ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska

Nebraska is the only team in CFB that ever rendered its own "death penalty" upon itself by leaving the Big 12.
In leaving the Big 12, Nebraska took away its great rivalry with OU, one that was intense, but classy as well. The teams, coaches and fans of both teams truly respected each other.
All I can say to Nebraska fans now is "thanks for the memories" to a team that achieved a 356-69-5 record under Devaney and Osborne with 5 national championships from 1967-1997 (30 years).
Interesting to note that Nebraska had a 16-3-3 dominance over OU up until 1942, then OU won 16 straight before Nebraska broke OU's 74-game conference winning streak in 1959 by way of a blocked quick-kick....25-21.
The two teams won 74 of 89 Big 8 championships between them with Nebraska winning 41 and OU winning 33.
The scheduled 2021 game between them will be in Norman to mark the 50th anniversary of the 1971 Game of the Century. I would love to see a 35-31 OU win.

Here’s the window to get them back in the XII.

need to band together and save these guys from their Hell in every way.

make it happen.

I would welcome the Huskers back in a heartbeat. That said, your posts over there on the Husker board are as annoying as hell. Give it a rest. They aren't coming back to the Big 12.

Reactions: iasooner1
Like a scratchy LP record that Longhorn Network. What a waste of space.

Huskers can toil and toil some more playing in a hapless conference division. They had to get all butt hurt and jump blindfolded into the Big10...losing all identity. Their rival is now the Hawkeyes in the battle for the best sweet corn lol.

Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR
The bugeaters bolted and now are teetering on brink of mediocrity. Of course they need to move back to try and get a foothold they lost. Not sure I would welcome them back.
I definitely agree with your statement. But them coming back is a win for everyone, we need more brand names in this conference, and though the Husker's name has been tarnished they can rebuild here. They wont get that shot in the big Tin, which is why I NEVER want Oklahoma to head north to that conference

I was extremely harsh on NU when they left. In my opinion the turned tail and ran from Texas rather than stand and compete. I understood CU because they were not really a cultural fit in the Big 12. A&M is a no-brainer and we will pay the price for their SEC membership. Its killing Texas. Mizzou panicked. They have no business being in the SEC. Having said that Id welcome NU back just because it would help make the conference whole again.

We should appreciate what the rivalry with Nebraska once was, a rivalry that was intense but classy.
With Texas, the rivalry is intense, but will never be classy.

I met many old school Husker fans and really enjoyed their company and knowledge. The new school Husker fans are not the same however. Very disrespectful and that is a shame. They have had some real downturns on many levels. They can stay where they are.

I met many old school Husker fans and really enjoyed their company and knowledge. The new school Husker fans are not the same however. Very disrespectful and that is a shame. They have had some real downturns on many levels. They can stay where they are.

I doubt you have ever lived in Nebraska. Old school, new school there isn't a difference in my opinion. When I was growing up in western Nebraska, most of the people in my hometown didn't care what college football you rooted for. We had Sooner fans, Nebraska fans, and CU Buff fans in my hometown. When I moved to northeast Nebraska things changed. Caught nothing but crap from a lot of people up here about being a Sooner fan. Still to this day if OU loses some idiot will make a comment towards me about the Sooners. If I say something about the Cornflakes sucking it up and losing to Purdue they get mad, but yet I am expected to take their crap all of the time. That's why I hope their football program dies a slow death.

I doubt you have ever lived in Nebraska. Old school, new school there isn't a difference in my opinion. When I was growing up in western Nebraska, most of the people in my hometown didn't care what college football you rooted for. We had Sooner fans, Nebraska fans, and CU Buff fans in my hometown. When I moved to northeast Nebraska things changed. Caught nothing but crap from a lot of people up here about being a Sooner fan. Still to this day if OU loses some idiot will make a comment towards me about the Sooners. If I say something about the Cornflakes sucking it up and losing to Purdue they get mad, but yet I am expected to take their crap all of the time. That's why I hope their football program dies a slow death.

Exactly. The only people who think Nebby fans are classy are the ones who don't deal with them on a daily basis. Not that I give a shyte about classy; just don't make them out to be something that they're not.

Besides, I kind of prefer trashy....

There are fewer and fewer fans today that I consider classy.
Sportsmanship, as I'm reminded often, is now considered "old school".
Oklahoma, like all the other schools, has its share of azzhole fans.....and in Nebraska's case, it's somewhat understandable as that once great program is in a free fall and has been for a long time.

I was being nice because I have had good experiences with Husker fans, but no I have not lived in land of corn and big ears. I live in KU and KState land which can be laughable.

I believe part of that disrespect generally in the Big Ten. That sort of behavior can be contagious. In the heartland, we believe in courtesy, and that is reflected in the way that OU fans treat visitors. There are few things I am more proud of, than the kind of hosts that OU fans seem to always be. Twenty years ago, Alabama did a home and home, and both fan bases were praiseworthy of each other's fan bases. It was the same with Nebraska.

Sadly, I wonder if either is the case these days.

Exactly. The only people who think Nebby fans are classy are the ones who don't deal with them on a daily basis. Not that I give a shyte about classy; just don't make them out to be something that they're not.

Besides, I kind of prefer trashy....
I just want Cornstinker fans to admit that they aren't any better than anyone else. My students do like my OU fans welcome no others allowed sign in my library though.

Read some of these responses and you'll understand why I don't want them back.

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/threads/nebraskans-for-oklahoma.273467/#post-6179112
lol, those are hilarious

Living here in Omaha, most Nebby fans I know are respectful of OU, most wish they had the “old days” back, an OU rival and 8-10 win seasons. Back in the mid-90s, you couldn’t walk 5 feet without seeing someone sporting NU gear. 90% of those “fans” have abandoned their team. Only the die-hards remain, and they can’t stomach watching the games any more. Those 10% are those respondents on the NU boards. Bitter, delusional d-bags.

Rush, think about how OU fans felt during the 90's That's what longtime Husker fans, who remember greatness for 40 years, feel about the way things are now. OU fans were as bad or worse. A smaller stadium failed to sell out for multiple seasons. Nebish still shows up. And if they're patient, I believe they have the right coach to at least make them competitive in the East. It killed their recruiting in Texas to leave the Big XII. They used to get many great players from New Jersey. Rutgers joining their new conference put a big hurt on that. And they used to get a fair share of terrific players from Cali.

They are never going to get enough players from the home state to be great. With their recruiting lines to three huge states all but gone, they have a long way to go to be attractive to anybody else again. Their administration is the biggest cause of their falling into mediocrity.

Rush, think about how OU fans felt during the 90's That's what longtime Husker fans, who remember greatness for 40 years, feel about the way things are now. OU fans were as bad or worse. A smaller stadium failed to sell out for multiple seasons. Nebish still shows up. And if they're patient, I believe they have the right coach to at least make them competitive in the East. It killed their recruiting in Texas to leave the Big XII. They used to get many great players from New Jersey. Rutgers joining their new conference put a big hurt on that. And they used to get a fair share of terrific players from Cali.

They are never going to get enough players from the home state to be great. With their recruiting lines to three huge states all but gone, they have a long way to go to be attractive to anybody else again. Their administration is the biggest cause of their falling into mediocrity.

Not to mention several highly questionable coaching hires. Callahan was a joke

Good post, Plaino.
While Rutgers seems to be the ugly duckling on the CFB landscape, Coach Schiano returns for his second gig and right now has assembled a 22nd ranked recruiting class that includes two 4-star players from NJ, along with 4 players from Florida, 3 from Ohio and two from Pennsylvania. Looks like Schiano is hitting the ground running.
As you stated, this may not be good news for Nebraska.
Saw many Rutgers games from 1962-67 when my late brother attended RU. Most memorable was the 1967 game at West Point just before my brother left for Vietnam.
I want Nebraska to return to relevance again, whether or not it ever plays OU or rejoins the Big 12. It would be good for CFB. Scott Frost so far has a top 20 recruiting class with only 3 from instate, one from South Dakota and one from Utah out of 16 commitments so far....but with 7 from the south (Texas, Florida, Mississippi and Georgia).

I don’t hold grudges. Nebraska screwed the pooch. The Huskers leaving the B12 hurt the conference, IMO. No doubt they aren’t as respected today as they were when they bolted to the Big 10, but the B12 needs two more teams and there aren’t many schools available that could add more than Nebraska....even as shitty as they have become. They are in the region, they have a history....check out the program’s total wins...., and I would enjoy kicking their ass every year for the rest of my life. Like I say, I don’t hold a grudge, but I am selfish. Boomer!

I hear you. Late 90's was rough for us. Fans jumping off the bandwagon is not unique to any team.

I would add 1 point to the "sellout" streak at NU: corporations have been buying up unsold tickets for Nebraska games for years now. It's about as fake of a streak that you can have. There are plenty of empty seats especially in those early games playing directional schools.

The other thing hurting NU is the proliferation of TV, sports channels, social media, etc. They no longer have the "name brand exposure" to lean on. Every school now gets on TV. So, as teams like UCF (in better areas) gain exposure, it takes away from traditional "blue bloods" like Nebraska.

Reactions: Oklabama
I don’t hold grudges. Nebraska screwed the pooch. The Huskers leaving the B12 hurt the conference, IMO. No doubt they aren’t as respected today as they were when they bolted to the Big 10, but the B12 needs two more teams and there aren’t many schools available that could add more than Nebraska....even as shitty as they have become. They are in the region, they have a history....check out the program’s total wins...., and I would enjoy kicking their ass every year for the rest of my life. Like I say, I don’t hold a grudge, but I am selfish. Boomer!

But Dude, they peed on your rug, man!

Bottom line on this as far as I'm concerned:
The Big 12 could have been so much more relevant against the likes of the SEC and Big 10 had ATM and Nebraska stayed in the conference.
Missouri and Colorado were disposable.
Thank you, Texas....for adding another reason for me to despise you.

ADVERTISEMENT