NFL Sooner Pre-Training Camp Blurbs: NFC

OUBeliever

Sooner starter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Tulsa, OK
-- Sterling Shepard will be called on immediately to contribute
By Joe Messineo July 22, 2016, 10:00a

The New York Giants selected a number of highly-talented rookies this past April during the NFL Draft. Someone like third-round pick Darian Thompson fills a dire team need. First-rounder Eli Apple was just considered the best player on the board by the team. Running back Paul Perkins and tight end Jerell Adams come in with the chance to immediately compete for playing time at positions filled with depth and no clear starters. However, no Giants rookie should have a bigger impact this season than second-round wide receiver Sterling Shepard.

The fit, skill set and talent come together so perfectly for Shepard and the Giants that he may be one of the most important rookies in the entire conference. It begins with New York’s depth at wide receiver, or lack thereof.

Odell Beckham Jr. is arguably the best receiver in the NFL. He has had two of the greatest rookie and sophomore years in the history of the sport. Everyone loves Beckham (except Josh Norman, of course). But after OBJ, there are major questions for New York.

Supposedly Victor Cruz will be back healthy this season and will look to regain the form that made him a premiere pass-catcher in the league. Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. Most likely, Cruz suffers some type of setback or, even more likely, he will finally come back and just be a shell of his former playing self. Maybe he will still be good enough to warrant snaps. But it is hard to imagine a scenario where he becomes an every-week starter who the team leans on for production. He has been hurt and away too long.

The rest of wide receiver depth is lacking for the Giants. Sure, Dwayne Harris had a nice season in 2015, but he isn’t a starting wide receiver in this league. You know who could be? Sterling Shepard.

Shepard has a great chance to slide right into the starting lineup from Week 1. Opportunity breeds success. Maybe there’s a more talented wide receiver elsewhere in the NFL, but if he doesn’t get a chance to see the field, it hardly matters. Not only will Shepard get his chance, he will be counted on to perform.

This is where his skill comes in relation to the team’s offense. Shepard isn’t a big dude, but that isn’t a necessity. In fact, at 5-foot-10, 194 pounds, he has nearly an identical build to Beckham. And Shepard excelled at such size in college. He kept getting better each of his four years at Oklahoma, culminating in a combined 2,000-plus yards in his junior and senior years. He averaged 14.9 yards per catch for his entire collegiate career and never played in fewer than 11 games.

NFL.com’s Mike Mayock called him one of the feistiest competitors in the entire draft, regardless of position. He graded out excellently at the draft combine, showing off his strength despite his frame. Shepard already possesses the skill that many receivers lack entering the NFL: route-running. He has great hands, an ability to separate and the work ethic to succeed.

Shepard will be best served playing in the slot, where he will see more free releases and can pick apart defenses with his quickness. That doesn’t gel perfectly with the Giants considering they lack another starter opposite Beckham. But in today’s NFL, a number of the best receivers play exclusively from the slot. For an offensively-inclined coach like Ben McAdoo, finding formations for Shepard will not be a problem.

Shepard would be able to fit into any offense. He fills a dire need on this team with the questions surrounding Cruz’s future. Playing opposite Beckham will mean a ton of single coverage. And he’s already drawing rave reviews. Everything is shaping up for the rook to have a huge year. Eli Manning is going to love this kid.

-- Top Five Offseason Moves For The Dallas Cowboys
By DannyPhantom on Jul 16, 2016

#5 Re-signing James Hanna
The Cowboys are very committed to the running game so it shouldn’t be too surprising that they retained the services of their top blocking tight end, James Hanna. It’s not a position that they are content with just handing over to anyone. The team drafted Geoff Swain in the seventh round of last year’s draft, but haven’t seen enough development to hand over the reins to him just yet.

Hanna is very good at what he does. For the last few years, Hanna has been one of the most underrated Cowboys on the team. He was drafted in the sixth round of 2012. While he has done very little to help in the passing game, his role in 12 personnel is vital. He’s only missed two games in his four-year career so he’s been a reliable fixture in the offense.

-- Bradford Set For His Best NFL Football
Posted Jul 19, 2016
By Dave Spadaro

Sam Bradford is the starting quarterback for the Eagles now, no matter how many times and in how many different ways the media ask the question. He emerged from the spring playing football that inspired his coaches to rave about his performance.

