ADVERTISEMENT

Mordecai is Transfer-in-Waiting

Tollboothmgr

OU scholarship offer
Sep 3, 2017
is it just me or did you all see the look in the kids eyes on the tv close-ups saturday? holy cow did he look scared, panicky whatever. terrible body language. opposite of the elder statesman Hurts of course. understandably so. yet he is probably like so many back-ups at OU who fall in the mold of austin kendall, cody thomas, drew allen, keith nichol, joey halzle, tommy grady, noah allen, hunter wall, etc. You want em to do great when they get their chance to shine but it just seems like such an obvious drop-off in talent when they are in. rushed throws. inaccurate throws. 3 and outs.
Now i'd say it appears different when Rattler is playing. That kid lives up to his name. Strikes like a venomous snake. He'll be the starter next year for sure. That leaves Mordecai as back-up again unless he does like so many and transfers out. Hope he stays though as a capable reserve.

Rattler is our next star QB. Mordecai is a slightly better player than Kendall. Am sure Hurts is showing him all the ropes. That pass to Haselwood was unreal even though incomplete. That combination could be lethal over the next few years.

Reactions: iasooner1
is it just me or did you all see the look in the kids eyes on the tv close-ups saturday? holy cow did he look scared, panicky whatever. terrible body language. opposite of the elder statesman Hurts of course. understandably so. yet he is probably like so many back-ups at OU who fall in the mold of austin kendall, cody thomas, drew allen, keith nichol, joey halzle, tommy grady, noah allen, hunter wall, etc. You want em to do great when they get their chance to shine but it just seems like such an obvious drop-off in talent when they are in. rushed throws. inaccurate throws. 3 and outs.
Now i'd say it appears different when Rattler is playing. That kid lives up to his name. Strikes like a venomous snake. He'll be the starter next year for sure. That leaves Mordecai as back-up again unless he does like so many and transfers out. Hope he stays though as a capable reserve.

You have to remember that he's out there with the twos and threes. But yeah, he looked a little unsettled yesterday.

If Mordecai transfers after this season, who backs up Rattler next year ?
So far, Mordecai this year has completed 11 or 18 passes for 132 yards and two touchdowns and has run once (vs UCLA) for 12 yards. Rattler is 6 of 8 for 73 yards and a touchdown.
He may not become the player that Rattler is but he could be a solid backup, if not this year, next year. Time will tell...and I saw no signs of panic from Mordecai yesterday.

The difference in the opinions of some of you on Mordecai's performance is very interesting, to me. I have a chat buddy who is a former player, and knows his stuff. He realizes that I've watched a game or two, myself. I said I felt 'the deer in the headlights' vibe when Mordecai was out there. He differed, greatly! He thought Mordecai was doing a good job and just needed some playing time. Ours are NEVER arguments...We normally are on exactly the same page, but when we aren't, we cuss, and discuss Why? I believe it would be hard for anyone to be impressive, following Jalen's performance, and I agree that Mordecai is promising. It will be fun to watch his development, and hopefully, we get to see that on our home field...

Last edited:
is it just me or did you all see the look in the kids eyes on the tv close-ups saturday? holy cow did he look scared, panicky whatever. terrible body language. opposite of the elder statesman Hurts of course. understandably so. yet he is probably like so many back-ups at OU who fall in the mold of austin kendall, cody thomas, drew allen, keith nichol, joey halzle...

You can stop there - Halzle is exactly who he looked like, even stature-wise. A bit disappointed he looked so off Saturday.

If Mordecai transfers we're going into 2020 with one scholarship QB (is Tanner Schafer really an option?)?

If Hurts makes it 3 in a row, Riley will be known as the QB guru. why would you leave that, stay at OU play when you can and save your body and arm for the NFL pro-day. He will have spent more time under Riley than any other QB, NFL scouts may see that as a plus and he could be a serviceable backup at the next level. Chase Daniels has made a pretty good living holding a clipboard.

You can stop there - Halzle is exactly who he looked like, even stature-wise. A bit disappointed he looked so off Saturday.

If Mordecai transfers we're going into 2020 with one scholarship QB (is Tanner Schafer really an option?)?
Not unless Colt Atkinson comes out of nowhere

Saw on a forum yesterday that OU is looking at King from Houston, not sure as I have not seen anything to back that up.

Saw on a forum yesterday that OU is looking at King from Houston, not sure as I have not seen anything to back that up.

I personally hope not because bringing in another transfer who will expect to start can send the wrong message to our current QB's on tap for next season. I think Rattler is the future at OU and unless he does something stupid off the field or on the field I see him as the starter next season. So for me bringing in King isn't needed as long as Mordecai hangs around.

Personally speaking I don't want LR to make it a habit of bringing in a new transfer season after season. So far Baker, Murray and now Hurts are working out but next year it is time to hand the reigns over to Rattler who will at least be around for 2020 and 2021. I also think this could hurt LR in recruiting new QB's because other teams will use it against him telling the recruit " Well yes you could sign with OU but are you sure LR won't just go out and get a hot transfer from the portal that pushes you back on the depth chart".

I don't mind only having 1 all-in QB on the roster. Oklahoma is playing for NCAA championships. Besides Tua replacing Jalen (only 1 game), I can't recall another team in the BCS and CFP eras that relied on a backup throughout the season.

Championships are 1 part skill and 1 part health.

I don't mind only having 1 all-in QB on the roster. Oklahoma is playing for NCAA championships. Besides Tua replacing Jalen (only 1 game), I can't recall another team in the BCS and CFP eras that relied on a backup throughout the season.

Championships are 1 part skill and 1 part health.
Riley, and every other coach in CFB, might disagree.

Riley, and every other coach in CFB, might disagree.

No doubt that line of thinking goes against everything a coach stands for. I'm just saying for me, I put no faith in a 2nd string QB taking me to a natty. If #1 goes down, I'm calling the season a bust as a fan expecting championships. I'll still enjoy watching my team just as much, but my expectations will be voided.

No doubt that line of thinking goes against everything a coach stands for. I'm just saying for me, I put no faith in a 2nd string QB taking me to a natty. If #1 goes down, I'm calling the season a bust as a fan expecting championships. I'll still enjoy watching my team just as much, but my expectations will be voided.
Understand what you're saying, but it seems we are talking about two different things.....yes, losing a starting QB would wreck any team's championship chances in most cases, but having one QB through an entire season is playing Russian roulett and could keep a team from having a winning, bowl worthy season. Plus it would not develop any depth behind the starting QB.
The thought of Hurts playing every down in every game is not what any coach or fan wants to see, especially considering how Riley is trying to develop Mordecai and Rattler for future seasons.
Keep in mind that next year, Riley won't have a ready-to-go transfer to play QB for the first time as head coach and for OU's first time since 2015.
Mordecai and Rattler look to get a lot of playing time this season....hopefully in only mop-up roles.

Wait......wasn't it neck and neck between he and Hurts? I love Riley but he has lied his butt off the last two years about the qb situation

I know. I mean I think it’s great too. He’s holding everybody close to the vest. Even a transfer QB from Bama. He made Hurts earn it. That’s good coaching.

The King (Houston QB) to OU deal was a media speculation - just because we have done it 3 years in a row.
King has maintained that he is staying at Houston.
I'd bet the mortgage that he will not play football for the University of Houston next year.
But, the rumors about him to OU are just speculation by bored media.

It will all depend upon what is most important to Mordecai. Starting at QB or being a good soldier as a backup. If he thinks he can transfer and earn a starting QB role the number of scholarship quarterbacks at OU probably won’t be a consideration. If he gives the Sooners one more year that would be a very generous gift. He’s good enough to play every Saturday for some school, IMO.

Right now, we have a commitment from the top quarterback in the 2021 class which is perfect timing, provided he's as good as advertised, for a successor to Rattler. It might be hard to sell a top guy in the 2020 class with Rattler already here and Vandagriff on the way. They do have Michael Henderson coming in next year and even though he's being recruited as an "athlete", he may be the guy to prepare as a backup if Mordecai decides to leave. I'm sure LR has a plan, and I wouldn't be surprised if Henderson is part of it.

If he were the starter, the Sooners would have 4-5 losses in 2019. Keep hearing he has the best arm but I'll challange that belief with Rattler's arm. He certainly has hypertension issues as a QB. Rattler will start in 2020.

Reactions: CalSooner
If he were the starter, the Sooners would have 4-5 losses in 2019. Keep hearing he has the best arm but I'll challange that belief with Rattler's arm. He certainly has hypertension issues as a QB. Rattler will start in 2020.
Maybe so, but combining Mordecai's inexperience and lesser talent level to an elite QB like Hurts......and a rebuilt offensive line....and a defense that's still a work-in-process....have to be considered factors as well.
Right now, Hurts is the face of this 2019 team. So goes him, so goes OU's chances.

Do you think we would be 5-0 if Mordecai had started all five games this young season? If not, who do you feel would have beaten us? Just wondering.

Mordecai looks like a very accurate passer with good mechanics...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT