ADVERTISEMENT

My take

gthstonesman

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2005
As previously stated, the incident was horrible and regrettable in every way imaginable and I can COMPLETELY understand why Striker and others felt the way the did.

STILL can't believe that s$$t happened at OU in this day and age.

That said, Striker's actions have allowed this incident to be spun and blown up into a complete s$$t storm by the media and will undoubtedly be used by other teams against us for years to come.

The media then took the Delance situation and gave him cover to decommit even though he was just looking for a way out (I personally hope we let this kid go and let him be someone else's headache).

These kids just got played and it makes the entire university look awful.

I think Stoops dropped the ball here by not addressing it with the players and staff on Sunday night before it got out of hand.

Now we are left in a position to defend a program/university against accusations of pervasive racism when, in fact, OU has been a pioneer in its commitment to inclusion when other programs wouldn't touch the issue.

So far, other than the video, all I've heard are some vague, general expressions of discomfort by a few players at frat parties and now its a huge thorn in our side (newsflash, EVERYONE feels like an underappreciated outsider when they go to frat parties at houses they don't belong to).

Fortunately, the university and the coaches got its act together and dealt with the incident swiftly; hopefully, what followed will lead to something good at OU and our society in general.

But, for the time being, thanks to Striker's response, there is now a dark cloud over the program and university.

Fortunately, in this 24 hour news cycle, these type of incidents tend to blow over quickly so hopefully the damage won't be ongoing.

But it definitely halted some great momentum we had going for us-if only for a time.

For those who feel I am just upset at what this has done to recruiting, that is not the case-I have NO doubt we will be just fine at the end of the day.

What REALLY pisses me off is how this has cast a dark shadow over a program/university that has been FAR ahead of the curve when it comes to inclusion and race relations in general.

We'll ALL get through this and, hopefully, it will make our team and school better than ever.

BOOMER SOONER

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.