ADVERTISEMENT

OFFICIAL GAME THREAD - WEEK #4 - OU vs. BAYLOR

If you go back and watch, you'll see a scheme last night much closer to what we saw the last few seasons in that ridiculous 3-4 hybrid, than what we saw in the first 3 games with 3 and 1 technique defensive tackles. And we went back to 10+ yard cushions on 3rd and 5ish situations. Pitch and catch for anybody. We lose all aggressive play calling and when we blitz it's obvious where it's coming from. QB has all night to throw to receivers who haven't been touched.

Mike doesn't trust his guys. This is the most talent I've seen on our defense in years and he's handcuffing them. Gallimore and Lampkin are ready to be a dominating tandem. Tyrece Lott would make an excellent sub for Ward. When Obo needs a breather put Lott and Ward on the ends and bring Parker up and run a true nickel. Kelly and Beal or Murray as weak and strong linebackers. Be prepared to get beat from time to time. It happens. Basically...

...run the damn defense we ran in the early 2000s with very minor tweaks. Bring the defense to them. Quit sitting back and waiting to read and react.

If you go back and watch, you'll see a scheme last night much closer to what we saw the last few seasons in that ridiculous 3-4 hybrid, than what we saw in the first 3 games with 3 and 1 technique defensive tackles. And we went back to 10+ yard cushions on 3rd and 5ish situations. Pitch and catch for anybody. We lose all aggressive play calling and when we blitz it's obvious where it's coming from. QB has all night to throw to receivers who haven't been touched.

Mike doesn't trust his guys. This is the most talent I've seen on our defense in years and he's handcuffing them. Gallimore and Lampkin are ready to be a dominating tandem. Tyrece Lott would make an excellent sub for Ward. When Obo needs a breather put Lott and Ward on the ends and bring Parker up and run a true nickel. Kelly and Beal or Murray as weak and strong linebackers. Be prepared to get beat from time to time. It happens. Basically...

...run the damn defense we ran in the early 2000s with very minor tweaks. Bring the defense to them. Quit sitting back and waiting to read and react.

I love this post.

Reactions: Senior Sooner

I'm afraid this is just Mike's philosophy and he is too stubborn to change. He seems to never learn

Reactions: Oklabama
Mike's bread and butter was a zone blitzing nickel package with occasional 4-3 and dime, depending on the opponent.

Seems like Mike has always been aggressive when playing a traditional team, yet sits back and plays zone when facing a team like Baylor. I've always thought OU plays much better when he lets the dogs loose. We may get burned a time or two, but I'd rather take my chances with the aggressive approach.

Yes, he needs to be aggressive. That was the success of his nickel zone blitz scheme. Somebody was coming, always. But you never knew where. I've seen 2 corner blitzes from Motley. No DLs dropping and safties. Nothing like it used to be.

ADVERTISEMENT