ADVERTISEMENT

New DB coach from Notre Dame

The news is suggesting that Cooks will coach the entire defensive back field so where who does Mike Stoops coach?

giphy.gif

Notre Dame boards not thrilled with this development...that's a good thing.
smile.r191677.gif

Close to $1,000,000 is a lot to pay for a position coach. Does this hire, if true ,put Mike out the door?

Originally posted by WP76:
Notre Dame boards not thrilled with this development...that's a good thing.
smile.r191677.gif
Yep, we're not happy. He was a great recruiter for ND and a classy guy. Congrats.

Its ok, we don't in turn feel sorry for guy's like you who's brother is your father. Enjoy that Banjo music. Yeee Hawwww!

Originally posted by BGI User 1596:
Its ok, we don't in turn feel sorry for guy's like you who's brother is your father. Enjoy that Banjo music. Yeee Hawwww!

My brother-daddy taught me that possessive pronouns never have an apostrophe.

For those that haven't read this - this is the brief bio from the ND Rivals site. Another Iowa safety on the staff. A lot of people on this board also wanting us to do a better job recruiting in Dallas. Well, here's the guy that can help get that done.

-

Upon accepting the Notre Dame head coaching job in December 2009, Brian Kelly hired Cooks from the University of Wisconsin to be his outside linebackers coach. The following year Cooks moved to the defensive backfield - where he was a former All-Big Ten safety at Iowa and played in the NFL - to instruct the cornerbacks. In 2012-13 he was named co-defensive coordinator to Bob Diaco (who became head coach at Connecticut last season) and in 2014, with Brian VanGorder hired as the new defensive coordinator, Cooks was tabbed to handle the entire secondary but no longer had the co-coordinator title.

Last winter, Rivals.com named Cooks and Irish offensive line coach Harry Hiestand among its top 25 recruiters in the country. The recognition for Cooks came on the strength of Notre Dame signing three players from Texas, lineman Grant Blankenship, linebacker Kolin Hill and cornerback Nick Watkins.

"We got three players from Texas, all of them offered by the University of Texas," said Kelly on 2014 Signing Day. "I don't know if that happens very often, but we're very fortunate and it's a great area for us."

Thanks, Don. I'm trying to learn English.

I thought "iterate" had the same meaning as "reiterate". It does not. If you say the same thing over and over today, you iterate. If you resume the same habit tomorrow, you reiterate.

Most U.S. Nationals don't know the difference between a zero and an O. I blame a costly, miserable and failing public education system. I welcome your correcting any errors you see here. I abuse three languages.

Have you watched the ND secondary over the past five seasons. Our defensive backs can't turn and locate the ball in the air if their lives depended on it. We have a five star and a 6.0 four star playing safety and both were benched last year. Coach Cooks is an excellent recruiter and quality man, but he has a hard time developing players. I've said it there and I'm saying it here; I'm excited about the change personally. Hope you guys the best of luck next season.

I hope Cooks stresses good tackling.....it sure got old watching opposing receivers catch 2 yard passes and then break free for 10 yard gains....or more.
I cannot imagine OU having too much difficulty replacing Hayes and Wilson. It seemed that for every good play they turned in, they allowed two plays that burned them.

Originally posted by CTOkie:
I hope Cooks stresses good tackling.....it sure got old watching opposing receivers catch 2 yard passes and then break free for 10 yard gains....or more.
I cannot imagine OU having too much difficulty replacing Hayes and Wilson. It seemed that for every good play they turned in, they allowed two plays that burned them.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Folks, we have a winner!

This is my greatest concern with our DBs. We've got talented guys who can cover, so how did they forget to tackle? If it's true that Cooks is our guy, I hope tackling is a point of emphasis this spring and summer.

ADVERTISEMENT