ADVERTISEMENT

Mixon / Dvoracek Comparison

LongTimeSooner

Sooner commitment
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2015
People are pretty ignorant of Stoops' past in 'giving 2nd chances'.

Remember when Dusty Dvoracek beat his friend's face in and put him in the ICU? I think my memory is right: He got suspended for a year, did some rehabilitation and penance, came back for a senior year and was drafted without any issues.

Now the dude is on ESPN like some sparkly golden boy.

The big difference seems to be no video exists of Dusty's incident, but because Mixon's is on TV and in thousands of tweets, Stoops is somehow being inconsistent or wrong.

Perhaps my memory fails me, but in the Dusty situation wasn't the friend just as much at fault? Meaning both guys were drunk and Dusty just happened to be the bigger guy and won the fight. I'm old so forgive me if I remember the situation as such. Help me out please.

Remember when Dusty Dvoracek beat his friend's face in and put him in the ICU? I think my memory is right: He got suspended for a year, did some rehabilitation and penance, came back for a senior year and was drafted without any issues.

The big difference seems to be no video exists of Dusty's incident, but because Mixon's is on TV and in thousands of tweets, Stoops is somehow being inconsistent or wrong.
big difference in today's environment is that Dusty hit a guy. Today hitting a girl is unforgiveable - not that I agree with the present political correctness crap that is ruining America

Right or wrong, it's the video that makes all the difference. Dvoracek's career in broadcasting would not exist if his violence had been captured on film and played by millions on the internet.

Reactions: iasooner1
Tyreek Hill hit his pregnant girlfriend, suspended a year at OSU, decided to transfer his senior year. He was drafted late (6th round) but he had a very good year and has a bright future in front of him.. Nothing has never been said about him hitting his girlfriend. Maybe if Mixon had waited a year nothing would ever be brought up about it again.

Right or wrong, it's the video that makes all the difference. Dvoracek's career in broadcasting would not exist if his violence had been captured on film and played by millions on the internet.
I don't believe this at all. You really think his career would have been affected by a video of Dusty beating the brakes off another guy?? C'mon....

Tyreek Hill hit his pregnant girlfriend, suspended a year at OSU, decided to transfer his senior year. He was drafted late (6th round) but he had a very good year and has a bright future in front of him.. Nothing has never been said about him hitting his girlfriend. Maybe if Mixon had waited a year nothing would ever be brought up about it again.
Hill was dismissed from the team, not suspended.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...guilty-domestic-assault-battery-strangulation

I don't believe this at all. You really think his career would have been affected by a video of Dusty beating the brakes off another guy?? C'mon....
Would your career be more defined or affected if you beat the crap out of the likes of me in one of your units?!?!? And, if so, could you please mace my face after clubbing me? Ha!

If the beating was as severe/merciless as the account that was told, I do believe it would have impeded his career dramatically to have it captured on film. Even against another guy.

People have a hard time looking beyond those sorts of graphic images. Again, I'm not saying it's fair. It just is what it is.

I think deep down most people are just incredibly uncomfortable with the reality that we all have that sort of rage/capacity within ourselves. I think that is the chief reason the reaction is so strong. We marginalize people who are "caught with their monster unleashed" because we like to think we're above it.

It is all a sad pretense, of course. And it only serves to exacerbate the violence problem.

And it's different, moving beyond that sort of footage into a career in football vs a career in broadcasting. A career in broadcasting requires the ability to build rapport with viewers. That ability would be severely impaired by a video of that nature.

Especially in today's culture, I think such a video would be a non-starter for most broadcasting employers.

I'm not saying it is right. I'm just saying that it is.

Smacking a guy or a woman can get you in deep dodo today if you are a college athlete, but the pros don't give a crap. If they think you can help them win, then they will draft you or let you try to earn a spot. College coaches like Bob Stoops probably aren't going to let a kid stay on the team if he has seriously injured anyone. A scuffle will be looked at differently, but what Dusty and Joe did.....no chance of playing for OU anymore. At least, that's the impression Bob has given. Of course, every case is different, but still it's not the same anymore. Joe is going to be drafted just like Dusty was. He may take a money hit, but if he's good, he can recover whatever he loss.

People have a hard time looking beyond those sorts of graphic images. Again, I'm not saying it's fair. It just is what it is.
Yet they glorify those who get in a ring or octagon and do it. Whenever a human being places their hands upon another, don't be surprised when they get hit.

It's pretty much 6 of one, a half dozen of the other, but FWIW, Dusty was kicked off the team, not suspended.

It's pretty much 6 of one, a half dozen of the other, but FWIW, Dusty was kicked off the team, not suspended.

I know it's more than just semantics, but really, what's the difference?
Maybe Joe's was immediately announced as a suspension, because the coaches had prior experience with kicking Dusty off and then deciding to bring him back.
At any rate, both cases resulted in a player not being able to participate in any team related activities for a year, and their return was based on completion of a few contingencies. It just comes down to those contingencies being clarified up front and displayed for the world to see or not.

Not only that he hit her in the stomach, and strangled her. No video.

If the beating was as severe/merciless as the account that was told, I do believe it would have impeded his career dramatically to have it captured on film. Even against another guy.

I think deep down most people are just incredibly uncomfortable with the reality that we all have that sort of rage/capacity within ourselves. I think that is the chief reason the reaction is so strong. We marginalize people who are "caught with their monster unleashed" because we like to think we're above it.

It is all a sad pretense, of course. And it only serves to exacerbate the violence problem.

And it's different, moving beyond that sort of footage into a career in football vs a career in broadcasting. A career in broadcasting requires the ability to build rapport with viewers. That ability would be severely impaired by a video of that nature.

Especially in today's culture, I think such a video would be a non-starter for most broadcasting employers.

I'm not saying it is right. I'm just saying that it is.
That's fine you can believe whatever you want. But I refuse to believe a person's chosen career may be affected over being videotaped during a fight between 2 drunk college students over 10 years ago.

Inaccurate summary. Dusty didn't get a year. Dusty was gone. He spent some time rehabilitating in several areas of his life, and asked to come back and was allowed to. He did some alcoholism education and got his life fixed.

The circumstance were different. Dusty was drunk, and beat up a friend of his. They liked each other. But Dusty off the field was a bully, and got that fixed.

Mixon's event was provoked. It can be argued, properly, that he way way overreacted. The girl's responsiblity has been brushed aside by those who see the 215 pound athlete cold cocking the 120 pound coed. But she started it. Mixon threw one punch and was trying to walk away, when she wouldn't let it go. That he continues to pay for this 30 months later is ironic, but the way it is.

Joe was right to make his statement, taking full responsibility, because in counseling, you learn quickly that you can only change you. He owned up to more than his responsibility. As was mentioned, the presence of video to be rewatched is a big factor in this. He did break her face. I'm guessing that she'll be a lot wiser in the future in similar events. But she'll get off scot free in future rekindling of the event. Unfairly, in my view. She may even make a bunch of money on the deal, which shows the injustice of our justice system.

I think the one thing that Dusty and Joe have in common is that they took advantage of their second chance to get to play again at OU. But the dynamics were different. It remains to be seen how much Joe's overall career can be rejuvenated. There will be those who will try to keep him from ever playing in the NFL.

Last edited:
While we rehash the near fatal beating Dusty administered to his friend, I'd like to interject a little bit of factual information. It's a little pet peeve of mine since our friends down south embellished the story to include beating with a baseball bat, beating with a Toyota Corolla, and parabolic assault with a super collider.

What is known factually is that his friend's head struck a curb on a street outside Bison Witches. What isn't clearly known was whether one punch caused him to fall and strike his head or he was shoved and fell and struck his head. The injuries his friend received were consistent with striking his head on the concrete during a fall. His injuries were not indicative of a beating by being struck numerous or even multiple times.

He was never near death, on life support, or any of that lusty sounding stuff. Patients with the type of injury the friend received are routinely kept in the ICU for several days for neuro checks and close monitoring. Repeat imaging is par for the course. Once everything is verified stable, the patient gets moved out of the ICU to a floor bed to be prepared for discharge in the very near future.

That all said, believe this factual information or don't. There are a few folks here that know who I am and would probably vouch for my having factual information like this. I don't like to disclose any type of personal information on here any longer, but rest assured my board handle is an accurate description of sorts as to how I spend my work hours.

Carry on with this fine discussion my fellow Sooners (not sarcasm, really good and interesting read of opinions).

yeah, I'd take a low denomination bet with just about anyone here (anyone who takes me up on this will not be included in 'just about everyone') that Joe goes first round to mid second.

of everyone from a skill position to come out of ou since I've been old enough to watch, Mixon is only surpassed by Peterson in nfl talent...that includes Bradford.

assuming he stays healthy, Mixon will be an nfl star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT