defenses don't get tired if they make plays and get off the field. I never want to hear fatigue used as an excuse. That's their job---get the other team off the field.

Since Switzer, we have accepted a difference level of achievement. We speak of winning conference titles. We think that is good. Execution left Oklahoma in 88, thirty years ago. You get what you accept. I would be proud if I were a fan of Army. They do extremely well with talent that nobody else wants because they execute to the best of their ability. Don't talk to me of four star or five star recruits when we have coaches who are proud of two star achievement.

Any more, I don't even miss a beat when we lose: Iowa State, so what? Texas, big deal. Softball team tries. Gymnastics teams both try. They execute and execute, and continue to try to improve. They want to be the best. Football, we won six titles (50-85). One since. Lot's of resting on fading laurels.

Let me know when Mike is no longer acceptable. Softball team lost two great pitchers. They'll try. Bet they do better than the football team this year, next year, the year after, etc.

If this were 1958 or 1978, I might be on suicide watch after that performance. But, it has become commonplace. Somehow, we learned to accept 10-2 as a good year and 11-1 with a blowout loss in a playoff game as the way it is. In 1978, the fans noticed when a player missed a block or got faked out on a tackle. I don't remember ever seeing a player push a pile ten yards after he was tackled. I don't remember seeing wide open players all over the field for a QB to throw to.

Army takes a group of guys, not one of whom we would have recruited out of highschool, and shoves us around. They are even wide open on their passes, and they don't pass. We couldn't tackle guys that wouldn't make our four deep. A big deal was made about the fact that it was a unique style, the wishbone. This is the same wishbone that we abandoned because everyone in the country had caught up to it, and we couldn't compete at the top level even with the best talent in the country, because we couldn't throw---except that we did and won another title. It's funny that we have won only one title since we abandoned the wishbone.

We didn't get pushed around because it was the wishbone. We got pushed around because we forgot something Switzer taught. You run each play a hundred times a day in practice because 99 are not enough. You don't miss blocks. You don't fail to execute, on offense or defense.

We lost a title because we couldn't make one yard in four downs from the one. How many times do we see a talented running back get stuffed at the line of scrimmage? We send a 240 pound running back off tackle, and he is stood up by a crowd. Same play comes at us, and they push us six yards downfield.

Defense is on the field too long because they don't do anything to get off the field. We backed Texas up to 3rd and 20, and they made it easily in two plays. How many 3rd and tens did we give up? Defenses don't get tired if they make plays and get off the field. I never want to hear fatigue used as an excuse. That's their job---get the other team off the field.

Since Switzer, we have accepted a difference level of achievement. We speak of winning conference titles. We think that is good. Execution left Oklahoma in 88, thirty years ago. You get what you accept. I would be proud if I were a fan of Army. They do extremely well with talent that nobody else wants because they execute to the best of their ability. Don't talk to me of four star or five star recruits when we have coaches who are proud of two star achievement.

Any more, I don't even miss a beat when we lose: Iowa State, so what? Texas, big deal. Softball team tries. Gymnastics teams both try. They execute and execute, and continue to try to improve. They want to be the best. Football, we won six titles (50-85). One since. Lot's of resting on fading laurels.

Let me know when Mike is no longer acceptable. Softball team lost two great pitchers. They'll try. Bet they do better than the football team this year, next year, the year after, etc.

No truer words have been spoken Syabrite. World class offense neutralized by a bottom of the barrel defense.

Best post of the season.

If Mike is fired midseason then who will be able to take his place? Ruffin McNeil???? Come on.....problem is he should have been fired several years ago and we wouldn't be in this position right now. Riley doesn't seem to have the guts and Bob certainly wouldn't fire his own brother.

Great post. We have accepted being very good, but not great. Many on this board told me I was wrong for being upset about a 2 loss season and a bowl birth year after year. Maybe now the masses are beginning to lose patience. Especially when we see what other programs are doing.

Excellent Read, Sybarite...Thanks for shedding new light on this Sad Subject which is rapidly becoming 'Rebumdant, agin'...Welcome Back, Old Friend...I am Smiling, :) and so is William Jennings Bryan!

Part of playing teams like Army, against players "we would have never recruited", has to do with playing against players who are better coached and more disciplined. It's an example of brains winning over brawn.....and I also think it's playing against players who aren't afraid of losing because they know they're at West Point for much more important things. This makes them more resilient to bad breaks, busted plays or losing a game.
Contrary to popular opinion here, I believe superior coaching can prevail over superior size, speed and overall talent. While Army did not beat OU, it showed what I'm referring to.....taking a heavily favored team to overtime.
I think, too, that the Army roster isn't made up of players "nobody wanted". It's made up of young men who want to be students and soldiers.
As for the extinction of the wishbone, the increased size and speed of players today, especially on defense, would take a great physical toll on wishbone quarterbacks. It's why the wishbone has never been the offense of choice in the NFL.
No doubt Mayfield and Murray could have been capable wishbone operators, but their susceptibility to injury would have been great, especially against the Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama type defenses.
The wishbone represents an extreme reliance on the running game. Against larger, faster and more physical athletes, it won't produce championship success in today's football.
But I agree that most of us have accepted as success the continuation of OU having winning seasons devoid of national championships. Until our coaches prioritize defense to the same level of excellence as they do on offense, this program will always be painted into a corner of limited success.

Good points. Let me present another analogy. When I went to OU, we didn't have new buildings or classrooms. We had only about 12,000 on campus, including graduate school. We didn't have great facilities. I don't even know if the football team had an S&C coach in those days. We played it rather close to the vest, economically.

Yet, there was one thing that anyone of that era can remember with dread, the hated English classes. They cautioned us that two-thirds of all freshmen failed, usually because of English. You might not have the best facilities in physics or chemistry labs. But, you would learn grammar. You would learn it so well that two years later, you would all go buy a blue book and six #2 pencils (I don't think it was done in ink). You were assigned a room at 7:00 PM and given six topics to choose from. You and about twelve others would sit quietly in the room for two-to-three hours (memory fails) and write a 500-word (?) theme on one of the six topics. A couple of weeks later, you would find out if you had passed this, the English J examination. As I remember, two spelling or grammar errors were permitted. If you committed the crime of making three errors, you would spend your senior year taking remedial English grammar.

We might not have had the facilities and the money. But, we demanded excellence in what we did have.

When I left OU, I found that students from other universities may have learned more specific information than we had. But, they could not write an error-free sentence. An OU student at least had control of the written language, in comparison. In fact, I found that it was a statewide thing that also pertained to our highschools. We had no facilities. But, the typical Okie handled grammar a lot better than did someone from the average school elsewhere. We may have sounded uneducated, but we had been taught grammar.

I can remember Bud Wilkinson's favorite play to show what it meant to be a good OU blocker. It was a simply sweep off of the triple option. But, the runner had to double back a couple of times. I don't think the runner scored, but he did gain about thirty yards. But, the thing that Bud liked was that Leon Heath made five different blocks on the play, being knocked down a couple of times by the block. He simply got up and made another block, enabling the runner to cut back twice. We can't seem to find someone who won't miss their one block. He knocked down five different guys.

Demand excellence.

I have watched several OU classics and what jumps out to me that is so very different today is tackling. I go back to my football days, and I was always a starter, but never claim to have been even close to OU material; however I am 100% certain that I could tackle better than most of the players today because I was coached to wrap up and if I hadn’t I would not play. Basics. I’ve tried to figure out why coaches today allow (accept) players to simply “run into” someone in an attempt to “knock” them down (big hit). I have thought that it was because the DB isn’t that big of a kid and that may be the a way to tackle a bigger player. Well, I wasn’t always the biggest safety but my coach would have jerked me if I tried that crap in a heart beat. If a 5’9” DB has to run into a guy to get him down, don’t fricking recruit him. Go back and look at the average weight of our DBs in 2000. 9 out of 10 were 200+, ranging from 210-225. Now we have short 170-185 pounders that evidently are too small to tackle and too short to take the bigger WRs.......and all too often play the receivers eyes instead of turning and looking for the ball. That a coaching issue.

Reactions: slugbug
ADVERTISEMENT