ADVERTISEMENT

Now the real season begins

Larry4681

Walk-on candidate
Sep 27, 2023
I guess I’m going to ask the question that atleast some of us are thinking. Other than Maine will we win another game? Oline STILL looks terrible. Also where is PJ? When will Anderson be back? When will Everett be back? When will Hickman be back? Has Stone played a snap yet? Is Gentry Williams EVER healthy?

Josh Heupel returns to Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium for the first time since 2015, when he was fired by Bob Stoops and replaced by Lincoln Riley. Should be an interesting game.

Reactions: iasooner24
We are still a hot mess on offense right now and with some guys back I just don't see it helping a whole lot. Defense showed its not a great defense but decent, those high octane offenses like Tenn, Ole Miss etc are gonna torch it I am afraid.
I still don't see more than 4 wins for this team right now and thats a stretch at this point.

On the bright side at least we won't lose to Kansas St this yr. Watched them Fri night and they look pretty good. Even if in the Big 12 this yr I doubt we would win 6 games.
I heard someone say the other day that fans need to be patient because BV is building a Championship Defense for the past 3 yrs. Why hasn't he built a Championship Offense in those 3 yrs as well?

We will see where we stand when Rocky Top rolls into Norman. Hopefully some guys are healthy enough to play but until we find a running game Rocky Top gonna dare us to throw like Houston and Tulane did. JA can't keep running like he did today. That Tulane defender tried to take his head off today, and came close to doing it.
SL said in his post game coachspeak presser that the RB Room is healthy and a good group, JA had more rushing yds today than our 3 backs combined and he didn't even break the Century Mark. That aint gonna cut it. Big Boy Football starts this week. Buckle up Sooners.

200w.gif

The defense only gave up 13 points. I didn’t see anything major to worry about defensively. But I doubt we have much of a chance to win many games without a major improvement in the offense. Perhaps only two more.

Last edited:
On the bright side at least we won't lose to Kansas St this yr. Watched them Fri night and they look pretty good. Even if in the Big 12 this yr I doubt we would win 6 games.
I heard someone say the other day that fans need to be patient because BV is building a Championship Defense for the past 3 yrs. Why hasn't he built a Championship Offense in those 3 yrs as well?

We will see where we stand when Rocky Top rolls into Norman. Hopefully some guys are healthy enough to play but until we find a running game Rocky Top gonna dare us to throw like Houston and Tulane did. JA can't keep running like he did today. That Tulane defender tried to take his head off today, and came close to doing it.
SL said in his post game coachspeak presser that the RB Room is healthy and a good group, JA had more rushing yds today than our 3 backs combined and he didn't even break the Century Mark. That aint gonna cut it. Big Boy Football starts this week. Buckle up Sooners.

200w.gif
67, a lack of a championship offense these past three years had a lot to to with losing both Williams and Rattler after 2021, along with an ever-changing roster each year due to transfers (going and coming) and coaching staff turnovers.
I chose to judge Venables’ progress this year on how the team improves as the season goes along as well as the won/lost record. For now, I hope this team plays each game close without any blowout defeats and gains a winning record.
We have to accept the simple fact that this year’s schedule is more challenging than any OU team has ever had and comes along at a pivotal time in Venables’ program restoration.
So far, I think the offensive line is the key to everything and anything this year’s team accomplishes.

On the bright side at least we won't lose to Kansas St this yr. Watched them Fri night and they look pretty good.

I watched Kansas State last week against Tulane and they looked pretty bad. K-State was losing by 10 at halftime and only won because Tulane self-destructed in the second half and had some terrible calls go against them. Tulane had almost 500 total yards in that game.

I watched Kansas State last week against Tulane and they looked pretty bad. K-State was losing by 10 at halftime and only won because Tulane self-destructed in the second half and had some terrible calls go against them. Tulane had almost 500 total yards in that game.
Maybe Tulane is much better than anyone thinks which means we are a lot better than we think or its just a lot of teams trying to get things sorted out like we are. I think its the latter.

Maybe Tulane is much better than anyone thinks which means we are a lot better than we think or its just a lot of teams trying to get things sorted out like we are. I think its the latter.

Tulane had K-State beaten until they self-destructed, and they had won 10 consecutive road games before losing to OU, so I'd say beating them by 2 scores is pretty good.

Tennessee will be by far the most explosive team and best defensive team OU will have faced this season up to this point.

We as fans will learn just how good this OU defense really is and if they live up to it then it is the only way OU stays in the game. This is what I am hoping for but unless the offense has the game of the season I think OU may very well be out of the game by halftime.

I suspect OU has been very vanilla on both sides of the ball waiting for this game. Why show anything before the meat of the schedule vs teams like Temple, Houston or Tulane. In doing so it made fans nervous because the previous 2 were closer than maybe they should have been but I think the injuries are more to blame for that vs being too vanilla.
BV said they will have a good game plan for Tenn and I believe they will. They know that this is a big game and will have them ready. Besides all the pressure is on Tenn, they are not supposed to lose this one.

I won't be surprised is OU-UTenn is a good game. I also won't be surprised if they blow us out, badly. If we send the same 22 out there that we did against Tulane, I believe we're in serious trouble. I get the feeling that OU 1 Center will star, rather than 4, and that Nik Anderson has been saved for the conference games. On premium sites, there have been claims that those close to Nik think he's already been good to go. I think they just want t mazimize his chance to heal. If we get both back, it will make a HUGE difference.

Until yesterday, we were playing Sexton at guard, solely because they needed him to help call the blocking schemes. But the staff decided they HAD to play him at tackle, because we were struggling so much there. If we get Hickman back, the whole dynamic changes. And if Anderson comes back, then defenses can't just load up against Deion. It totally changes the offense. The bad news is that neither of those guys has gotten a chance to get into playing shape. But the main thing is that at least so far, the Vols have been really good.

I think this has a chance to be a really good game. We'll have to be way better than we have been. UTenn's quarterback is young. Our crowd can make a diffeerence if they make the effort. I believe NC State was ranked when the Vols came to town in week two. Heupel's offense put up half a hundred, 51-10. We're not NC State. bit I know we haven't been any better so far.

Here is what another article said about OU. I enjoy reading articles from across othe news outlets but if OU does somehow get to 8 wins I would be estastic.

3. Is Oklahoma any good?​

Considering it’s 13th in the Coaches Poll and 15th in the AP, yeah, it’s good, but it might literally be overrated.

This one’s a little harder because - at least at the moment - Oklahoma has a bad combination of things to worry about. It had an easy schedule so far and it’s not playing all that well.

It’s 3-0, but it can’t seem to hit a third down play, the passing game is sputtering, and that was against Temple, Houston, and Tulane.

Reality is about to come to breakfast this week. The O in OU had better be ready to rumble with Tennessee up next and the Rivalry against Texas coming after a trip to Auburn.

Best guess? Oklahoma rises up and wins enough to have a decent year - there’s still a layup against Maine coming - but …

Tennessee, Texas, South Carolina, at Ole Miss, at Missouri, Alabama, at LSU (and I left out that date at Auburn).

The Sooner defense is good, but the offense had better come up with more than 325 yards per game in a huge hurry or this schedule screams 8-4 at absolute everything-goes-right best.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
We'll find out about the defense, hoping to see some man and Coach V, throwing those perfectly timed blitzes. If the offense struggles again, the defense will be worn out in the 2nd half. I just do not see the Oline holding up to great SEC Dlines, Tenn has a very good Dline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT