ADVERTISEMENT

NEW SCHEDULE...

Senior Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 1, 2003
Report: OU to open Big 12 play vs. K-State, Red River in Dallas
COLOR ME SCEPTICAL...Senior Sooner...

NORMAN, Okla. — The Sooners will now open the 2020 Big 12 Conference season against Kansas State on Sept. 26, according to a report by Brett McMurphy of Stadium. OU-Texas is also still scheduled for Oct. 10 in Dallas, per McMurphy.

The start of the season can be delayed to as late as Oct. 10, with the slate concluding on Dec. 12 and the Big 12 Championship set for Dec. 19, McMurphy reports. The full schedule is expected to be released at 11 a.m. CT, as Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby is meeting with the media.

OU was previously set to open up league play against Baylor on Oct. 3. Under the old schedule, it wouldn't have hosted Kansas State until Nov. 14.

While the Big 12 is moving forward with a season, both the Big Ten and Pac-12 formally announced Tuesday that they were postponing the fall football season amid COVID-19 concerns. That left the ACC, Big 12 and SEC as the remaining Power 5 conferences still intending on moving forward.

The Big 12 presidents held a meeting Tuesday night to discuss their immediate future in regards to fall sports in 2020. The college football season ultimately likely hinged on the Big 12's decision. After wrapping up Tuesday night’s meeting, Big 12 presidents agreed to continue pursing a fall football season.

This news is in stark contrast to what transpired Tuesday afternoon when both the Big Ten and Pac-12 decided to postpone football until spring at the earliest.

Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR
Three bye weeks in the schedule. 9/19, 10/17, & 11/14. With the potential to add a 4th bye if they back up the championship game to 12/17.

The conference has agreed that mandated COVID testing will be 3 times per week for all teams, including the teams that are Out of Conference games.

Tee it up. If we finish, cool. If not, well at least they tried.

Now let's wait and see what games the season ticket holders are allowed to attend. I'm told that the stadium is aimed at 25% occupancy. This is going to get ugly with regards to donations, etc. I am prepared to cancel my season tickets altogether if I don't get a reasonable deal. One thing Joe C. has brought to OU is greed in his approach to raising money.

Reactions: iasooner1
JC should earn his pay and work out a safe and massive deal and get Army back in Norman for our lone oc game somehow
They're not going to give up the PPV game. That's a serious money maker in a year when it's crucial. And I believe the conference guidelines say that the NC game has to be at home.

Now let's wait and see what games the season ticket holders are allowed to attend. I'm told that the stadium is aimed at 25% occupancy. This is going to get ugly with regards to donations, etc. I am prepared to cancel my season tickets altogether if I don't get a reasonable deal. One thing Joe C. has brought to OU is greed in his approach to raising money.
Mine is a Done Deal, SS...It was Simple to do, online, and I've already received the Confirmations of Cancellation of my Tickets, and a full refund of my DONOR FEES. I was assured there would be no loss of my Priority Points and I'd still have the same seats, (4 on the 50, + 4 other 'not so hot' seats). Color Me RELIEVED! I am far too 'Senior' to deal with all of these Ifs, Buts, and Maybes...When buying tickets and going to games got to be more of a problem, than a pleasure, the decision for opting out was easier than I'd expected. I'd be surprised if there is not a lonnnnng line forming, waiting for their refunds, too! I still don't believe we will have a season, but, if we do, I hope we go undefeated and un-imperiled... BOOMER!

Mine is a Done Deal, SS...It was Simple to do, online, and I've already received the Confirmations of Cancellation of my Tickets, and a full refund of my DONOR FEES. I was assured there would be no loss of my Priority Points and I'd still have the same seats, (4 on the 50, + 4 other 'not so hot' seats). Color Me RELIEVED! I am far too 'Senior' to deal with all of these Ifs, Buts, and Maybes...When buying tickets and going to games got to be more of a problem, than a pleasure, the decision for opting out was easier than I'd expected. I'd be surprised if there is not a lonnnnng line forming, waiting for their refunds, too! I still don't believe we will have a season, but, if we do, I hope we go undefeated and un-imperiled... BOOMER!
I was hoping to attend a few games this year. I'm waiting to see which games they tell me I can attend.

As I said in another thread, we turned our 4 season tickets back in and donated the value to the athletic dept. relief fund.There is no way Id go to a game under current conditions.

Reactions: CTOkie
As I said in another thread, we turned our 4 season tickets back in and donated the value to the athletic dept. relief fund.There is no way Id go to a game under current conditions.

I'm sure you have your reasons. But for me, being that they are outdoor events and at 25% occupancy there will be a lot of wide open spaces. No crowds, food orders for pick up at designated ststions, parking easily available, less traffic, plus you can get a beer at the game. This year might be the best time to go!

I'm sure you have your reasons. But for me, being that they are outdoor events and at 25% occupancy there will be a lot of wide open spaces. No crowds, food orders for pick up at designated ststions, parking easily available, less traffic, plus you can get a beer at the game. This year might be the best time to go!
It's a very different decision from somebody who's on the sunny side of 40, and somebody who's age begins with a 6 or higher. The threat to a young person is pretty small, generally. If you have it, you normally recover pretty quickly. When you are on Social Security, the risk is substantially higher.

I've been a one man company for almost 40 years, and I've continued to work cautiously with a mask. I go into two or three houses a day. I turned 69 a week ago. I've had a heart attack, have stage 3 kidney disease, and have dealt with more than 100 kidney stones, and will not attend any large crowd events. I do go out to eat, though mostly drive through. And I do go shopping a little. I've been fortunate in Texas that my pest control business is considered an essential service, so I am legally allowed to work.

Those are my choices. Everybody ought to make their own. And their choices shouldn't be selfish. They ought to wear a mask when out, most of the time.

I just heard from a customer this morning that her son, (an OU grad) tested positive two days ago, so I won't be going over there, anytime soon. That's the only person I've met that I know of testing positive. But it is going to get worse.

But I'm not going to worry about it. I'm a believer. If God takes me home, I'm okay with that. And if He doesn't, I'm okay with that. I'd rather stay around for a while. Everybody ought to make their choice with the rest of us in mind. Not confined by it, but unselfishly. And COVID isn't going away. We're going to have to live with it, and some of the mortality that accompanies it. I just don't want some politico in DC telling me how I ought to think, based on how things are where they are, and based on how the politics affects them. And I don't trust those who claim to have science on their side, but change their mind about that on a monthly basis, if not more frequently.

Well said, Plaino.
My game plan now, as I approach 72 by year's end, is to adhere to my own safe measures, to enjoy what I have without sports, or dining out, going to social events, etc.
And it does me good to avoid watching CNN, MSNBC, ABC and Fox News. They only help create division within our population and project presidential candidates as living gods, while sometimes raising my blood pressure when I view these propaganda-pimping "news" networks. I can't drink the Kool-Aid they serve any longer.
I'm retired, so my own quarantine has lasted 7-8 months. I can talk to neighbors when doing yard work or walking my dog, visit local stores, make doctor appointments, watch history channels, the DIY Network and Netflix, playing chess....and blessing everyone here on the message board with my keen, analytical insight.
In three weeks, we are off to Bar Harbor Maine in an area that has succeeded in controlling the pandemic and as of July 3rd, has reopened almost completely.
I can live without a lot of things, but not my annual Bar Harbor trip every September.

Plaino, I think you hit the right accord. Everyone should do what they should do. Stay in their own lanes. What I read these days, are some people telling other people certain that certain functions in life shouldn't take place or shouldn't happen because they no longer feel safe enough to enjoy them. Then they turn around and tell people that 'you're selfish for doing it'. That's just wrong. Sports is one of them, in this case specifically College Football. So if you feel comfortable attending a game or any event, you should be able to go w/o anyone tossing disparaging comments towards you or the event. If you don't feel good about yourself attending the game or event, then you should by all means refrain from attending.

Each of us have been educated enough on Covid to be able to make informed decisions on how we go about our lives. What works for me may not work for others, and vice versa.

I'm approaching retirement in a couple of years, so while I hate it, I wear a mask in every store I visit and (as stupid as it sounds and actually is) I wear them when entering a restaurant until seated. I have NEVER witnessed anyone in any Houston retail store not wearing a mask. Never. But if I did, I would not approach them but rather either report them or leave. Probably just leave. But I sure wouldn't look for confrontation.

BTW, Joe & OU will not have any issue filling those seats @ a 25% clip of the normal crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT