ADVERTISEMENT

New DC?

soonermade

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2001
Would the new DC be in place to coach during either the bowl game this season or the playoffs?

Wouldn't that be something if OU makes it into the playoffs and a new DC turns our defense into a force to be reckoned with and we go on to win the NC?

Good question.

I believe we would have to fire another coach first to free up a spot as there is a limit of number of coaches you have (NCAA rule); that's why Bob Diaco couldn't do ANY coaching before M. Stoops was fired.

If our target is on 'Bama's staff, don't count on bringing him early enough to coach in our post-season; he might recruit for us, while coaching out the CFP to completion.

Reactions: iasooner1
The best thing for OU at this point is to beat texass in the CCG and finish 5th in the committee poll, then go on to beat someone like LSU in a good bowl game. All the while, landing a great new DC who comes in and cleans house on that side of the staff.
Without a really stout D next season, it could be a long year.

The best thing for OU at this point is to beat texass in the CCG and finish 5th in the committee poll, then go on to beat someone like LSU in a good bowl game. All the while, landing a great new DC who comes in and cleans house on that side of the staff.
Without a really stout D next season, it could be a long year.
Honestly, I'm bracing for a "rebuilding" year next year while we sort the D out. 8-4 would be a reasonable # of wins, short of finding another miraculous QB and several O-Line replacements. Time for Riley to become a HC, and not just a genius OC -- he has to coach a complete game, not just 1 side of the ball.

Rush, you need to look at the depth chart and commitment list. We are set at QB for a while and have tons of talent at OL. OU's future looks very, very bright if we can sign a really good DC.

Don't forget, Murray wasn't even named the starting QB until the last minute.

Reactions: mullman and JoeOU1
If you're expecting any new DC to come in and make OU's defense a "force to be reckoned with", I don't believe that's a realistic expectation.
What OU needs is a defense that can make clutch plays and clutch stops in critical situations, more of a containment style than a shut-down style. In the Big 12, I don't believe it's possible to have a defense that holds opponents to 21-24 points per game consistently.
What will always bother me is seeing two "Mount Rushmore" quarterbacks in Mayfield and Murray come through the program and leave without a national championship because of such disarray on defense. Again, if OU could have have just an average defense these past two years we would likely be seeing back-to-back championships right now. Case in point: Riley's teams have lost 3 games....and scored 31, 48 and 45 points in those 3 losses....and had it not been for a West Virginia player losing his composure last night, it might have been 59 points and a loss.

I don’t expect a shut down defense, but I do fully expect a D that can pressure and sack the QB every play of the game while being a defense that is able to stop the Big XII offenses.

Honestly, I'm bracing for a "rebuilding" year next year while we sort the D out. 8-4 would be a reasonable # of wins, short of finding another miraculous QB and several O-Line replacements. Time for Riley to become a HC, and not just a genius OC -- he has to coach a complete game, not just 1 side of the ball.
Yeah, I get that, and hope we don't see the step-back, but also have seen Baker and Kyler carry this team the last 2 years -- back-to-back "special" QBs; can we really be lucky enough to have 3 in a row? I hope so. But, much will depend on breaking in that new O-Line. Our current line is great; all the new guys will take some time to learn to play with each other. But Coach B is one of the best, so no matter who plays I always trust they will be good.

I don’t expect a shut down defense, but I do fully expect a D that can pressure and sack the QB every play of the game while being a defense that is able to stop the Big XII offenses.
Agree on pressuring the QB 100 %. Why it isn't part of OU's defensive "DNA" is a mystery, and I believe it has cost OU dearly at times.
But again, I think it's more realistic to just slow down Big 12 offenses. Losses like the three we have seen these past two years should NOT have happened. OU's defense has made average teams look like offensive juggernauts.

Wish all you want, but McNeil will be the DC. It’s unlikely coach Riley will replace him with just a few games under his belt and MS’s players. I know it sux but...........

If you're expecting any new DC to come in and make OU's defense a "force to be reckoned with", I don't believe that's a realistic expectation.
What OU needs is a defense that can make clutch plays and clutch stops in critical situations, more of a containment style than a shut-down style. In the Big 12, I don't believe it's possible to have a defense that holds opponents to 21-24 points per game consistently.
What will always bother me is seeing two "Mount Rushmore" quarterbacks in Mayfield and Murray come through the program and leave without a national championship because of such disarray on defense. Again, if OU could have have just an average defense these past two years we would likely be seeing back-to-back championships right now. Case in point: Riley's teams have lost 3 games....and scored 31, 48 and 45 points in those 3 losses....and had it not been for a West Virginia player losing his composure last night, it might have been 59 points and a loss.

