ADVERTISEMENT

Mixon getting praise

If Joe is as good as it appears, the incident last year may cost Sooner fans because he may be only in an OU uniform for two seasons since he will be eligible for the NFL after the 2016 season unless his suspension cancels out the "three years out of high school" rule. Don't think it did.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
If Joe is as good as it appears, the incident last year may cost Sooner fans because he may be only in an OU uniform for two seasons since he will be eligible for the NFL after the 2016 season unless his suspension cancels out the "three years out of high school" rule. Don't think it did.

I don't care, if we get one good year out of this guy, he can join the Black Panthers for all I care...I just want an un-shared league title again...like of vintage Sooner lore.

I'm way too hungry to be too be picky about the menu.

I think you may be right. Not only that, but it's very likely OU loses Mixon and Perine to the draft at the same time. From all the practice and scrimmage reports I have read they are both having incredible fall camps.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I think you may be right. Not only that, but it's very likely OU loses Mixon and Perine to the draft at the same time. From all the practice and scrimmage reports I have read they are both having incredible fall camps.

This is true. But if these two can set the standard the next couple of years, there should be some top RBs lined up to replace them. The future is bright at RB.

I'm just a self-centered, selfish old fart of a Sooner fan that never liked the rule change that allowed college eligible athletes to leave for the pros. I admit it. I want to enjoy four uninterrupted years of fandom for each great Sooner player. So shoot me.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
I'm just a self-centered, selfish old fart of a Sooner fan that never liked the rule change that allowed college eligible athletes to leave for the pros. I admit it. I want to enjoy four uninterrupted years of fandom for each great Sooner player. So shoot me.

Yeah, just imagine if they still had the frosh ineligible rule. Two years and the stars would be out o there!

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I'm with you Bama....but CFB is as much a "minor league" system to the NFL as it is its own sport and whatever the NFL wants, the NFL gets.....like early illegibility from college players. CFB coaches have to plan to lose key players before their senior, and sometimes, their junior year. It's just another thing about contemporary football that I dislike.
As much as I have followed and loved college football in my life, there is a lot of bullshit surrounding the game these days that turn me off and that diminish my love of the game. Guess that falls in line with me being "an angry old white man"....but then, if I were 25 years old, I would still feel the same way.
One reason I like the UConn womens basketball team is I get to see the players for four years...and know that they are actually pursuing a degree and staying out of trouble....and dominating their sport.

I'm with you Bama....but CFB is as much a "minor league" system to the NFL as it is its own sport and whatever the NFL wants, the NFL gets.....like early illegibility from college players. CFB coaches have to plan to lose key players before their senior, and sometimes, their junior year. It's just another thing about contemporary football that I dislike.
As much as I have followed and loved college football in my life, there is a lot of bullshit surrounding the game these days that turn me off and that diminish my love of the game. Guess that falls in line with me being "an angry old white man"....but then, if I were 25 years old, I would still feel the same way.
One reason I like the UConn womens basketball team is I get to see the players for four years...and know that they are actually pursuing a degree and staying out of trouble....and dominating their sport.

I guess being near 70 years old has its advantages. I enjoyed watching the senior seasons for so many great Sooners beginning in the 50's, throughout the 60's and '70's, and into the '80's. I suppose I should be grateful for that. What really gets my goat is that so many kids leave too early and never achieve what they should instead of staying the course. There have been so many, but the appeal for the bright lights and money is overwhelming.

CT and Oklabama, I feel the same way as you guys on the kids leaving early for the NFL. And it has nothing to do with being older, younger, or anything like that. It does suck. When a kid leaves early, it's nearly always a kid that could have been HUGE for OU the next season. As OU fans, hell we would love to see kids like Bradford, AD, McCoy, etc stay and play at OU every year until they have to leave. But I won't deny that I can certainly see the side of the athlete that needs to do what is best for them. The NFL is the ultimate goal for most of these kids, and if they can get their sooner rather than later, then I don't blame them for making the leap. As long as it's an intelligent decision and not just wishful thinking as to where they will go in the draft. Guys like Reggie Smith come to mind. But for kids like AD and Bradford, the decision is pretty easy. If my son was in the same situation, I wouldn't hesitate a second to tell them to declare and go make the money. It's a huge risk to remain in college and risk an injury that slams the door shut on NFL dreams and NFL money.

BillyRay, given the rule that allows an early jump to the NFL, I agree with you 100%. I just don't like the damn rule, but it is what it is and there's nothing that I can do about it but pout. I just keep remembering back to Tommy McDonald, Granny Liggins, Steve Owens, Greg Pruitt, Little Joe, Rod Shoate, the Selmons, Billy Sims, De' Mond Parker and the rest of the great Sooners that played their senior years.....check that De'Mond left early, remember. If the rule had been in place back then a good many of our All-Americans would have taken advantage of it and the Sooners may not have won as many games, conference titles and perhaps not even as many national championships. Many of our AAs didn't become an AA until their senior year. There is no way to measure the affect the rule would have had on Bud and Barry's records. I'm finished crying now. This is what happens when I stay away from the board too long. LOL BOOMER!

VG-F_C.gif

While lamenting the great Sooners that have left early (or would have it they could), keep in mind that the great players of our opponents leave early as well. Its something of a zero sum game.

Hopefully Mixon has a wonderful year. Couldn't happen to a better kid and the overwhelming support from OU fans is amazing and says so much about such a lovely fan base.
You know, you're right. Sooner fans are a lovely fan base. Knowledgeable, objective, humble, self-deprecating, and loyal are words that describe and define Sooner fans. When I compare that to a fan base that is arrogant, elitist, judgmental, delusional, and fair weather, I proudly count myself among the former.

You know, you're right. Sooner fans are a lovely fan base. Knowledgeable, objective, humble, self-deprecating, and loyal are words that describe and define Sooner fans. When I compare that to a fan base that is arrogant, elitist, judgmental, delusional, and fair weather, I proudly count myself among the former.

Bravo Littlejoe24!

Now, let's kick some MORE Bevo ass again this year...we're on a roll!

While lamenting the great Sooners that have left early (or would have it they could), keep in mind that the great players of our opponents leave early as well. Its something of a zero sum game.

So true. And because of this the college game is not near what it was at one time. All teams lose their best players and it has an effect on the quality of today vs. the quality of back when. But since all teams face the same issue, the balance & parody remains the same. The difference that I see today is the attempt to identify an undisputed National Champion and the media supporting this effort as they make big money. This has been the center focus for CFB for quite a few years. We as fans are now being subjected to these changes and we appear to hungry for more as ratings are at an all time high. Other words, despite each year losing our brightest stars, we continue to enjoy CFB. Primarily I think due to fan loyalty and alumni attachment.

This could be the best one-two combo since Demarco Murray and Chris Brown. Now we need to be sure that they get utilized properly in the "Air Raid" offense. I really want to see Shep have an explosively good year. He's earned it.

One concern I do have is we seemingly lack that Ripper fullback. Flowers was hyped early last season, but unsure what his role will be.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
OkB, one of the interesting things about your list is that only Billy Sims redshirted and only Sims and the two younger Selmons and Joe W were eligible for the varsity as freshmen.

Pruitt, Owens, Jack Mildren, Liggins, McDonald, Shoate, Lucious Selmon, Ralph Neely, all the greats of the 50s, 60s and those who graduated by 1974, played only three years of varsity football. Same as Bradford, McCoy, Peterson, Roy Williams, Jamal Brown, Trey Williams, Jermaine Gresham and any other first round stud who left early.

Four years for those who are not as great is reasonable. But for a first round talent, leaving is more reasonable.

I thought Trey was crazy to leave early and I still think he is overrated. But he keeps getting voted to the annual NFL Network top 100 team, selected by the players, so what do I know?

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
Trent Williams?
You sure you just don't like him because of his beef with the school? I believe there were quotes from Stoops himself claiming Trent to be the best OL he'd ever had... at the time.

Trent also finished his senior year at OU.

For the record, the suspension does not affect Mixon's NFL abilities.
The rule reads that they have to be three years removed from graduation from High School.
They don't have to attend college at all. Just be three years removed from HS graduation.

Reactions: cblakec
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT