ADVERTISEMENT

My Take....

JohnnyStrikesUptheBand

Sooner signee
Mar 29, 2014
The university has handled this well. President Boren has said all the right things, Coach Stoops, the student-athletes and students who've rallied and spoken have done and said the right things.

It's terrible what was said in the video; it's without question a black eye for the university and may or may not hurt recruiting, but from this hopefully change will occur. Being aware, facing an issue, is always the first step in affecting change.

I've read many of the tweets today from players who expressed pride. They feel the support from the university, its President, the coaching staff, and the community at large.

We all wish this hadn't happened. But in moments like this, it also serves as an opportunity to re-affirm who we are, our true values, and to begin anew, with a larger commitment to treating each other more fairly and with more respect. From the ashes and embarrassment of this act hopefully we truly learn and grow.

There was a reason Dante Jones came to Oklahoma and never considered Texas -- the Longhorns were one of the last schools to give African Americans the opportunity to be part of their sacred university. Oklahoma has long been a place where minorities have been accepted, welcomed.

I've been disappointed in Boren's leadership when it comes to Oklahoma athletics, as well as Stoops passiveness and comfort with falling short of his own high standards on the football field. Today, I can only commend both as well as the entire Oklahoma community for standing up, showing their true values and beliefs, about how all Oklahoma students, citizens, and people should be treated.

This post was edited on 3/9 12:47 PM by JohnnyStrikesUptheBand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News