“Sam hasn’t only been good in OTAs, he’s been great," offensive coordinator Frank Reich said in early June. "His production, everything about the way he has performed in OTAs has been, and it’s not an overstatement to say this, off the charts. He’s really been good.”

Said quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo about Bradford: “The first thing I noticed with Sam is that his confidence seems to be where he left off last season. As I came in here and watched the end of the (2015) season you could see his confidence grow as the season went on. I think the majority of that confidence came with the fact that he was healthy and that’s carried over. When you watch Sam practice, the ball doesn’t touch the ground a lot. He’s going to the right places with the football, he throws a very catchable ball and our receivers are doing a nice job for him.”

Quarterback is, of course, a position of great scrutiny and conversation with the Eagles, as it is with every team. This big picture is different, yes, and it is unique. The Eagles signed Bradford to a two-year contract prior to the start of free agency, added Chase Daniel on a three-year deal once free agency began and then, through a two-step trade process, moved up to No. 2 in the first round of the draft to select Carson Wentz from North Dakota State.

And after all of the external chatter and conjecture cleared, it became obvious how the Eagles planned to align the room. The pecking order is Bradford at the front as the starting quarterback, and then Daniel at No. 2 as the veteran steady hand, and then Wentz as the rookie learning the ins and outs of the NFL as the quarterback of the future. Every player understands the situation in the quarterback room. Each of them has been asked extensively about the relationships within that room and each of them have spoken in positive, team-oriented, all-for-one, one-for-all terms.

A quarterback “conundrum,” as is suggested in the media? That’s not how the Eagles see it. The Eagles are bullish on Bradford as he enters Training Camp fully healthy and well-versed in the X’s and O’s. A year ago, if you recall, Bradford had not yet taken a snap in 11-on-11 practices. His spring work, coming off two knee surgeries and after the Eagles acquired him in a trade with St. Louis, was limited to 7-on-7 work and positional drills as the Eagles worked him slowly back to shape.

Bradford and the Eagles' offense struggled early in the 2015 season, but by the end of the year he was a much-improved player. His leg strength was evident. His accuracy was better. He trusted his receivers and at the end of the schedule Bradford completed 65 percent of his passes and threw for more than 3,700 yards and showed enough that the Eagles made it a priority to sign him before free agency began.

The Sam Bradford of 2016 is on track to play his best football in an offense that has his skill set in mind and that understands, with former quarterbacks Doug Pederson, Reich and DeFilippo at the helm, the challenges of the position.

“I do think my best football is ahead of me,” Bradford said in the spring. “I’m healthy and I’m comfortable in this offense. It’s been a really good spring for me and for all of us as we have learned the offense. I like what we’re doing out there.”

Of course, the football in the fall hardly resembles the spring two-handed-touch version. The tempo changes, the quarterbacks put their red jerseys (do not touch!) to the side and defenses game plan to disrupt the flow and rhythm of the guy dropping back and delivering the football. It is all speculative at this point to project Bradford’s performance starting on September 11.

But the Eagles are giving Bradford what he needs to succeed. The offensive line has improved greatly with the addition of Brandon Brooks at right guard. Veteran additions Rueben Randle and Chris Givens bolster the wide receiver corps. Ryan Mathews, Darren Sproles, Kenjon Barner and rookie Wendell Smallwood comprise a running back corps that is wide open and competitive for playing time.

The idea is that Bradford carries forward the momentum generated in the spring and that the Eagles' offense quickly finds its personality and confidence. There are no quarterback questions inside the Eagles' organization, just enthusiasm for Bradford to be the starter, for Daniel to be the know-everything No. 2 and for Wentz to develop for the future.

As Training Camp begins and the scrutiny ratchets up, the Eagles like what they’ve created at quarterback. Now we’re about to see how it all unfolds, when what happens on the field does all the talking.

“I really like where Sam is,” DeFilippo said in the spring. “I’m very pleased with the progress he’s made. I love what I’ve seen with him being ‘the guy.’ His confidence is growing. In the last six or seven practices he has been more boisterous and his cadence is getting stronger and those little things that you see with a veteran as he takes over an offense are impressive to all of us.”

