ADVERTISEMENT

NSD is officially over...

and Riley is now officially on the clock for the firing of Mike Stoops.
I’ve come to grips with the fact that Mike Stoops will be the DC until he decides to leave. It’s obvious that those in power are not concerned about a defense that consistently ranks at the bottom of the big xii or they would have had him fired years ago.

Yes it’s like some unremovable “cookie” is on the Sooner hard drive. This was placed there when Bob stepped down. The new crew better get brought along well. He should be sweating bullets if we still suck on D this fall.

Reactions: iasooner1
I’ve come to grips with the fact that Mike Stoops will be the DC until he decides to leave. It’s obvious that those in power are not concerned about a defense that consistently ranks at the bottom of the big xii or they would have had him fired years ago.
Agree.
Coach Mike will stay as long as he wants, then retire for good.
Until then, what team would want him ?

Reactions: BillyRay
Just make MS, equipment manager and give him $7.25 an hour. Keep him away from the field and all players. Who do we go after, for a new DC? Ruffin not the guy and I'm not sure who we could get.

With Riley, limited experience, he hasn't made a lot of contacts, so his only relationships come from, mid tier or bottom tier programs.

Agree.
Coach Mike will stay as long as he wants, then retire for good.
Until then, what team would want him ?

Geez, I hope not. Mike is only 56 years old. I can’t imagine what he would do with himself in retirement so is it likely he would choose to retire anytime soon? If not pushed out, he could be here ...... ah, longer than me. :eek:

Reactions: CTOkie
Geez, I hope not. Mike is only 56 years old. I can’t imagine what he would do with himself in retirement so is it likely he would choose to retire anytime soon? If not pushed out, he could be here ...... ah, longer than me. :eek:
That is a concern for me as well.

He's only got one more year on his contract. I highly doubt Lincoln re-signs him, or he would have already renegotiated a contract for Mike.

Mike is gone at the end of next year at the very latest, or sooner (hopefully).

I can't believe the Hottest Young coach in College Football, is willing to bet his future, the programs future and his family future on Mike Stoops. That's the only question he needs to ask himself. Is Mike Stoops the guys to win championships? Is he the guy I want to make my legacy? I doubt Riley or any Top 25 coach, could or would, answer yes.

I can't believe the Hottest Young coach in College Football, is willing to bet his future, the programs future and his family future on Mike Stoops. That's the only question he needs to ask himself. Is Mike Stoops the guys to win championships? Is he the guy I want to make my legacy? I doubt Riley or any Top 25 coach, could or would, answer yes.
Biggest downside of all that is that you just absolutely know all the other coaches are using that as negative info about OU.

"Why would you go play for a DC that is in his last year? If they truly believed in him, they'd give him a five year contract. Even the OU people don't believe in him. Do you want to take a chance that you'll even like the new DC they're going to bring in? Going to OU is a no-win situation...at worst they keep Mike Stoops and his mediocre-to-bad defense. At best, you get a new DC, one that might not fit your needs as a defensive player."

Biggest downside of all that is that you just absolutely know all the other coaches are using that as negative info about OU.

"Why would you go play for a DC that is in his last year? If they truly believed in him, they'd give him a five year contract. Even the OU people don't believe in him. Do you want to take a chance that you'll even like the new DC they're going to bring in? Going to OU is a no-win situation...at worst they keep Mike Stoops and his mediocre-to-bad defense. At best, you get a new DC, one that might not fit your needs as a defensive player."

If that's what they're telling them, it isn't working. This is the best class we've had in a very long time on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not an MS fan, but I KNOW that LR is a heck of a lot more concerned about his own future than anyone pounding away anonymously on a keyboard. There are a few possibilities with regard to MS' future, and one of those possibilities is that LR actually believes what he's said about MS.

We'll see.

Well, hell if Mike absolutely must stay for the sake of his final contract year, reassign him as the Scout Coach, send him to scout our opponents and be damn sure he’s not around on OU game day. Just make sure you send a camera crew with him. And hire another DC for the 2018 season. Absolutely ridiculous situation.

If that's what they're telling them, it isn't working. This is the best class we've had in a very long time on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm not an MS fan, but I KNOW that LR is a heck of a lot more concerned about his own future than anyone pounding away anonymously on a keyboard. There are a few possibilities with regard to MS' future, and one of those possibilities is that LR actually believes what he's said about MS.

We'll see.

I didn't listen to all of the podcast of the big time recruits signing. Did any of them mention Mike Stoops? Was he really big in recruiting any of these guys?

We'll see.
I'm not anonymous. I'm Micco. :)

And while we had an absolutely great class, especially on the defensive line, that doesn't mean they won't use it going forward. Or that they didn't use it and it worked on some of the other guys we missed out on this year.

Of course there's no real way to prove that either way, unless we have actual recruits or their high school coaches that can dispel this "myth". Which I might ask around, and see if that's being used.

I'm not anonymous. I'm Micco. :)

And while we had an absolutely great class, especially on the defensive line, that doesn't mean they won't use it going forward. Or that they didn't use it and it worked on some of the other guys we missed out on this year.

Of course there's no real way to prove that either way, unless we have actual recruits or their high school coaches that can dispel this "myth". Which I might ask around, and see if that's being used.

Ha! But I'm including all of us in the anonymous category. Like I said, I'm not a fan of Mike, but I only see what happens during the game. Whatever the real situation is with him, it didn't seem to hurt much with STK18. Then again, by every account I've seen, it seems as if Thibs and Ruffin were the ones that got two 4 star D linemen out of St. Louis. Don't know who flipped Tatum from Texas, but that was a big get, as well. I'm pretty excited about several of the defensive guys coming in. Radley-Hiles should contribute immediately, as should Dashaun White and two or three others, if not more.

As others have said, though, let's see what the coaches can do with them.

Maybe OU believes they are getting Mike for a bargain given their last DC is now making $2 million doing the same thing at Clemson. Just announced. Dilly dilly, Brent.

Maybe OU believes they are getting Mike for a bargain given their last DC is now making $2 million doing the same thing at Clemson. Just announced. Dilly dilly, Brent.

Dilly, dilly!

Gawd, I hate that phrase, but it's so damn catchy that I fall into the trap too. #guiltypleasures

I see Riley evolving on the Mikey situation like this:
1. Preseason mags/radio talk consistently knock us a few spots solely due to NO CHANGES on the D side.
2. Such talk is inevitably vindicated when our D gets raped by the likes of ISU (again).

Only then do the smelling salts of reality finally find Riley's nostrils.

Reactions: veritas59
Giving Mike another year is going to be like keeping Gomer Jones or John Blake another season. If the defense has another poor season Riley is going to get ripped and deserving so. If Mike turns the defense around, Lincoln will look like a genius. Either way, he will deserve what he gets. Big risk IMO.

Does anyone really believe he can turn the defense around? Do you really believe some 4 stars are going to save the defense when he is the one coordinating it? He didn’t even have Obo rushing the passer on a lot of plays? He could’ve lined him up in different places to thwart a double team and he might have had 20 sacks! Corners give too much cushion but an excellent pass rush would help! I will keep saying this but we don’t have a true mike linebacker? Even if you justify Mike you can’t justify Kish that is his area! Someone has to be accountable for a 67th ranked defense! Iowa st was 43rd with less talent

Does anyone really believe he can turn the defense around? Do you really believe some 4 stars are going to save the defense when he is the one coordinating it? He didn’t even have Obo rushing the passer on a lot of plays? He could’ve lined him up in different places to thwart a double team and he might have had 20 sacks! Corners give too much cushion but an excellent pass rush would help! I will keep saying this but we don’t have a true mike linebacker? Even if you justify Mike you can’t justify Kish that is his area! Someone has to be accountable for a 67th ranked defense! Iowa st was 43rd with less talent
Goddam man, now I'm more pissed off than before your post. Heh, yeah Mike's a liability, nepotism

Reactions: Oklabama

Riley has to have bought in on Mike Stoops being a good, quality DC. Otherwise there’s no reason he didn’t fire him along with Kish. What the hell does Lincoln Riley have to lose by replacing these guys? He is the head coach and it’s the head coach’s responsibility to locate, recruit, and hire the best assistant coaches he can get. He shouldn’t feel any pressure to keep Mike. What is OU going to do, fire one if the hottest young coaches in college football? Lincoln either truly believes in Mike or he may be too wishy washy for the job. All indications point to Lincoln having complete confidence in his staff. If that’s a problem for Sooner fans, he will have to accept the criticism if things go bad defensively.

This is the best defensive class that OU has recruited and signed in well over 10 years. Perhaps even the best that has been recruited and signed while Mike Stoops has been a DC. Perhaps he's going to give enough rope to let MS hang himself or lasso a Natty.

But I'll stand by my comments from two years ago. OU will never win a Natty w/ MS at the helm.

This is the best defensive class that OU has recruited and signed in well over 10 years. Perhaps even the best that has been recruited and signed while Mike Stoops has been a DC. Perhaps he's going to give enough rope to let MS hang himself or lasso a Natty.

But I'll stand by my comments from two years ago. OU will never win a Natty w/ MS at the helm.
Yes it is the best defensive class in a long time. Mike Stoops may not know how to coach it into becoming championship caliber.

Last years defensive class looks about the same on paper. I remember thinking we have some nasty hitters. Broiles, Draper, Barnes, Daley and Murray highlight reels. looked great. Faamatua a CC guy already has the body. Broiles, Draper and Thomas all had NFL potential out of HS and all Oklahoma guys. I still think each one plays a lot next year and Draper has that it factor. I saw an interview with Venables, when he was recruiting him to Clemson. He was really high on Draper.

DT Faamatua
DB Broiles
LB Draper
S Barnes
LB Gumbs
DE Thomas
DT Lott
LB Murray
DB Brown
DB Norwood

I only see 3 guys getting decent playing time next year on defense. DT Thompson if he qualifies. DB Bookie and DE Perkins, will see a lot of action. DB, Yell is one to keep an eye on. He seems to have that it factor. I thought the same thing about Broiles last year, then they red shirted him.

Mike's job security at OU has to be only his last name.

captain_small.jpg

Last years defensive class looks about the same on paper. I remember thinking we have some nasty hitters. Broiles, Draper, Barnes, Daley and Murray highlight reels. looked great. Faamatua a CC guy already has the body. Broiles, Draper and Thomas all had NFL potential out of HS and all Oklahoma guys. I still think each one plays a lot next year and Draper has that it factor. I saw an interview with Venables, when he was recruiting him to Clemson. He was really high on Draper.

DT Faamatua
DB Broiles
LB Draper
S Barnes
LB Gumbs
DE Thomas
DT Lott
LB Murray
DB Brown
DB Norwood

I only see 3 guys getting decent playing time next year on defense. DT Thompson if he qualifies. DB Bookie and DE Perkins, will see a lot of action. DB, Yell is one to keep an eye on. He seems to have that it factor. I thought the same thing about Broiles last year, then they red shirted him.

I think Redmond will be used often in the DE or OLB rotation. He is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

ADVERTISEMENT