ADVERTISEMENT

Monday post-practice notes (8/6, Update: More from Bob)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
OK, the 15-minute photo/video session is up. @Eddie_Rado will have sights 'n sounds as always. Carey and myself loaded up on photos.

I spent a lot of time with the new guys on defense. The time was pretty truncated, too, because right when I was about to shift to offense, we were told time's up.

- Limited in action: Rodney Anderson, Brayden Willis, Mykel Jones, Sam Iheke. All were running but not working with their respective position groups.

- Not suited: Chanse Sylvie, Starrland Baldwin (back on crutches?), Michael Thompson, Jalen Redmond.

- Watching the DBs? Vocal group. You put Parnell Motley, Justin Broiles and Bookie together, and it's non-stop chatter. You hope Broiles' vocal confidence can lead to some production on the field. Bookie just carries himself differently than everybody else. DTYell was getting some vocal praise for how hard he was working.

- Watching the LBs? Brian Asamoah and DaShaun White look the part, physically, but clearly still have a ways to go mentally. Every rep I saw (admittedly not that much) was them looking incredibly hesitant or unsure of what they were being asked to do. Not a major red flag at this point, just an observation. Really like watching Addison Gumbs. If he doesn't become dat dude, will be surprised. Nik Bonitto has some nice size, too.

- Watching the DL? Nobody was talking in this group (outside of Thibs). I'm sure Neville was around, I just don't remember seeing him or taking any photos of him. A lot of Amani Bledsoe, Kenneth Mann, Que Overton, maybe I just missed him? Was getting around to watch more DL and switch to offense when told time was up.

Again, spent the majority watching the younger guys. Thought would get a second shot to look at the vets and offense. Just not to be this time around. Perhaps Carey or Eddie have more info, sorry.

Back later. Offensive players and coaches at around 11:15 or so.

UPDATE

ADDED BY CAREY:

Neville was definitely in a boot as I was walking over to the O-Line. Looked like Baldwin had a sleeve on his right leg from the ankle to above the knee cap and he was on crutches. Also Kennedy Brooks was out.

T.J. Pledger looked really good going through drills with the RBs. Trey Sermon looks like he's back 100% after that offseason hyper-extension scare.

Watched the Stoops kids running routes. Austin Kendall looks good. He looks like a guy that has leaned up and put on some muscle during the offseason. Might have added a little zip to the ball. Looks like he's taking this competition very seriously.

Not anything that just wow'd me about Mordecai dropping back and throwing. Clearly a talented thrower.

CeeDee Lamb was taking tons of reps today.

I was standing over with an administrator taking some pics of the offensive line and I said, 'The DB group sure is barking today.' Un-named administrator said, 'Yep, that Justin Broiles. He's always got them doing something.'

I didn't get to see a lot of DL and let Bob handle the defense today.

Calcaterra looked good. More drops than you wanted to see from some guys, saw A.D. Miller drop a couple right to him. Didn't notice a lot of Rambo this morning. I think he was over on the other side of the field.

OL looked solid. Bedenbaugh really taking a lot of time with Ford working on technique while I was over there watching them.

Update: Cody Ford video.

POST PRACTICE TIDBITS

FROM CAREY

- All I can tell you is Kyler Murray didn't exactly shut the door on this being is final year. He didn't really open it all back up, but it seems like he can't quite shut the door.

"I'll play this year like it's my last year, if I were to come back next year. To me it's national championship or failure" said Murray who wasn't crystal clear on what he meant.

Jason Kersey just bluntly asked him if he was coming back next year.

"I'm worried about this season and this season only," Murray answered.

I think asked him what would happen if he had a season this year like the one Baker had last year.

"That's for them to decide," Murray answered. "Obviously right now I'm going to play baseball. But I'm going to focus on this season and whatever happens, happens but right now my destiny - we already know what's happening. For me, to go out here and be successful is the plan"

- I asked Ben Powers what players on the offensive line really stood out in summer workouts and who has really carried that to the field so far in practices.

He named Creed Humphrey, Jonathan Alvarez, Bobby Evans, Dru Samia and Cody Ford. Basically all the guys in the mix for starting jobs are guys that impressed him.

I spent most of my time with Kyler Murray and Powers after practice. CeeDee Lamb was there as well as Cody Ford (who Bob talked to extensively) and Bobby Evans.

- OU decided just to let Kyler Murray talk today even though Austin Kendall was also requested. I would imagine they'll switch it up with both those QBs from week-to-week.

- The team practiced in uppers today so they are getting close to full pads, even though they really don't go all the way to the ground even in full pads.

Update: From Boneman.

Spent time with Carson Meier and Cody Ford (essentially ditched Meier once knew Ford was ready).

Carson Meier

- More of a personal thing than anything really concrete, but just didn't sense the urgency in his voice. Hard to describe, and I could be reading into things too much. Sometimes you can tell a guy that was in the shadows when he was younger but now 'gets it' as a senior. Meier didn't give me that impression today.

- Learned a lot from Dimitri Flowers in the backup role but definitely eager to compete vs. Jeremiah Hall for that spot.

- Mentioned Shane Beamer as a fresh face. This is the one point I kinda wanted to hit on with him, but then Ford came along. Was wondering if having a new coach sorta gave him a clean slate/fresh start? Instead of any preconceived notions from years of working with another coach.

- Said he's pumped to be able to be a receiver. Dream of a tight end isn't just to block but to catch passes, too.

So not too much there, some bits and pieces.

Cody Ford

- Was ready to rep at LG, RG and right tackle heading into spring and now turns out he's a tackle. You can still hear the disbelief in his voice.

- Had to change his diet considerably, no more Diamond Dawgs. Loves being lighter. Shows up in his daily life and on film.

- Relationship with Bobby Evans is great, no matter who is LT or RT. They go wherever they're told and practice wherever they're supposed to practice. "That's my guy."

- You can hear the urgency in his voice about wanting a chance to play. It wasn't gonna happen at guard unless there was an injury so he jumped on chance at tackle.

- Doesn't matter to him if it's left or right. He feels more comfortable at right. Bedenbaugh says he's more natural at left. Still, none of that matters. Just wants to play.

- Would have more but wanna save it for the full-length story. So we'll end with his quote on Brey Walker. Asked about Brey, Darrell Simpson and Tramonda Moore. And Ford was quick to give Walker the kudos:

"Brey Walker is going to be a good player. He’s slowly getting it. And you can see it sometimes when we’re in the film room, you can see he’s getting better and better every day."

And that will do it for me for Mon. practice notes. Back at it Tues for defensive players and coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.