-- Redskins' Trent Williams organizes 'Hogs 2.0' camp, hands out custom swag
By Keely Diven July 21, 2016 12:10 PM

Redskins left tackle Trent Williams is a four-time Pro Bowler and the best player on the team. He's an undisputed leader and has been for years, but he took those duties a step farther this summer.

The six-year vet organized a camp for the offensive line, which he's ambitiously dubbed "Hogs 2.0" after Washington's legendary offensive lines of the 1980s.

“We’re not saying in any way that we’re capable of filling those shoes, but we are saying that we want to carry that bond and that type of tenacity they played with,” Williams told The Washington Post. “That’s why we’re saying 2.0 instead just the Hogs because we could never be the original Hogs, but we can try to carry out that demeanor and that camaraderie they played with.”

The name wasn't the only ambitious part of his project. Williams gathered 12 of his 14 teammates on the offensive line for four days of workouts in Houston. It was an all-expenses-paid proposition: Williams purchased the flights, hotels and training for his teammates, plus personalized "Hogs 2.0" swag. Shirts, shorts and even bucket hats bearing the special logo.

The linemen in attendance: Morgan Moses, Arie Kouandjio, Shawn Lauvao, Spencer Long, Ty Nsekhe, Cody Booth, Austin Reiter, Josh LeRibeus, Nila Kasitati, Al Bond, Takoby Cofield and Kevin Bowen. Only Kory Lichtensteiger and Brandon Scherff couldn't make it.

Training took place at O Athletik, which Williams co-owns with Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and other partners. According to The Houston Chronicle, the 35,000-square-foot facility includes a boxing gym, a sand pit, a hot yoga studio, an indoor field, a steep running hill covered in artificial turf and underwater treadmills, among other features. The place is an athletics palace.

The group worked their tails off with Jeff Cooper, Williams' trainer.

The players did a lot of greuling and otherwise un-fun sounding exercises tailored to their position. Imagine a dozen 200-plus-pound men doing agility drills in a sand pit under the blazing Texas sun. They also ran up and down the hill, lifted weights and did hot yoga (with photographic evidence).

"Trent looked out for us, had all of us come out here. Just to be around each other for a few days was awesome," Arie Kouandjio told the Chronicle. "The workouts were no joke. Hot yoga was pretty tough. We did some good drill work, a bunch of cardio, ran up the hill backwards. And we had an awesome steak dinner. It was a great time all-around."

Williams came away from Hogs 2.0 camp impressed, both with the condition his teammates arrived in and their hard work while in Houston.

“We do have the talent that it takes to be one of the best offensive lines in the National Football League, but it’s going to take time, it’s going to take growth and it’s going to take everybody in that o-line room to get better,” Williams said to the Post.

“I think this is one step closer to that goal. This is the only free time we get so for them to actually make time to come out here and work their tails off, I think that’s a huge commitment in itself as well.”

-- Tress Way Describes His BFF Relationship With His Snapper And Kicker
Posted Jul 18, 2016
Jake Kring-Schreifels
Staff Writer

By nature of their responsibilities, Tress Way, Nick Sundberg and Dustin Hopkins need to be on the same page with each other.

Sundberg snaps the football, Way catches and holds the football and Dustin Hopkins kicks the football through the goal posts, a chain reaction that only makes headlines when it’s doesn’t go smoothly.

It was a winning combination last year, however, which made Hopkins’ transition onto the team, after Kai Forbath was released after Week 1, much easier.

Made field goals and strong sturdy punts help teammates grow to like each other, but it takes three social individuals to take that amenable work relationship and turn it into something more. According to Way, the three of them have become like family.

“I don’t know if every team around the league, if their kicker, punter and their snapper are good friends, but man we hang out every single day with our wives and everybody hanging out together after,” Way told ESPN 980 last week. “You know in the offseason, go play some golf, wiffleball, volleyball, this and that. These two guys, they’re some of my best friends now, all the time we’ve got to spend together.”

Way acknowledged that seeing Forbath leave was a difficult time to start the season, mostly because he had made such an impact on him during his rookie year.

“I was so nervous just being in the locker room with these guys and these two just took me under their wing and they treated me better than you know, probably a lot other rookies get treated so I was thankful for that.

“It’s funny, you hear a lot about kickers and their personalities and I am a punter so I am not too far off from these guys so I am sure people think I am really weird too but these kickers, man. You could talk about two different personalities. Kai was about as laid back as it gets and Hop has a very strict routine and he does it all to a T. He reads the same bible verse before every game and listens to the same songs, it is just funny because that is not my style and I just try not to mess him up. You learn to work with people. They got here for a reason so you just try to keep them on a hot streak.”

Asked whether there’s a chance Way could possibly do something besides holding and punting this season (as in, will he get to throw a touchdown pass on a fake?), Way was naturally coded in his response.

“I am just going to say there might be [a play], and I might get a little fired up if it comes to fruition. It might be in there.”

-- NEW [PACKERS] FACES REPLACING LONGTIME STAPLES
Fullback
The shouts of "Kuuuhhnnn" might finally be over at Lambeau Field. John Kuhn remains an unsigned free agent, so, for those hopeful of a return, there remains a chance, but Aaron Ripkowski was drafted a couple of years ago with the thought he'd be Kuhn's replacement at fullback. That time appears to be now. Kuhn was money on short-yardage runs. Ripkowski, a sixth-round pick in 2015, had no carries and one reception in his rookie year. Of course, a fullback also needs to block and the 6-foot-1, 246-pound Ripkowski certainly has the build. It is hard to replace a fan favorite, but perhaps soon the sound of "Riiiiip" will echo throughout Green Bay.

-- Are the Vikings phasing Adrian Peterson out of their offense? [One of the dumbest headlines ever?]
By Rachel Wold | Last updated 7/21/16

In order for the Minnesota Vikings passing game to improve under third-year quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, the team is reportedly planning on him taking more snaps out of the shotgun this season.

With a new plan of attack, this could lighten up Adrian Peterson’s workload. The future Hall of Fame running back has struggled running out of the shotgun throughout his career. He averaged just 1.6 yards per attempt in like situations last season.

In addition to improving his success rate out of the shotgun, Peterson is working on his pass-catching ability — something that itself must improve for him to play a role in that formation.

“The biggest thing is me just being more patient, and that’s something that you [get by going] through practice reps,” Peterson said, per Matt Vensel of Star Tribune. “That’s something that I was more conscious of last year, and that’ll be an easier transition for me.”

If Peterson is unable to improve in these two categories, third-year running back Jerick McKinnon could come into play. McKinnon managed 4.3 yards per attempt when the team lined up in shotgun formation last year. McKinnon was notably impressive in spring practices and should see an increase in attempts.

Peterson will still retain the lead rushing duties for the Vikings, but McKinnon looks to eat into some of the ground work when they switch to the shotgun formation.

In order for the Vikings’ offense to evolve as a whole, the team must improve on its 31st-ranked pass attack from last year. Bridgewater has managed only 14 passing touchdowns per season in his two years under center.

The primary question here moving forward is whether Peterson himself is being phased out of the offensive attack. At 31 years old, he’s the highest-paid running back in the NFL. Set to earn $18 million in 2017, the Vikings can release Peterson without paying a single penny of that.

-- [Vikes OT] Phil Loadholt, T: Big Phil going down was the biggest blow the line had to absorb last season when you take into consideration how well Berger played in place of Sullivan. T.J. Clemmings, for all his grit, just didn't measure up, and it was noticeable for much of the season. The main obstacle to Loadholt regaining his starting spot isn't the added competition; when healthy he's miles better than Smith or Clemmings. But the 'when healthy' and age are going to be big factors for him this year as the Vikings evaluate him. He's north of 30 and returning from a torn Achilles, and how he can navigate that will be key. And even if he performs at a level equal or even marginally better than the other guys competing on the right side, cutting him is still a possibility, especially if the Vikings think that in the long term they'll be better off. Look, I never said the NFL was fair, kids.

-- Class Sleepers: NFC South
Carolina Panthers – Zack Sanchez, CB Oklahoma 5th rd. 2nd pick (#141 overall)

One of the more surprising moves this offseason was when the Panthers rescinded the franchise tag on All-Pro cornerback Josh Norman, allowing him to leave and sign with Washington. The move not only saw one of the league’s better corners depart but it made the cornerback position an even greater need on defense.

The Norman move coupled with veterans Charles Tillman and Bene’ Benwikere both coming off season ending injuries Carolina used the draft to load up on defensive backs, drafting a total of three with their five allotted selections.

With Zack Sanchez the Panthers get a playmaking corner whose penchant to gamble on defense can allow him to not only make plays but also get himself in trouble and beaten at times.

Both confident and cocky Sanchez is a ball hawk in the secondary finishing with 15 interceptions over his three seasons in Norman. Sanchez quick-feet allow him to plant and drive jumping routes and getting his hands on the ball.

Sanchez lack of size (5’11” 185 pounds), strength, coupled with his quickness make him an ideal candidate to play the nickel position on the Panthers defense. With his quickness and ability to cover in confined areas Sanchez should excel covering receivers in the middle of the field.

Playing inside will also present him with opportunities to get his hands on the ball and create turnovers something he excelled at in college.

-- Along with signing of [FA RB Chris] Johnson, Arizona also added tight end Jermaine Gresham. The 6-foot-5, 261-pound target out of the University of Oklahoma had a solid 2014 season with the Cincinnati Bengals, but knew his time was winding up with Tyler Eifert waiting in the wings.

The Bengals let Gresham walk as a free agent that offseason. Gresham knew that he had a few suitors that wanted his services, but the Cardinals knew he was must get for Palmer. Last season with Arizona, Gresham only had 18 receptions for 223 yards and a touchdown, but helped the Cardinals with blocking, which was another key to their success.

Just like Johnson, Arizona made sure to keep Gresham around, signing him to a one-year, $3.5 million deal. Gresham should be another consistent target this upcoming season for Palmer.

-- "Making the Cut"
As the Arizona Cardinals begin their quest to cut the team's roster size from 90 to 53 by the end of the preseason, we're taking a look at the key players at each position group and determining their odds of making the final cut.

Player: Tony Jefferson
Experience: 4th NFL season
Contract status: 2016-$1,671,000

2015 season in review: After starting eight games for the Cardinals in 2014, Jefferson returned to the squad and started seven contests a season ago. The former undrafted free agent out of Oklahoma saw considerable playing time as Arizona's third safety behind Tyrann Mathieu and Rashad Johnson, and practically mirrored his statistics from 2014. Because Mathieu plays two thirds of his repetitions as a cornerback, Jefferson saw enough game action to rack up 78 tackles including 2.0 sacks. The 5-foot-11 safety also reeled in two interceptions, including a pivotal pick early in the season at home to seal a victory over the Baltimore Ravens. One of Jefferson's best games came against the Detroit Lions in week five, as he notched 12 tackles, an interception and a pair of forced fumbles in the Cardinals' blowout victory.

Projected roster status: Had this piece been written three years ago, Jefferson would have been lumped into the group of undrafted free agents who would need to surprise the coaching staff in order to make the Cardinals' roster. But in 2013, that's exactly what Jefferson did, and it's a path more than 15 percent of current NFL players have taken to secure a roster spot. After playing in all 16 games for the Cardinals in each of the last three seasons, Jefferson could have left the franchise this offseason and further depleted the team's secondary, but instead, he returns to a defensive backfield where he could see even more playing time this year. Though Jefferson was only tendered a one-year offer by general manager Steve Keim this offseason, Jefferson's odds of making the team are strong at this point as he's a proven commodity who's familiar with Arizona's scheme.

Projected depth chart status: Much like in each of the last two seasons, Arizona will likely ask Mathieu to walk down into the box, play quite a bit of cornerback, and fulfill a variety of roles. What this means is that regardless of whether Jefferson is listed as a starter on a weekly basis, he will likely still receive plenty of playing time as long as he can maintain his place on the depth chart ahead of players like D.J. Swearinger and Marqui Christian. With the addition of safety Tyvon Branch through free agency this offseason, the Cardinals have three players in Branch, Mathieu and Jefferson who will likely serve in some sort of a starting capacity because of how often Arizona shifts Mathieu around. If Jefferson can stay healthy, his playing time and production should mirror what he's been able to achieve over the past two seasons.

Position group analysis: Jefferson's return to the Cardinals this season gives the team a top-of-the-depth chart type of safety who can serve as a viable last line of defense. Keim has carefully crafted the defensive backfield on the Cardinals' roster, and most of the players on the depth chart have different specialties. Branch can play nickel corner and will be expected to contribute in man coverage, Swearinger is a hard-hitter over the middle who can walk up into the box, Mathieu is the X-factor who can align anywhere and have success, and so on and so forth. Jefferson is one of the more traditional safeties on Arizona's roster, and his skill set allows defensive coordinator James Bettcher to use the players around him more effectively. While Jefferson is more likely to serve in the "last line of defense role" than some of the other safeties on the roster who have particular skills, he's a needed piece who's knowledge of the team's scheme brings stability to the secondary.

Moving forward: It's difficult to say how much of a long-term vision the Cardinals have for Jefferson because they only offered the fourth-year player a one-year contract this offseason. The one-year deal isn't even worth 50 percent of what Branch will make in his first year with the Cardinals, and Branch's salary is set to jump in 2017. Jefferson's contract situation suggests the Cardinals may have been looking elsewhere this offseason, but elected to bring back Jefferson because he offered the team a level of familiarity at a reasonable price. Though the Cardinals may like Jefferson, it's difficult for the organization to plan for the future and hand out lengthy contracts right now to non-superstars because players like Calais Campbell, Chandler Jones and Mathieu are all playing on expiring contracts and the team must determine the most economical approach to keeping their top players in the fold.

Key skill: Ball skills
Standing just 5-foot-11, Jefferson is considered undersized for the safety position in the NFL. Jefferson's lack of ideal size, and a slow 40-yard dash time at the 2013 NFL Combine likely contributed to his status as an undrafted free agent, but that hasn't stopped Jefferson from succeeding in the NFL. In college, Jefferson was regarded as an all-around safety who could cover receivers as well as play up in the box and stop the run.

Since progressing to the NFL, Jefferson has maintained that reputation, and in 2015, he enjoyed his best season against the pass. Jefferson hauled in two interceptions and also recorded five pass break ups over the course of the year. Additionally, Jefferson forced three fumbles which demonstrates his spatial awareness and knack for making a play.

Jefferson's ball skills have improved in each season, and it's pivotal for a player with his combination of size and speed to be able to track down the ball. What Jefferson lacks in traditional size and speed we see from NFL safeties, he makes up for with his propensity to shield receivers from tracking down passes by demonstrating great technical skills.

When defending bigger receivers, Jefferson almost always keeps his inside hand in a strong position to impact a receiver's ability to make a catch, which is part of the reason he's succeeded in pass defense and can continue to do so this season.

Overall value: If Jefferson plays at the same level he did down the stretch run of the 2015 season, Arizona is set to reap the benefits of bringing him back on a one-year contract for just $1,671,000. Though it's likely Jefferson didn't command a great deal of outside interest this offseason, sometimes players slip under the radar and his production appears to have done so for the Cardinals. While Jefferson will likely never be a Pro Bowl-caliber player or merit consideration for a long-term contract from a team, Jefferson is a role player who has done his part to keep the Cardinals' secondary afloat, especially during the last two seasons. If Jefferson ends up playing behind both Branch and Mathieu, it's likely he'll rotate in as the third safety, ahead of a player like Swearinger who received the same contract offer from Arizona this offseason. As we've discussed, the third and even the fourth safety see plenty of playing time in the Cardinals' defense, so if Jefferson is mostly productive in his reps, Arizona will have secured him for what could feel like a bargain by season's end.

-- [49ers] Tight ends: The 49ers are thrilled about Vance McDonald taking his game as an athletic pass-catcher to the next level. After Vernon Davis was traded last November, McDonald was a big-time target for Gabbert and will pick up where he left off. It's appropriate that the 49ers re-signed Garrett Celek, because he'll need to be what his older brother Brent was for Kelly: the trusty, in-line run blocker of this group. Blake Bell, once regarded in the same light as McDonald under the previous coaching regime, is likely to be bulldozed off the roster. Converted fullback Bruce Miller offers Kelly more versatility behind McDonald and Celek. This is Kelly's strongest offensive unit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.