I couldn't disagree more. This "containment" defensive strategy has been a scapegoat for years now. Its the same philosophy Mike Stoops employed. The majority of the big 12 teams are not offensive juggernauts. Iowa State, Kansas, Kstate, Baylor, and TCU are not programs that we should expect to score more than 30 points against us. This laying off the ball 10 yards and rushing 3 has not been too kind to OU. I want a DC that will get in there and have a little aggressiveness about him. No more zone the entire game and just hoping the other team will make a mistake as we let them dink and dunk all the way down the field.

Reactions: 8085sooner
I couldn't disagree more. This "containment" defensive strategy has been a scapegoat for years now. Its the same philosophy Mike Stoops employed. The majority of the big 12 teams are not offensive juggernauts. Iowa State, Kansas, Kstate, Baylor, and TCU are not programs that we should expect to score more than 30 points against us. This laying off the ball 10 yards and rushing 3 has not been too kind to OU. I want a DC that will get in there and have a little aggressiveness about him. No more zone the entire game and just hoping the other team will make a mistake as we let them dink and dunk all the way down the field.
I haven’t seen any “containment” by OU defensively in years, with or without Mike Stoops.

Good question.

I believe we would have to fire another coach first to free up a spot as there is a limit of number of coaches you have (NCAA rule); that's why Bob Diaco couldn't do ANY coaching before M. Stoops was fired.

If our target is on 'Bama's staff, don't count on bringing him early enough to coach in our post-season; he might recruit for us, while coaching out the CFP to completion.

Picking someone to let go should not be a problem! Plenty to choose from.

Reactions: Rush2112Sooner
I haven’t seen any “containment” by OU defensively in years, with or without Mike Stoops.

Really? I believe it was his entire defensive philosophy. Remember when he said we just have to expect to give up a lot of points to big 12 teams? Remember the Tech and Baylor games? I'm personally sick of this mentality

We just need to generate a pass rush with 4 linemen...then maybe we can move to the good side of average.
More than that. Corners are not only smallish, they are average at best in speed. If you're going to play that small you better have some wheels. How do they let receivers come off the line without any redirection and then let them beat you down the field for 75 yd TDs.

Really? I believe it was his entire defensive philosophy. Remember when he said we just have to expect to give up a lot of points to big 12 teams? Remember the Tech and Baylor games? I'm personally sick of this mentality
Mike may have preached it. The scores don't reflect it.

Reactions: oucwboy
Every game I watch the talking heads take jabs at the Big 12 Defenses, even on social media the League is called trash, flag football league etc etc. The Big 12 defenses have become a laughingstock nationally. If that does not motivate every team especially OU to get better on that side of the ball then nothing else will.

Just naming him would be good enough or if we have the deal in place at least Riley could start telling the recruits. Although he won’t be able to do anything for us, he could tell Lincoln about guys to go after

Simply put... we do not have the talent on the team to do this. And at this point, there is no relief coming. So far, OU has been able to out gun their opponent. This will have to continue.

Bob Stoops never had an answer for the spread. That's why he brought Leach to OU. His lack of understanding on how to defend the spread, has been ingrained in ever coach at OU.

OU has had some great edge rushers and worse yet, Roy Williams, a once in a generation hybrid, Bob and Mike have tried to duplicate, his ability. The bend don't break, is nothing more then a prevent defense. A DB that is lined up 30 feet back, 1st move should NEVER be a back pedal. He has about a 1.2 seconds to determine if he needs to back pedal, bump, shadow, push out, push in or release.

Bob Stoops never had an answer for the spread. That's why he brought Leach to OU. His lack of understanding on how to defend the spread, has been ingrained in ever coach at OU.

OU has had some great edge rushers and worse yet, Roy Williams, a once in a generation hybrid, Bob and Mike have tried to duplicate, his ability. The bend don't break, is nothing more then a prevent defense. A DB that is lined up 30 feet back, 1st move should NEVER be a back pedal. He has about a 1.2 seconds to determine if he needs to back pedal, bump, shadow, push out, push in or release.

I have never heard, or observed, a containment defense being regarded as a prevent defense.
Simply put, what I see as a containment defense is one that keeps opposing teams outside the red zone and one that prevents long sustained scoring drives.
The days of a shut down defense are fading fast. If one wants to see a great example of a shut down defense, watch or read about Oklahoma's 27-0 win over Nebraska in 1973......or OU's 14-7 win over Texas in 1985. I don't see OU ever duplicating those feats again unless Bucknell is scheduled.

More than that. Corners are not only smallish, they are average at best in speed. If you're going to play that small you better have some wheels. How do they let receivers come off the line without any redirection and then let them beat you down the field for 75 yd TDs.
Tre Brown's speed is "average at best?" o_O

Reactions: thatdude35
Look at the talent

Dline all have poor technique. That's coaching and player development.
LB, one stiff, one small that takes bad angles and one hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game
DB, 2 have decent speed and hips but young, 1 is small but actually impressed me last week.
One is young and I can't tell if he is slow and bad hips or just a complete bust. Should never play safety again
Safety, one has talent and will develop into a good player, maybe great. Others, to small,to young, to slow or just have not learned the speed of the game

Get real deal DE, not OLB
Get athletic LB with some size.
5'8-5'10, is not the standard for DB and Safeties.

Look at the talent

Dline all have poor technique. That's coaching and player development.
LB, one stiff, one small that takes bad angles and one hasn't adjusted to the speed of the game
DB, 2 have decent speed and hips but young, 1 is small but actually impressed me last week.
One is young and I can't tell if he is slow and bad hips or just a complete bust. Should never play safety again
Safety, one has talent and will develop into a good player, maybe great. Others, to small,to young, to slow or just have not learned the speed of the game

Get real deal DE, not OLB
Get athletic LB with some size.
5'8-5'10, is not the standard for DB and Safeties.

I agree with everything you said. Our Dline has really bad technique. On the young safety that you mentioned I think he has bad hips. He doesn't get his hips flipped very well and seems very stiff in the hips.

If OU and Alabama end up playing the first round, and Golding is coming to OU as rumored, will he coach against the Sooners? If so, that would be weird especially if Golding is bringing the DB coach with him.

Reactions: veritas59
I agree with everything you said. Our Dline has really bad technique. On the young safety that you mentioned I think he has bad hips. He doesn't get his hips flipped very well and seems very stiff in the hips.
Its all coaching, everyone of those guys have "good hips" they are all athletes or they wouldnt be playing big boy football. Its all player development, They dont have the proper coaching. Cooks has not developed a decent DB since he has been here. If anything they all get worse.

Again, if OU could have have just an average defense these past two years we would likely be seeing back-to-back championships right now. Case in point: Riley's teams have lost 3 games....and scored 31, 48 and 45 points in those 3 losses....and had it not been for a West Virginia player losing his composure last night, it might have been 59 points and a loss.

Year 1 expectations realistically: Top 50 Total Defense! 3 Big 12 teams managed this year, TCU, IA-ST, WVU. Our talent levels exceed all of them. After completing our regular season this year we were tanked 109th TotalD, 127th PassD, 64th RushD. New class of taller S/CBs, Michael Thompson returns, Redmon + scheme, leadership+ aggressive attitude changes. Likely late recruiting home run signings with big name DC.

Year 2..No telling with another year of player development, and now top tier recruiting attention on the D side. Very possibly top 20-30, mostly attributable to aggressive play, turnovers and defensive scoring! BIG12 style however can offer OP freq drive opportunities. Recruiting to defensive system now in place.

Year 3-Beyond: Taller, experienced CBs & S in place, with depth. Fast LBs able to cover/tackle in space, blitz effectively. Disruptive DTs control run game, collapse pocket, tall enough to occasionally bat down passes, DEs much faster to edge, pressure rush. Overall, pressure defense, QBs have little time to find receivers. Defense forces (tries) offense into its style of play they want to play. Defense is multi still.

Year 1 expectations realistically: Top 50 Total Defense! 3 Big 12 teams managed this year, TCU, IA-ST, WVU. Our talent levels exceed all of them. After completing our regular season this year we were tanked 109th TotalD, 127th PassD, 64th RushD. New class of taller S/CBs, Michael Thompson returns, Redmon + scheme, leadership+ aggressive attitude changes. Likely late recruiting home run signings with big name DC.

Year 2..No telling with another year of player development, and now top tier recruiting attention on the D side. Very possibly top 20-30, mostly attributable to aggressive play, turnovers and defensive scoring! BIG12 style however can offer OP freq drive opportunities. Recruiting to defensive system now in place.

Year 3-Beyond: Taller, experienced CBs & S in place, with depth. Fast LBs able to cover/tackle in space, blitz effectively. Disruptive DTs control run game, collapse pocket, tall enough to occasionally bat down passes, DEs much faster to edge, pressure rush. Overall, pressure defense, QBs have little time to find receivers. Defense forces (tries) offense into its style of play they want to play. Defense is multi still.

This would be a dream come through as long as our offense stays sharp. Great post.

Screw it lets be the first to hire an OC as our DC, play a spread Defense aka Ninja defense. All offense all the time baby!!

ADVERTISEMENT