MT: Mike Farrell on the Big 12

Dr. Mazeppa

Sooner starter
Mar 28, 2007
In your head
His original take.....

1. Play somebody
1605713.jpg

The Big 12 has a big problem and it knows it. The top two teams in the conference, undefeated Baylor and undefeated Oklahoma State, are currently ranked No. 6 and No. 8 respectively in the latest College Football Playoff rankings. And I can tell you this for sure -- if it was undefeated Texas or undefeated Oklahoma, they would be in the top four.

The conference has two problems: The perception that teams like Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State aren't big-time programs and the league's out-of-conference scheduling.

The first problem is hard to fix. The Longhorns and Sooners are more traditional powers and it's very, very hard to break through and join those ranks -- just ask Oregon. The second problem can be fixed and needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

Baylor's out-of-conference schedule this season included SMU, Lamar and Rice while Oklahoma State has played Central Michigan, Central Arkansas and UTSA. Go ahead, I dare you to give me the team names of those six schools. You can probably get the Mustangs, Owls and maybe the Chippewas, but after that you're firing up a Yahoo! search.

The reason Texas and Oklahoma would be in the top four is simple: They have scheduled at least one real team out-of-conference. Oklahoma took on Tennessee, a team that was supposed to be an SEC challenger this year, and Texas scheduled Notre Dame and California. Obviously Texas is far from being undefeated and the Sooners inexplicably lost to the Longhorns to ruin their season, but at least they have some good teams on their resume.

Now the Big 12 has to hope either Baylor or Oklahoma State run the table or that the Sooners beat Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma State and get a lot of help. If none of that happens, the Big 12 will be on the outside looking in again with no one to blame but themselves. - See more at: https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1825088#sthash.5Zld7Tzz.dpuf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.