ADVERTISEMENT

Norvell...

WhyNotaSooner

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2004
Did the fact that he coached against Mike Stoop's defenses give him an edge up? It's hard to say how much of his knowledge of OU's defense effected his game planning. But his offense came out on fire and hit OU in the mouth a bit and it rattled them.

Having said this, I'm glad he's gone.

Did the fact that he coached against Mike Stoop's defenses give him an edge up? It's hard to say how much of his knowledge of OU's defense effected his game planning. But his offense came out on fire and hit OU in the mouth a bit and it rattled them.

Bob should have gotten rid of his brother.

I think many have attempted to blow this out of proportion. Any offensive coordinator could have done what Norvell did, especially when they realized quickly how well running the ball was working and the defensive coordinator for your opponent is making zero adjustments to stop it.

I think many have attempted to blow this out of proportion. Any offensive coordinator could have done what Norvell did, especially when they realized quickly how well running the ball was working and the defensive coordinator for your opponent is making zero adjustments to stop it.
not any O - Cord would have done what Norvell did. I would say that our old OC Shawn Watson would have tried to keep the passing game intact. Heard did say that the airing the ball out was the plan until Jay noticed how the running game was going and adjusted the game plan on the fly. I figured once Mike went up in the booth he would get a better view of what was going on but it was your offence that hung you out to dry, Specifically your O-line and that fumble killed you guys early. I am not so sure they did not look back at the tech game in 2013 when we sacked Mayfield 7 times that day. He can only do so much and then when you keep putting pressure...after pressure on him he starts making bad decisions.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
I think a lot of the defensive problems is on the players. A good number of times they were in position to make tackles and looked weak in the effort. Player over running their containment responsibilities.
Why would Norvelle stop running the ball if OU couldn't stop it? I don't give that credit to Norvelle, I give it to Texas players who wanted to dominate us and they succeeded. Everyone but Baker and Seibert stunk it up. The coaches are responsible to have the team ready emotionally so they failed in that way for sure.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
I think a lot of the defensive problems is on the players. A good number of times they were in position to make tackles and looked weak in the effort. Player over running their containment responsibilities.
Why would Norvelle stop running the ball if OU couldn't stop it? I don't give that credit to Norvelle, I give it to Texas players who wanted to dominate us and they succeeded. Everyone but Baker and Seibert stunk it up. The coaches are responsible to have the team ready emotionally so they failed in that way for sure.
I think bob said something at the press conference that makes the most sense...I caught it on the radio but it was something like ' if a 21 year old cant motivate himself for a game lie the RRR then what will" . Somebody might know the exact quote but I think that is close.

I think bob said something at the press conference that makes the most sense...I caught it on the radio but it was something like ' if a 21 year old cant motivate himself for a game lie the RRR then what will" . Somebody might know the exact quote but I think that is close.
I agree that really is concerning that OU players have failed to get motivated to play Texas 3 years in a row. No doubt the players own most of that failure. But I also see it also troubling that basically Bob is admitting that the players really don't take his attempts at motivation seriously. If that's the case then what else does Bob say that they tune out as well??

I agree that really is concerning that OU players have failed to get motivated to play Texas 3 years in a row. No doubt the players own most of that failure. But I also see it also troubling that basically Bob is admitting that the players really don't take his attempts at motivation seriously. If that's the case then what else does Bob say that they tune out as well??

I have no clue what he has to do. You can point to a few games where OU has just came out and looked uninspired like Clemson, us the last 3 years, and a few other games. Bob has changed his staff and he seems to be having the same problems that have plagued the team for a while now. I am not comparing him to Mack but I think when you win as much as he has the last 17 years you lose your edge a little. Entitlement and Complacency is a cancer to a team, we have seen that for the last 5 years so who knows what the answer is. Those calling for bobs head are mainly doing that out of emotion, sometimes you better watch out what you ask for.

I never did see Norvell as a problem as an OU Coach. He seemed to have fire...and was the good recruiter too. I am not sure why he was ever let go...aside from a "regime change". It obviously caused the Sooners a problem. That long run play especially...have seen that before against our D, and he exploited that. Smart coaching...

I never did see Norvell as a problem as an OU Coach. He seemed to have fire...and was the good recruiter too. I am not sure why he was ever let go...aside from a "regime change". It obviously caused the Sooners a problem. That long run play especially...have seen that before against our D, and he exploited that. Smart coaching...

Ran into Jay's brother, Aaron, at the UCLA-BYU game at the Rose Bowl almost a month ago. He was a talkative, friendly guy.
He alluded to Jay being a scapegoat, and everyone on staff was upfront, business about it. Aaron said that they're all still good friends / family and that they wouldn't say a bad thing about "Bobby and Mikey" (as he called them). Just business.

Reactions: veritas59
Ran into Jay's brother, Aaron, at the UCLA-BYU game at the Rose Bowl almost a month ago. He was a talkative, friendly guy.
He alluded to Jay being a scapegoat, and everyone on staff was upfront, business about it. Aaron said that they're all still good friends / family and that they wouldn't say a bad thing about "Bobby and Mikey" (as he called them). Just business.

That's very interesting to hear. If it's true, then Norvell was a scapegoat for who?? ;)

Oh yeah, that's part of the deal.
Coaches have to fall onto the sword sometimes in that bidnis. Just can't take it personal.

(at least Spurrier was a man about it and took the fall himself, I respect that)

That's very interesting to hear.

that's exactly what came out of my mouth but I didn't press further. Felt lucky to hear what I did, and he had his little woman with him, so I didn't want to kill her with football talk.

We were just walking around the bowl towards our seats when he spotted my friend in his Sooners jersey. He yelled at us and then as we were headed in the same direction, we chatted for a minute.

that's exactly what came out of my mouth but I didn't press further. Felt lucky to hear what I did, and he had his little woman with him, so I didn't want to kill her with football talk.

We were just walking around the bowl towards our seats when he spotted my friend in his Sooners jersey. He yelled at us and then as we were headed in the same direction, we chatted for a minute.

I remember I had an aunt that traveled by train once, when that was cool and in fashion. She mentioned she saw Bud Wilkinson on that train. I was 6 or 7 years old. I was like...So?

It wasn't until Ma explained it to me about spotting famous people et al. I grasp it a few years later.
I was still trying to master a bike w/o training wheels. :oops:

Reactions: Senior Sooner

The Texas run game was the only thing on fire. They couldn't pass the ball to save their lives. OU continued to play like Texas was a passing threat, instead of loading the box, stop the run, and then force them to pass. I think you'll see all other Texas opponents continue to shut them down, because they will game plan to stop the run. I think it is time that Mike Stoops leaves OU. Also, Riley should have made adjustments, and called more play action and roll outs to get Mayfield out of the pocket. It was clear that our offensive line was unable to protect the QB. It also didn't help that St. John was giving away things with his stance.

I have to disagree with you on recruiting. He was so-so. He landed a few good ones but everyone else was just average to even below average. Sheperd was going to be a Sooner whether Norvell recruited him or not.

I wasn't pleased with the firing of Norvell and would have been on board to see him as our offensive coordinator. He had great success at bringing in top flight WRs but they rarely panned out, and the smaller, quicker guys were the only ones we had regular success with. Good defenses would jam our little receivers at the line, and considering the majority of our routes were either to the sideline within 10 yards of the LOS or go routes down the sideline, it made it difficult for those guys to get open. We never attacked the middle of the field with any regularity and sometimes not at all. I honestly think I could go back and watch every offensive snap last season and count on two hands the number of times we ran slant routes, and maybe less when we attacked between the hash marks past 10 yards.

Watching ECU highlights from Riley's term there and he was always running guys across the middle. Why we aren't doing it now is quite the head scratcher.

clowns-0080.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT