ADVERTISEMENT

Monday post practice tidbits ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Just got home a bit ago from post practice where we actually were able to meet with a couple of 'new' faces in the Oklahoma program. Those include: Baker Mayfield & Mark Andrews as well as some old faces in Trevor Knight, Daniel Brooks.

* Talking with the head man for a bit tonight (we'll have SCOOPHD of that convo up later) Bob Stoops really didn't have a whole lot to say. As Carey reported on Saturday Samaje Perine was held out of the scrimmage with a migraine. He practiced today but that was more because they were keeping everyone up, not taking anyone to the ground. (insert your tackling joke here).

* Stoops said he really doesn't care to see guys like Perine and Sterling Shepard on Saturday at the spring game. Hard to disagree with him there. I'm pretty sure we know what they can do.

* Stoops had some interesting thoughts on the spring game/open practices. He noted that they had welcomed as many offers during this spring period as they ever have. Thought that was interesting.

This was brought up when he was asked if he thinks 'Friday Night Lights' type of spring game was something they needed to do in the future. Stoops said he did not.

* Stoops said there aren't any plans to name a starting QB ... we'll have a little bit more on that below.

* Moving on to the players ...

* We were able to speak with Daniel Brooks this evening ... he's in an interesting spot as he should get a number of carries on Saturday with Joe Mixon, Rodney Anderson OUT for the game and then Samaje's situation.

* Talking with Brooks you really get the feeling the coaching change offensively was something he welcomed with open arms. He spoke about how much he loves the offense. It was interesting when spoke of the new offense being something that he has really picked up quickly.

* Brooks said in comparison to Josh Heupel's offense ... Lincoln Riley's new look isn't as confusing for the running back in terms of picking up guys in pass pro.

* I really, really liked talking with Daniel tonight. Hope he's someone we speak to more of in the future.

* That gets us to the talk of spring camp and our first interview session with one Baker Mayfield. BM was a bit subdued tonight. We were actually giving him a hard time about it.

* Mayfield said he would like the coaches to name a starter out of spring prac but, of course, said it wasn't something that is a make or break type situation. Kind of like how I think it would be awesome if someone gave me a million dollars but I know that won't happen.

* Mayfield was honest in saying the offense brought in by Riley is something he is very familiar with. Asked how close it is to the offense he ran at Texas Tech ... 'very similar'.

* Mayfield said that Riley did contact him when he initially announced his transfer from Lubbock but 'it was late in the process' and he was dead set on coming to Oklahoma.

* Mayfield said he grew up an Oklahoma fan ... said he grew up attending home games watching guys like Josh Heupel, Rodney Rideau & Corey Callens. Thought that was pretty cool.

* My personal opinion ... Berry Tramel hit it on the head ... I think something drastic would have to happen for Baker Mayfield NOT to be the starting quarterback when Oklahoma takes the field vs. Akron.

* We were able to speak with Mark Andrews this evening. He is a massive human being. Mayfield said Andrews reminds him exactly of Jace Amaro. Talking with Andrews he said he's watched film of Tech/Amaro as well as Jermaine Gresham/Oklahoma.

* Andrews said he still considers himself a tight end. He told RJ he is weighing 245 right now and working on his blocking vs. a guy like Charles Tapper everyday has helped him in many, many ways.

* Dede Westbrook spoke with the media tonight ... he's a lot bigger than you would think. Atleast that was my first thought. A bigger, more physical Jalen Saunders is probably the best thing I have heard as far as his game.

We'll keep adding more as we work through the night. Want to get the Stoops stuff up ASAP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.