ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA College World Series

We had to use our closer in the 7th, but he got 8 outs with fewer than 50 pitches. We need something more than two reliable starters and a closer to win this thing. Play the winner of UT and ND on Sunday. Like the women, win there and you're in the driver's seat. OUr starter in game 2 of the regional and game 2 of the Supers had a rough outing in the 7th in relief today. As long as we go every other day, the pitching might last. But after Nicklaus' grand slam made it 12-3 in the 3rd, we didn't score again until the 9th. A&M has some gas in the back of their bullpen. The guy was throwing 98 while their head coach was worrying that something was wrong with his arm. But now they go to the loser's bracket. Unlike the women's bracket, there is no cross over. So OUr side of the bracket is OU, A&M, UT and ND until the finals.

We had to use our closer in the 7th, but he got 8 outs with fewer than 50 pitches. We need something more than two reliable starters and a closer to win this thing. Play the winner of UT and ND on Sunday. Like the women, win there and you're in the driver's seat. OUr starter in game 2 of the regional and game 2 of the Supers had a rough outing in the 7th in relief today. As long as we go every other day, the pitching might last. But after Nicklaus' grand slam made it 12-3 in the 3rd, we didn't score again until the 9th. A&M has some gas in the back of their bullpen. The guy was throwing 98 while their head coach was worrying that something was wrong with his arm. But now they go to the loser's bracket. Unlike the women's bracket, there is no cross over. So OUr side of the bracket is OU, A&M, UT and ND until the finals.
I appreciate the ESPN analysis. We spanked them mofos brother. 😉

Why do I sense disappointment in your post?

Enjoy the solid win. It was remarkable.

I don’t think its disappointment just more pointing out anytime we go to the bullpen it becomes shaky. It was a problem all season for the most part.

with that being said the OU team is not much different than any of the other teams in this CWS. The trick is having a starter that can go deep into the game but in these days that seems to be 6 innings. I loved seeing OU win today over a team that every sports writer in America being picked by most to walk through this side of the bracket. This OU team is just on fire and keeps beating the odds. A win Sunday puts them in a great spot.

BTW S22 good to see you posting again.

As much as I dislike ND I dislike Texas even more so go Irish. The other side of the bracket almost guarantees a SEC team will reach the title game and if OU is to make it that far I hope we play Stanford for the title to hear all the excuses from that side of the bracket by SEC fans.

Living here in Arkansas ( my wife is a Hog fan ) if one of those 3 SEC teams win that side of the bracket I hope its Arkansas. However its safe to say my wife would likely go watch a OU - Arkansaa series at one of our daughters house to keep the peace. Lol.

Texas loses to ND. We play ND Sunday evening while Texas and TAM go at it Sunday afternoon in the losers bracket.

There is no doubt the Fighting Irish have something special happening. But so do these Sooners. It's going to be a monumental head-on collision of a game. I have no gut feel for what's about to happen.

Last edited:
How serious is the loss of the kid that broke his hand ? Pettis is a rock after taking a fastball to his sternum

How serious is the loss of the kid that broke his hand ? Pettis is a rock after taking a fastball to his sternum

Squires is a big loss, but I'm assuming we'll be OK. He's a .310 hitter 43% OB percentage. The Sooners have good depth at fielding.

Interesting note: Tyler Johnson (Skip's son) was named head baseball coach at McLennan Comm. College a couple days ago, the school where Brett Squires and Jimmy Crooks transferred from.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Squires is a big loss, but I'm assuming we'll be OK. He's a .310 hitter 43% OB percentage. The Sooners have good depth at fielding.

Interesting note: Tyler Johnson (Skip's son) was named head baseball coach at McLennan Comm. College a couple days ago, the school where Brett Squires and Jimmy Crooks transferred from.
I will be surprised if Kade Fletcher does not fill the DH spot but let's see what Johnson has in his coffers. Fletcher connects well with the ball. He had problems with patience and went out of the zone too often. He had .340 averaGE and .540 OBP his second year at Paris JC.

I wasn't disappointed. I was thrilled. Taped it and watched til after 1 a.m. But the goal now has to be winning the thing. Otherwise, you're like seven others that just made it to Omaha. As long as we're playing good defense and making good contact, then we have a chance. But when you number two starter, enters the game in relief with an eight run lead, walks the first batter on five pitches, and gets only one out, while facing five or six batters, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the tournament. Especially with the wind blowing in from left at least a little, throw the damn ball in the strike zone.

We also lost our DH for the rest of the tournament, broken wrist on an HBP. And he ran the bases before leaving, remarkably. And our closer threw 48 pitches. I'd be a lot more optimistic, if not for that. The good news is maybe that Notre Dame looked pretty good, but their likely game two starter I believe got beat up in the Supers. If we win that matchup, we'll be in a decent position.

I’m sure this was a part of the list but their pitcher not picking up the ball was hilarious !
Is that scored as an E1 ?
Someone link the replay, please
IAS below is a link to the game highlight with that play in it. If I remember right they scored it a single and honestly I would have done the same.

Thanks five nine !
You are a lot more generous than I would have been as he went through the motion of tagging

Last edited:
Texas A&M vs Texas! This is difficult to say but I think Texas would be an easier opponent than A&M if the occasion presents itself later in the bracket. But dare I say I want Texas to win at anything?
I myself think we blew the air out from under aggy's sails. I think the horn's are gonna knock aggy out here shortly. Jmho.

I myself think we blew the air out from under aggy's sails. I think the horn's are gonna knock aggy out here shortly. Jmho.
Maybe you are right. I just feel that Texas are not as deep in the bull pen and are a younger team. Texas A&M have more errors as a team than the anyone in the regional field of 64. They have more upper classmen and have a solid and deep bullpen that has gotten them out of many games with a win. Let us get by ND and see them face the winner of the battle for texass bragging rights.

Maybe you are right. I just feel that Texas are not as deep in the bull pen and are a younger team. Texas A&M have more errors as a team than the anyone in the regional field of 64. They have more upper classmen and have a solid and deep bullpen that has gotten them out of many games with a win. Let us get by ND and see them face the winner of the battle for texass bragging rights.
6 -2 aggy in the top of the 5th.

Interesting as you can see below the Aggies have had very little success in the CWS.

CWS appearances , record, titles

Arkansas - 11 - ( 15-20 ) 0

Stanford - 18 - ( 41-31 ) 2

Auburn - 6 - ( 3-10 ) 0

Ole Miss - 6 - ( 5-10 ) 0

ND - 3 - ( 3-4 ) 0

AtM - 7 - ( 2-12 ) 0

Tx - 38 - ( 88-63 ) 6

OU - 11 - ( 15-16 ) 2

Thanks five nine !
You are a lot more generous than I would have been as he went through the motion of tagging
I think errors and non errors are defined by each individual keeping score. I know my son in laws father is harder on my grandsons 9U travel team than I am. For instance if a kid takes a bad angle at a fly ball and fails to catch it he is likely to give that kid an error. It might be a bone headed play to speak if he doesnt get to the ball because of that bad angle he took but it also doesnt mean it should be an error because of that. I could certainly see though someone also scoring it as an error like on that pitcher. Basically to me a mental error isnt the same as a physical error.

I think official scorers are like umpires in that each have there own method of what an error is or isnt vs an ump on his balls and strikes zones.

I think errors and non errors are defined by each individual keeping score. I know my son in laws father is harder on my grandsons 9U travel team than I am. For instance if a kid takes a bad angle at a fly ball and fails to catch it he is likely to give that kid an error. It might be a bone headed play to speak if he doesnt get to the ball because of that bad angle he took but it also doesnt mean it should be an error because of that. I could certainly see though someone also scoring it as an error like on that pitcher. Basically to me a mental error isnt the same as a physical error.

I think official scorers are like umpires in that each have there own method of what an error is or isnt vs an ump on his balls and strikes zones.

No way to give an error on a mental error. If the glove doesn’t touch the ball, it has to be a hit IMO. That is a pretty standard, but simplistic way to judge errors vs. hits. There are exceptions such as when the fielder gets the glove on it or comes up with the throw but has no way to get the runner out afterward (too long of a throw b/c ball is hit in the hole or ball is smashed and ricochets off the pitchers glove inadvertently). These would still be given hits even though the glove was involved.

No way to give an error on a mental error. If the glove doesn’t touch the ball, it has to be a hit IMO. That is a pretty standard, but simplistic way to judge errors vs. hits. There are exceptions such as when the fielder gets the glove on it or comes up with the throw but has no way to get the runner out afterward (too long of a throw b/c ball is hit in the hole or ball is smashed and ricochets off the pitchers glove inadvertently). These would still be given hits even though the glove was involved.
Totally agree on all points. Errors are as judgemental as balls and strikes are. There are guidelinenes to go by but in the end its up to the scorer/ump as to how they apply them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT