ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Houston Rivals Camp

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Alright guys, just wanted to post some notes before I can get to a story, pictures, and the video/interviews that came along today.

*Rivals100 linebacker Michael Divinity is a guy that just dominated at this camp, to me he was the best player on hand. I thought he had bulked up and looked much better than the skinny guy I saw almost exactly a year ago. I will say talking to a few people he seems a more foregone conclusion than ever to LSU.

*A linebacker who had a tougher day was fellow Sooner offer, Jeffrey McCulloch, but really it's to be expected. As much as the camp suited Divinity's ability, it really didn't suit an in your-face point of attack player like McCulloch. He did what he could but he just isn't a guy that is built to run wheel routes and cover guys 20 yards past the line of scrimmage and it showed. That being said, it doesn't change my opinion him on that he is a player but I will say to me he is clearly a 3-4 outside linebacker rather than a lot of the talk about him being an inside guy.

He played it pretty coy when we talked but

*A guy that absolutely wowed me was Kingwood, Texas TCU commitment, and recent Oklahoma offer, Sewo Olonilua. He worked at safety and though I think he'll almost undoubtedly end up at linebacker (where he told me Oklahoma likes him) but he is a natural in coverage, though he was playing against guys 30-pounds, or more smaller than he is. I see a guy who could be a great inside linebacker if he can handle the game inside. Regardless a big athlete like him, you need to get him on campus and his position will figure itself out.

He mentioned taking a visit to Oklahoma this summer as a very likely possibility - and I don't get the feeling his TCU commitment is all that solid.

*Another Oklahoma linebacker who had a really good say was Manvel, Texas standout Jordan Carmouche. He was a close second to Divinity in his downfield coverage and I thought it was interesting that Oklahoma is talking to him about playing inside.

*Finally amongst Oklahoma offers on hand was Waco La Vega cornerback Parrish Cobb was the standout defensive back. He is a physical guy who wants to come up and press a receiver and force him of his route. He showed good makeup speed and is a pretty fluid athlete working against receivers. You can tell he is a guy who has been working on his game.

Of all the guys I spoke with he was the one I was most certain about Oklahoma's chances - really got the feeling he likes Kerry Cooks a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.